Student attendance

Shark84

I don't think throwing a few dollars in the student section is going to motivate many to show up. What if they got businesses to donate laptops, tv's, gift cards ECT.would help any. What if Dr S. offered to give away tuition for a semester. We aren't hurting for students so I think we could handle it. Students on this board already show up at games but do you think others would if they sweetened the pot?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

44 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

I don't think throwing a few dollars in the student section is going to motivate many to show up. What if they got businesses to donate laptops, tv's, gift cards ECT.would help any. What if Dr S. offered to give away tuition for a semester. We aren't hurting for students so I think we could handle it. Students on this board already show up at games but do you think others would if they sweetened the pot?

They need to make the student section exciting again and that starts with moving them there and out of other seats. Extended the student section and the band to the 5 sections at the far end and get them there to pack it out!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

How much marketing is done on campus to draw students to the games?  When I was in school there was very little promotion for the basketball games.  It's not like football where you know there is basically a game every Saturday in the fall.  I usually found out by reading the NT Daily or because I was interested in attending.  What is done to alert the students to the games?  I would think that if they did some promoting around campus, invite the Greeks and other social organizations, promote the games through RHA, etc... and drew some students word would get our that this is a fun team to watch.  I loved games at the SP.  The pep band is great and it is a good atmosphere to watch a game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

How much marketing is done on campus to draw students to the games?  When I was in school there was very little promotion for the basketball games.  It's not like football where you know there is basically a game every Saturday in the fall.  I usually found out by reading the NT Daily or because I was interested in attending.  What is done to alert the students to the games?  I would think that if they did some promoting around campus, invite the Greeks and other social organizations, promote the games through RHA, etc... and drew some students word would get our that this is a fun team to watch.  I loved games at the SP.  The pep band is great and it is a good atmosphere to watch a game.

There was a ton of on campus promotion during the mid to later years of the Johnny Jones era. That and the on court results eventually led to a very respectable and reliable student crowd. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

There was a ton of on campus promotion during the mid to later years of the Johnny Jones era. That and the on court results eventually led to a very respectable and reliable student crowd. 

Do they do anything now?

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

I know the university has an alert system that they use to notify students of dangers over their cell phones. For instance if there is a tornado or active shooter, the students get the alert via cell phone immediately. Maybe they could use something similar to notify students of an upcoming game. I don't know if I would use the emergency app because we don't want to alarm students. I can tell you that placing signs out do not work because students today do not read signs, don't read papers, and do not watch TV. They get all of their information over cell phone, social media, hulu, netflix, etc. I teach at a high school and a student suggested to me that we watch the Super Bowl at school and charge admission. I asked him why would anyone pay to come watch a game that was free? He had no idea that the game came on TV for free. He told me that you know people don't have cable any longer. I told him you don't need cable, you just need regular TV. I got it that he is high school, but college students are not too far removed from high school. Basically for my students, if they don't get it over that phone, they have no idea what is happening around them.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

What if...
Students were issued an old fashioned raffle ticket as they enter the game. At halftime the students would drop the ticket in the bucket, keeping the stub, and the "must-be-present" drawing held directly after the game. The winner gets a pretty decent prize like $1K ,or equivalent of some such. Keep your stub because it's good for a free whatever from the concession at the next home game. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

What if...
Students were issued an old fashioned raffle ticket as they enter the game. At halftime the students would drop the ticket in the bucket, keeping the stub, and the "must-be-present" drawing held directly after the game. The winner gets a pretty decent prize like $1K ,or equivalent of some such. Keep your stub because it's good for a free whatever from the concession at the next home game. 

Good idea, but I think the problem is getting them there in the first place to participate. This will keep students who attend at the games, but I am not sure it would get students who do not attend to the game if they do not know about the raffle tickets in the first place. Now maybe handing them out to professors to issue in class may get them there.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

They need to have more contests. One year they had a free throw contest that anyone could compete in and it carried over from game to game until the winner was decided late in conference play. And honestly I don’t even think the prize was 1k... 

I also remember they use to do a 10k half court shot every game, but once someone made it they didn’t do it again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

23 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

If you sent out an email on the university student email system you would reach all enrolled students. Don't give cash. Free semester of school would be very attractive to most students and not really cost the schook anything.

This, my friends, is a winner. Students already have paid to go to the game through tuition and fees. A chance to get a semester free would have me at all of the games I could make.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Consistent winning leads to consistent attendance. Fun product + fun experience = repeat customers 

I’m glad someone said it. There was 8K+ for the Oklahoma game earlier this year, people came out and were not rewarded with a win. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Yeah you’re right I’m thinking of the disgusting Western Kentucky game. Damn people got down vote prepped and ready 😂

Yes that game was a huge crowd, but it wasn’t organic. There were some huge groups (primarily sitting in the upper level) attending that game as part of a special event. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Yes that game was a huge crowd, but it wasn’t organic. There were some huge groups (primarily sitting in the upper level) attending that game as part of a special event. 

Yeah I notice that a lot. I appreciate that they try...this Saturday is Arcade Night. I’m a huge sports fan but to get that casual fan into the arena....it’s an uphill battle. The last game I had to tell my fellow students what conference were in and that it’s Div I.....I’ve had to do that multiple times as a student. You just have to keep winning and I know no one wants to hear that but I don’t know what else to say  

• Upvote 2