Rico Bussey Has entered the Portal

TheReal_jayD

So here's a question on a slow Friday -

1) If a player transfers out that was great at UNT should he still be considered for the schools HOF?

2) What if that same player goes to another school, gets drafter, and gives the acknowledgement to that school in the NFL? Does it change your mind?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

40 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I wish him well, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of transferring to see if the grass is greener. Not just in our case but other as well. It's one thing if your not getting playing time, or maybe a coaching change, but when a G5 player has a good career and seems to be wanting to test the greener field, not so much.

I would never, for example, have wanted to see Mason transfer. I think it would have damaged his legacy. I know more and more people want the player to almost be able to come and go as they please, but I, personally, believe it is taking away form the game.

How do you feel about Ryan Woolridge?

https://gozags.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/ryan-woolridge/3127

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Wish he cared about us as much as he cares about himself.

That’s stupid to say. He played hard here and had some great years. If he stays at UNT he is going to have a young QB that has basically never played in college determining his NFL future. He would probably max out as a 4th-5th round pick with everything going perfect here. He has a chance to be a 2nd round pick or so if he has a good year at a P5. 

I don’t want to see him leave either, but people also have to be realistic. This is a family decision to potentially set them up for years to come. 

I love UNT, but anyone that would put a school above doing what is best for his family and career is just being stupid and petty.

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 10

32 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So here's a question on a slow Friday -

1) If a player transfers out that was great at UNT should he still be considered for the schools HOF?

2) What if that same player goes to another school, gets drafter, and gives the acknowledgement to that school in the NFL? Does it change your mind?

1. Yes, we have shown the bar is low for our NT hall of fame and just like Hayden Fry, his being great somewhere else doesn’t diminish how great he was here. Folks like Darvin Kidsy, Darius Carey, and Ryan Woolridge who had pretty good UNT careers (non HOF careers, with maybe the exception of Woolridge) went on to do even greater things at their next stop.

While I would prefer them to stay here I can’t fault them for wanting to see what else is out there. You only get 4 1/3 seasons to play this game at the collegiate level and you never will have that chance again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Charlie NT 73 said:

What would Rico do if no other schools offer a scholarship to him?

Would RICO move back to the Mean Green to play here next year?

If this did happen, and he was no longer welcomed back and his scholarship was not renewed many people would say how unfair UNT is.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Wish him well, but he chose to leave my school, and I choose to move on from him . If he plays on the next level somewhere doubt he references/credit UNT.

Again, just my person opinion, but he left to find what he thought were greener pastures. He, in all honestly, and perhaps correctly, thought he was better than UNT. 

AC: What goals have you set for the 2019-2020 season?

RW: Personally, I just want to leave my mark. I want to compete every game and actually win a championship. I want to make an impact not just on the court but also with the Spokane community.

Very telling answer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.slipperstillfits.com/platform/amp/2019/6/24/18716047/talking-with-the-newest-zag-ryan-woolridge

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1