UNT AD Budget Surplus

Harry

I read this in this morning's DR-C.  Much of the reason given is that we have finally paid off contracts bought out by the Athletic Dept (Rick V and Coach MAC). 

The article said the Athletic Department was in the black with a bit over $850,000. in surplus.  Doesn't money left over after expenses mean we made a profit in 2019 ? 

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I read this in this morning's DR-C.  Much of the reason given is that we have finally paid off contracts bought out by the Athletic Dept (Rick V and Coach MAC). 

The article said the Athletic Department was in the black with a bit over $850,000. in surplus.  Doesn't money left over after expenses mean we made a profit in 2019 ? 

One would think. But like all things associated with Government/Education I am sure they will come up with a way to "officially" have no profit.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, drex said:

Never announce a surplus in your budget if you don't want that much cut from the next budget...anyway, that is the way it works with most government entities.

Very valid point -- but it also helps when you are looking for expansion projects to be able to show you are in the black and not running a deficit.  I recall a lot of the opponents of Apogee were making a stink about the AD losing money.

There are no profits and/or losses for non-profits, only surpluses or deficits.

Deficits must be reimbursed and surpluses invested in the school. 

There are all kinds of allocations and transfers between segments of NT.  Number is basically meaningless and only represents a timing difference in the recording of theoritical transfers. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Very valid point -- but it also helps when you are looking for expansion projects to be able to show you are in the black and not running a deficit.  I recall a lot of the opponents of Apogee were making a stink about the AD losing money.

Uh...doesn't seem this was announced. Vito said he obtained a report required for the NCAA (the annual NCAA financial report) to write the story. So Vito announced it, not UNT.

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Damn sure better not be a ticket price increase this year.

Renewal notices are already out. I can’t remember what I paid last year, so I’m not sure if there was an increase or not. If there was an increase, I think it was pretty small. 

I don't think the Athletic Department will or should promote this surplus claim.  Compare 2015 to 2018 (the latest year I was able to find data):

Ticket Sales          Contributions        Licensing          Student Fees           School Funds        Other

$1,593,007            $2,484,532            $6,209,156         $10,724,272            $9,354,805             $946,526

$1,379,978             $2,278,815            $5,603,596         $10,555,896            $15,192,262           $2,991,829

I selected 2015 because it was RV's last year.  Institutional support has increased by over $5.7 million. When I locate the 2019 numbers I will post them but I doubt that Institutional funds have decreased. Institutional funds were $0 as recently as 2006 and $24,581 as recently as 2012. We have posters who go on the CUSA board and crow about a surplus and it is no wonder that they are mocked by others when the source of funding is disclosed. 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, MCMLXXX said:

I don't think the Athletic Department will or should promote this surplus claim.  Compare 2015 to 2018 (the latest year I was able to find data):

Ticket Sales          Contributions        Licensing          Student Fees           School Funds        Other

$1,593,007            $2,484,532            $6,209,156         $10,724,272            $9,354,805             $946,526

$1,379,978             $2,278,815            $5,603,596         $10,555,896            $15,192,262           $2,991,829

I selected 2015 because it was RV's last year.  Institutional support has increased by over $5.7 million. When I locate the 2019 numbers I will post them but I doubt that Institutional funds have decreased. Institutional funds were $0 as recently as 2006 and $24,581 as recently as 2012. We have posters who go on the CUSA board and crow about a surplus and it is no wonder that they are mocked by others when the source of funding is disclosed. 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

You know institutional support going up is not a good thing. .That is the shortfall of revenues to cover expenses that must be made up by transferring funds from other parts of university.  

• Eye Roll 1

37 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

You know institutional support going up is not a good thing. .That is the shortfall of revenues to cover expenses that must be made up by transferring funds from other parts of university.  

Last year the athletic department started putting all of these online as part of the transparency part of the strategic plan. RV's last budget would have been FY 16. He was here through almost all of 15/16 school year. Would definitely have been his budget. That report can be found at https://s3.amazonaws.com/meangreensports.com/documents/2019/10/17/2016_NCAA_Report.pdf

The FY 19 report is up too. It can be found at https://s3.amazonaws.com/meangreensports.com/documents/2019/10/17/2016_NCAA_Report.pdf

I took a snapshot below. 

Of note, pretty much everything category is up with the exception of conference revenues 😞. Contributions are down from FY 16 but up the past two years. However, Vito has mentioned several times contributions count as a revenue only when they also count as na expense. So if someone gives you money and you don't spend it, then it doesn't count. I'd expect to see the contributions number climb in a hurry when the IPF debt service payments kick in. 

Overall, I think the trendline is positive. Revenues are growing across the board. Looks like University took up the slack of the lower conference revenues and lower body bag game revenues plus a little. Student fee is helping. 

Ticket sales:

FY 16     $985,735

FY 19     $1,761,878

Student Fees

FY 16     $10,713,469

FY 19     $12,613,611

Direct Institutional Support

FY 16     $9,509,556

FY 19     $15,489,411

Guarantees Revenue

FY 16     $1,983,325

FY 17     $1,136,570

Media Rights

FY 16     $0

FY 19     $439,667

NCAA Distribution

FY 16     $1,040,503

FY 19     $1,342,891

Conference distribution

FY 16     $2,255,251

FY 19     $957,903

Royalties, Licensing, advertising and sponsorships

FY 16     $2,008,208

FY 19     $2,042,939

Contributions

FY 16     $3,438,225

FY 19     $2,682,814

(FY 17 - $1,020,052; FY 18 - $2,278,816)

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't think that's true because the last two year there were deficits. I think the University decides up front how much they are willing to allocate. Depending on your POV, that number growing could be good or bad. If you think athletics is a good investment for UNT, then it's a good thing especially when guarantee (body bag) revenue and conference distribution combined to decreased by over $2 million. As a sports fan, I'm pleased.A non-sports fan probably wouldn't see it the same. But I think everyone knew the University had put more into athletics the past few years. The University contribution was $15,192,262 in FY 2018 so it only grew by $300k from last year.

• Upvote 1