THOUGHTS ON TODAY'S SIGNINGS

El Paso Eagle

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Agreed, somewhere there is a photograph of Riley being carried off Fouts Field on a stretcher with his face mask removed while holding up his talon hand sign. That kids gave everything he had. The difference between him and Mason? Mason was out in WAY better situations than Riley ever was. You put a prime Riley Dodge in the same 4-year stretch Mason had? You have a quarterback with Mason’s vision and accuracy with the ability to run like Bean.

If "prime" means that Riley had never been hurt before arriving at NT, then you may have a point. But if we are inserting past QB's into the Mason Fine years, then my view is that the coaching made a huge difference. You could insert Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, Scott Hall and Daniel Maeger into the same situation and they would have done just as well.....if not better. Because all on that list had better arms, better wheels, and they were all more durable than either Fine or Dodge. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, eulessismore said:

I really think he got an arm injury in a playoff game I saw him play against Euless Trinity that never healed properly. Gutsy kid, but I think there were times he was out there playing that he shouldn't be.

I have been following Eagle football since my freshman year of 1961, and why Riley was certainly not our most gifted QB I have never seen a player with more guts. He was undersized with mediocre arm and played hurt when most players wouldn't.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wardly said:

I have been following Eagle football since my freshman year of 1961, and why Riley was certainly not our most gifted QB I have never seen a player with more guts. He was undersized with mediocre arm and played hurt when most players wouldn't.

He was a fantastic Freshman Slot Wide Receiver.  That should have been his permanent position here.  He would have had a Darden-like career with Vizza throwing to him... but somenone had to get spooked and get very poor advice from daddy.  Then, Riley was thrust into the QB role, and he played admirably.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was a fantastic Freshman Slot Wide Receiver.  That should have been his permanent position here.  He would have had a Darden-like career with Vizza throwing to him... but somenone had to get spooked and get very poor advice from daddy.  Then, Riley was thrust into the QB role, and he played admirably.

Vizza got the crap beat out of him that freshman year on that old Fours turf and I’m sure he felt as if the HS facilities he played in at Alamo Heights was way better than he had here at the time. I think he looked at the beating he took and always felt insecure about Riley being there and decided to move on. 

13 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Vizza got the crap beat out of him that freshman year on that old Fours turf and I’m sure he felt as if the HS facilities he played in at Alamo Heights was way better than he had here at the time. I think he looked at the beating he took and always felt insecure about Riley being there and decided to move on. 

image.png.5155c16b0bfca6d825dac1ee900468d1.png

• Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

If "prime" means that Riley had never been hurt before arriving at NT, then you may have a point. But if we are inserting past QB's into the Mason Fine years, then my view is that the coaching made a huge difference. You could insert Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, Scott Hall and Daniel Maeger into the same situation and they would have done just as well.....if not better. Because all on that list had better arms, better wheels, and they were all more durable than either Fine or Dodge. 

While I agree to a point, I never saw Davis or Maher play but Hall and Meager did not have Riley Dodge speed.