UNT lands Juco OT

TheReal_jayD

• Harry featured this topic

Is he the answer?  I hope he is, but he isn't rated, had a fair offer list and has a pretty good video, so what makes him an instant starter?  I hope he comes in and is dominant from the get-go, but I am trying to determine where these expectations come from.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Is he the answer?  I hope he is, but he isn't rated, had a fair offer list and has a pretty good video, so what makes him an instant starter?  I hope he comes in and is dominant from the get-go, but I am trying to determine where these expectations come from.

I think it adds depth. I don't plan for him to come in and be savior. I hope Parish and Brammer are the Starters. But I don't think you can have too much competition or depth on either lines. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think it adds depth. I don't plan for him to come in and be savior. I hope Parish and Brammer are the Starters. But I don't think you can have too much competition or depth on either lines. 

Parish is only 270 lbs. Brammer isn’t much better at 280. That’s concerning.

24 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Parish is only 270 lbs. Brammer isn’t much better at 280. That’s concerning.

Weight can be overcome to some degree.

“Gill was a four-year letterman on North Texas football team (three at left tackle, one at tight end) and a two-year captain. He earned first team Sun Belt All-Conference honors and was a 2010 NSCA All-American on the field. “

6’4” 265lbs 

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/victor-gill/1299

42 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Not trying to be a nitpicker here but if you can't come in and start on this OLine, then why are we bringing in a JUCO? At any position for that matter.....I think the thought process should be we go high school every time unless a transfer or JUCO can start at that position.

My cent and a half. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

Not trying to be a nitpicker here but if you can't come in and start on this OLine, then why are we bringing in a JUCO? At any position for that matter.....I think the thought process should be we go high school every time unless a transfer or JUCO can start at that position.

My cent and a half. 

Still need depth. You need your backups to be as close to performing as the starters. A very good backup an be a game saver

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Still need depth. You need your backups to be as close to performing as the starters. A very good backup an be a game saver

Hard to get excited about bringing in a back-up at a position of weakness. 

We don't need depth, we need improvement. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Hard to get excited about bringing in a back-up at a position of weakness. 

We don't need depth, we need improvement. 

I agree with the part about needing improvement, but we also don't know how our returnees have improved over the off-season.  I expect improvement just from the coaching change alone and think that could do wonders for some of these youngsters on the roster.  I understand everyone's thoughts, but some of these comments made it sound like this guy was a borderline 4 star walking in a having a guaranteed spot on the starting line, and I don't see that.  

Now, I love the signing.  He's got great size, long arms and appears to have pretty good feet.  Welcome to Denton and UNT Mr. Turpin.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree with the part about needing improvement, but we also don't know how our returnees have improved over the off-season.  I expect improvement just from the coaching change alone and think that could do wonders for some of these youngsters on the roster.  I understand everyone's thoughts, but some of these comments made it sound like this guy was a borderline 4 star walking in a having a guaranteed spot on the starting line, and I don't see that.  

Now, I love the signing.  He's got great size, long arms and appears to have pretty good feet.  Welcome to Denton and UNT Mr. Turpin.

I don't follow recruiting that much but I'd like to think I'm smart enough to know that a "1" next to North Texas is better than the number we've had in recent recruiting classes. Recruiting is getting better which makes me happy. However, when we bring in these transfers or JUCOs, the EXCITEMENT needle for me doesn't move very often, especially if they don't project as a starter. Who knows, this kid could be a mainstay for two years but right now, a projected back-up OL for a team that went 4-8 last year doesn't do much. 

Having said that, I'm probably higher on this team then most on here. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Weight can be overcome to some degree.

“Gill was a four-year letterman on North Texas football team (three at left tackle, one at tight end) and a two-year captain. He earned first team Sun Belt All-Conference honors and was a 2010 NSCA All-American on the field. “

6’4” 265lbs 

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/victor-gill/1299

IIRC, Gill was a freaking machine with his technique.  If he's the guy that I'm thinking of, it is unfair to hold anyone else to that standard lol.

22 minutes ago, greenminer said:

IIRC, Gill was a freaking machine with his technique.  If he's the guy that I'm thinking of, it is unfair to hold anyone else to that standard lol.

Gil and Andy Brewster were both undersized but killed their opponents with technique.

I like his tape more than Anterrious Grays who we beat Prairie View A&M and Southern for but I'm not overly excited. On tape Gray has really slow feet, is clearly suited to play inside and unfortunately I didn't see anything to lead me to believe he will be an effective guard either. 

Does anyone realize how insane it is that heading in to year five zero high school OL we have signed have been good enough from day one to not get redshirted, and zero high school OL signees have turned out to be all conference players? The new OL coach had 4 all conference selections in his first season, 1 in his second season, 1 in the third, and zero last season. That's not encouraging, the history of busts is very discouraging, and the only thing we can hang our hat on with this signing is "hey at least we beat UTSA for the JUCO tackle who won't make it to campus until the fall and likely won't help in year one of 2 years of eligibility".

I don't want to be Mr. Negative but I don't get it, to me it's like the McMillan and Sa'afi signings for the DL a couple years ago. They're guys with big frames who don't offer anything more than depth. Signing a project DE who needs to add 50 lbs or a high school kid who's talented but might not qualify seem like better uses of two scholarships to me...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2