THOUGHTS ON TODAY'S SIGNINGS

El Paso Eagle

We signed 2 of the 3 most were thinking we would. Not sad, just not as happy as I had hoped to be.

Hopefully we land a couple of quality transfers with the remaining two scholarships.

Overall, looks to be another very solid class. Hope someday soon we are able to 

sign a "breakthrough" (4* +) player.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

28 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We signed 2 of the 3 most were thinking we would. Not sad, just not as happy as I had hoped to be.

Hopefully we land a couple of quality transfers with the remaining two scholarships.

Overall, looks to be another very solid class. Hope someday soon we are able to 

sign a "breakthrough" (4* +) player.

we got close once....    and he was pretty awesome...

https://247sports.com/player/riley-dodge-56990/

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Marty said:

Cam Feldt signed with Arkansas out of high school. We signed his 3-star brother Boone out of high school. 
https://247sports.com/player/boone-feldt-279/

My recollection is that Riley or Jamario were our highrlest rated recruits since the ratings services started up.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I'm not gonna argue about his value purely as a QB, but IMO there is always room on our roster for a kid that fought like he did.

Agreed, somewhere there is a photograph of Riley being carried off Fouts Field on a stretcher with his face mask removed while holding up his talon hand sign. That kids gave everything he had. The difference between him and Mason? Mason was out in WAY better situations than Riley ever was. You put a prime Riley Dodge in the same 4-year stretch Mason had? You have a quarterback with Mason’s vision and accuracy with the ability to run like Bean.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yes he was, he was intended to be a receiver because his arm had an ulnar nerve injury that never fully healed from high school. When Vizza left he filled in but his last year with us (2010), he was not even on the qb depth chart yet he was thrust into the starting role after Nathan Tune and Derek Thompson were injured and the only other semi-qb on roster was walk-on receiver Chase Blaine.

Say what you want about Todd Dodge but don’t give me that coach’s son bullsh, that kid poured his heart and soul into this team and his body just couldn’t take the punishment. He is our highest rated recruit ever, period, and he’d never have set foot on our campus if he weren’t the “coach’s son”. You may not know this but Mason is second on North Texas’ all time completion percentage list. Our all-time leader? Riley Dodge. So go spit your crybaby bull somewhere else Mrs Vizza. Rag on the coach all you want but Riley did nothing wrong other than play his heart out for this team.

I went to UNT during the Dodge years. I had friends that were football players. I'm sorry my comment triggered you. I could give a flying you know what about Vizza. He will always be remembered as a quitter. 

Riley did have heart, but he wasn't awesome as originally stated. 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

38 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I went to UNT during the Dodge years. I had friends that were football players. I'm sorry my comment triggered you. I could give a flying you know what about Vizza. He will always be remembered as a quitter. 

His recruiting rating was as an athlete and not as a quarterback. Before he flipped to us, he was set to go to Texas as a wide receiver or defensive back.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

He was good but his body just couldn’t hold up. 

• Upvote 2