Rico Bussey Has entered the Portal

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would be nice, but I'm guessing that ship has sailed. I believe he is set on moving on. He is too good of a player not to get on somewhere.

Yes, my crush in high school left me for the QB of the football team.  I kept trying to get her back and she would have none of it.  My mom told me once a woman makes up her mind its over.  Same situation here I'm afraid.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

but he is not a team player imo.

I personally wouldn't make that leap.

Carlos H. was one I always thought was more memememe.  I never got that vibe from Rico.  We got 3 great years out of him.  a great team player for 3 years.  He's lost his team bond at UNT, but a fresh start might be exactly what he needs.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I know everyone says it's no big deal and some of our fans even wish them well but for me, I don't want NT to become a revolving door.  I guess that is what bothers me about these things.  Doesn't anyone stick to their commitments anymore? 

Sometimes players have disagreements with coaches, same thing happens in regular life at our jobs.  These kids should have the freedom to make a choice whether they want to stay or go just like anybody else does, including the coaches.  If Rico was still on great terms with the team and coaches and left just to go play P5 football I might agree with you but that's clearly not what happened here.

• Thanks 2

Anyone else feel like he is running out of time? With all this madness happening you cant help but wonder if his window of opportunity is dwindling!

I want Rico to ball out next year no matter where he goes and gets drafted but I cant help to think if his options are running dry

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Anyone else feel like he is running out of time? With all this madness happening you cant help but wonder if his window of opportunity is dwindling!

I want Rico to ball out next year no matter where he goes and gets drafted but I cant help to think if his options are running dry

I personally don't believe so.  We never were able to confirm his graduation as far as I know, so my guess is that schools are waiting to see if he actually graduates so they know if he would even be eligible this season as the rules currently stand.

He is apparently healthy again, so once he graduates I would expect he has a few options to choose from.

• Lovely Take 2

• 2 months later...

Bussey was transferring to Hawaii supposedly for more exposure against high profile teams. That's not gonna happen.

Hawaii had nonconference games scheduled against Pac-12 opponents in Arizona (Aug. 29), UCLA (Sept. 5) and Oregon (Sept. 19) for the 2020 season. All three games are now canceled due to the Pac-12 choosing to only play against conference members. Additionally, Fordham has already cancelled their game at Hawaii due to excessive travel dangers.

The Bows’ are now set to tentatively open the season at home against Robert Morris of Pennsylvania if Hawaii's partial season still gets played.

I don't know how severely Rico burnt his bridges at North Texas and if there is any interest in him returning (from either side), but it is looking more and more like Hawaii will not be playing football this coming season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

23 hours ago, ADLER said:

Bussey was transferring to Hawaii supposedly for more exposure against high profile teams. That's not gonna happen.

Hawaii had nonconference games scheduled against Pac-12 opponents in Arizona (Aug. 29), UCLA (Sept. 5) and Oregon (Sept. 19) for the 2020 season. All three games are now canceled due to the Pac-12 choosing to only play against conference members. Additionally, Fordham has already cancelled their game at Hawaii due to excessive travel dangers.

The Bows’ are now set to tentatively open the season at home against Robert Morris of Pennsylvania if Hawaii's partial season still gets played.

I don't know how severely Rico burnt his bridges at North Texas and if there is any interest in him returning (from either side), but it is looking more and more like Hawaii will not be playing football this coming season. 

That is rough. But I really don't think this was really forseeable when decisions were made (in early february I think).

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/15/2020 at 3:31 AM, ADLER said:

This is a good lesson that the grass aint always greener...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

38 minutes ago, Travis said:

This is a good lesson that the grass aint always greener...

The grass was greener.  Bussey had line-of-sight vision into the yard and bought his ticket.  The lesson is that, sometimes life rains weed and grass killer right before you depart.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I think Hawaii will call it a season soon.

They may not have an option. Not only will visiting teams not want to make that flight, but its becoming more probable that the state of Hawaii will not let them in. This week the state has extended their strict 'two week quarantine' for visitors from the mainland until September, with plans to keep extending the quarantine until the pandemic passes.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Moobs said:

If there is no season for Hawaii, and if/when Rico gets drafted, does Roger Goddell now say, "Rico Bussey, WR, Hawaii" or does he say, "North Texas"?  Can we break our draftless streak with Rico?  🤔

I am not taking the bait on this one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3