Rico Bussey Has entered the Portal

TheReal_jayD

6 minutes ago, meanrob said:

This is the new norm, if we're going to get butthurt every time it happens, we're in for a bumpy ride. 

This is why raising the overall talent is just as important as a great player here and there. Gotta keep the ball rolling forward. 

"New Norm" doesn't necessarily make it right. It just helps to continue empowering the "Me is greater than "We". Some are all for it, other not so much so.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4

14 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

"New Norm" doesn't necessarily make it right. It just helps to continue empowering the "Me is greater than "We". Some are all for it, other not so much so.

Sounds like you have an issue with the people who raised him. Maybe there's a way you all could connect directly?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Again, this is an awful rule that greatly hurts G5's and lower tier P5s.

It also puts in question, the wisdom of providing summer school to athletes. 

Woolridge, Bussey and countless others are doing what they perceive is best for them, certainly can't fault that.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Sounds like you have an issue with the people who raised him. Maybe there's a way you all could connect directly?

No issue. Each of us is entitled to his/her own opinion.  To be honest, at the end of the day what this particular person does will most likely never have a direct impact on me. 

For me it's just a case not agreeing with he way the transfers are happening. As I said before, if you want to transfer because your not getting playing time, or perhaps the HC was fired then it's one thing, but to transfer because you feel your better than the place you are at is another.

• Upvote 4

2 Things:

1.  If he graduated, then he's an alumnus of our University, and I congratulate him on doing so with an additional year of eligibility remaining.  I wish him nothing but success moving forward.

2.  Didn't he tear his ACL, and is yet to have surgery?   I can't see any program at all taking a flyer on him since he won't be able to practice this spring if he has surgery. And if he doesn't have surgery at all... I would think coaches won't believe he will be able to play, reliably, at a high level.

• Upvote 5

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

2 Things:

1.  If he graduated, then he's an alumnus of our University, and I congratulate him on doing so with an additional year of eligibility remaining.  I wish him nothing but success moving forward.

2.  Didn't he tear his ACL, and is yet to have surgery?   I can't see any program at all taking a flyer on him since he won't be able to practice this spring if he has surgery. And if he doesn't have surgery at all... I would think coaches won't believe he will be able to play, reliably, at a high level.

Question. What are the "rules" for a schools medical responsibilities"

If he leaves the program, is UNT responsible for his medical treatment if he decides to have surgery later? If he goes to a new school and, god forbid, gets hurt on the first day, I assume they are responsible?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Question. What are the "rules" for a schools medical responsibilities"

If he leaves the program, is UNT responsible for his medical treatment if he decides to have surgery later? If he goes to a new school and, god forbid, gets hurt on the first day, I assume they are responsible?

I think if he's enrolled in classes at NT, he's NT's responsibility.   

If he's not enrolled anywhere, it's his own insurance.

And if he's enrolled at another school, he'll be their responsibility.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think if he's enrolled in classes at NT, he's NT's responsibility.   

If he's not enrolled anywhere, it's his own insurance.

And if he's enrolled at another school, he'll be their responsibility.

TOTALLY SPECULATION - I wonder if in any way might be that UNT wanted him to have surgery and he did not want to?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So here's a question on a slow Friday -

1) If a player transfers out that was great at UNT should he still be considered for the schools HOF?

2) What if that same player goes to another school, gets drafter, and gives the acknowledgement to that school in the NFL? Does it change your mind?

I get the feeling he wants nothing to do with this school anymore. Just like Guyton, he’ll probably erase any mention or pictures of himself in a North Texas uniform. It is what it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

If you graduate then move on and play at another school elsewhere then you certainly should be recognized for your accomplishments here if they were HOF worthy.  Otherwise you will still be in the stats/record book anyways.

I hope he’s able to Get things turned around and do well down the road.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No issue. Each of us is entitled to his/her own opinion.  To be honest, at the end of the day what this particular person does will most likely never have a direct impact on me. 

Based on the 10+ posts you've made about it so far, this is a very aspirational group of untrue sentences. If you're gonna get mad online, really go for it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 4

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Again, this is an awful rule that greatly hurts G5's and lower tier P5s.

It also puts in question, the wisdom of providing summer school to athletes. 

Woolridge, Bussey and countless others are doing what they perceive is best for them, certainly can't fault that.

They’re working out and practicing for the team over the summer. Plus they often are encouraged to not take a full class load during the season. They earn the summer classes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Quoner said:

Based on the 10+ posts you've made about it so far, this is a very aspirational group of untrue sentences. If you're gonna get mad online, really go for it. 

Sorry I forgot to remember you know more about people than they know about themselves. Must be nice to be even half of what you think you are. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Don’t know about Rico or Ryan for that matter.  What I despise are extremely talented athletes that leave a University after only one successful season playing their respective sport, then going pro.  Example, Jordan Speith the pro golfer.  Left UT after one year of playing for the whorns, never got a degree, and, yet, the Sports guys call him a UT Alum.  I say bullshit!

i know, I know.  Who cares about the whorns?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

They’re working out and practicing for the team over the summer. Plus they often are encouraged to not take a full class load during the season. They earn the summer classes.

Back in the day, about the only ones going to summer school were players that were in academic danger.

That has morphed into today's practice of basically sending everyone to summer school.   Not just to provide more practice and development opportunities, but also to provide additional financial support.

Universities are going to question the wisdom of providing summer school .  Why spend money to facilitate your best athletes departure in what should be their best athletic year?

Not sure what earn their classes mean.   They earn their ships, but I doubt there is anything in a  scholarship contract that obligates the university to provide summer school. 

2 hours ago, MEEN2018 said:

That’s stupid to say. He played hard here and had some great years. If he stays at UNT he is going to have a young QB that has basically never played in college determining his NFL future. He would probably max out as a 4th-5th round pick with everything going perfect here. He has a chance to be a 2nd round pick or so if he has a good year at a P5. 

I don’t want to see him leave either, but people also have to be realistic. This is a family decision to potentially set them up for years to come. 

I love UNT, but anyone that would put a school above doing what is best for his family and career is just being stupid and petty.

Plus 1

10 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Don’t know about Rico or Ryan for that matter.  What I despise are extremely talented athletes that leave a University after only one successful season playing their respective sport, then going pro.  Example, Jordan Speith the pro golfer.  Left UT after one year of playing for the whorns, never got a degree, and, yet, the Sports guys call him a UT Alum.  I say bullshit!

i know, I know.  Who cares about the whorns?

So if Cade Cunningham randomly decided he wanted back out of his OKSt commitment and sign with NT (he's going to be a 1-and-done), you would be pissed about it, and never claim him?

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Back in the day, about the only ones going to summer school were players that were in academic danger.

That has morphed into today's practice of basically sending everyone to summer school.   Not just to provide more practice and development opportunities, but also to provide additional financial support.

Universities are going to question the wisdom of providing summer school .  Why spend money to facilitate your best athletes departure in what should be their best athletic year?

Not sure what earn their classes mean.   They earn their ships, but I doubt there is anything in a  scholarship contract that obligates the university to provide summer school. 

It means if you’re gonna make them have mandatory summer workouts then they should be getting their compensation for it, which is free classes. And if they’re encouraged to take just 12 hours because of the time commitment of the season every fall instead of taking 15 hours like most students, they should get to make it up over the summer. 

My guess is we’re gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I agree that it can in many instances disadvantage G5 programs, but I don’t think the grad transfer rule is a bad thing at all. I also think it benefits G5 schools in plenty of cases too. I think it’s great for the players and I’m for it because of that. And if it means my school loses out on a redshirt senior season of a player who made a big impact in his first three seasons and took care of his academics, I think any anger at that player is misdirected.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I get the feeling he wants nothing to do with this school anymore. Just like Guyton, he’ll probably erase any mention or pictures of himself in a North Texas uniform. It is what it is. 

https://twitter.com/_dreamjg/status/1141778933832138753

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not showing him as immediately eligible? Is he a Grad Transfer?

image.png.59b77b1cc76866808d9e4284813ddc50.png

He would have to be, right? His five year clock would expire after the 2020 season if I’m not mistaken unless he gets a hardship waiver somehow.

As an aside, I don’t know why some of you are all torn up about it he was “only” a 2 star.

• Downvote 1