Cobbs to UTSA

greenjoe

No.  Not that Cobbs.  The 4.0 scholar and State Champion runner-up from Guyer High has committed to UTSA.  

Now his family and friends can see him right here in DENTON every other year when another elite DENTON County product comes to town with UTSA.  

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 8

6 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Gosh, I wish there was someone on our staff who could have assessed this kid and what we have returning at running back.  Perhaps someone who played RB here and now coaches them.  Maybe that person could have made an intelligent decision on whether to offer a scholarship when we have multiple needs in this class.  

Maybe somebody named, oh I don’t know, Cobbs?  

Thank you. Some people need to get over this. If he has a great career at UTSA good for him. Get over it he was not recruited here for a reason.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Gosh, I wish there was someone on our staff who could have assessed this kid and what we have returning at running back.  Perhaps someone who played RB here and now coaches them.  Maybe that person could have made an intelligent decision on whether to offer a scholarship when we have multiple needs in this class.  

Maybe somebody named, oh I don’t know, Cobbs?  

Not only that, the person you speak of has intimate knowledge of the running back situation of all Denton ISD schools as he was a running backs coach at Ryan before NT.

I’m sure Kaedric is a fine young man but he lacks the D1 speed our other running backs (including this year’s signee Isaiah Johnson) possess.

Here is another possibility, maybe coach Walsh is just a dick and we don’t want to spend time on trying to get his players with him working against us.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I care because he is a local kid and he won the Doak Walker Award.  The top high school player in the nation.  I care because North Texas is the local university and the kid and the university share the same zip code (almost). We had a chance to offer the best high school player in the nation an opportunity to play at North Texas and we passed.  There was no guarantee that Cobbs would want to attend NT but we took that old adage, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

I bet this kid makes us regret this decision.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I care because he is a local kid and he won the Doak Walker Award.  The top high school player in the nation.  I care because North Texas is the local university and the kid and the university share the same zip code (almost). We had a chance to offer the best high school player in the nation an opportunity to play at North Texas and we passed.  There was no guarantee that Cobbs would want to attend NT but we took that old adage, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

GO MEAN GREEN

The best football player in the nation is not going to UTSA.  

Cobbs may become a great player, just like many others that NT did not offer. 

However, we should recognize that the people at NT that would benefit most from signing him, did not. 

We don't know why, but the best guess is that they signed others that they believed in more. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

29 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

The award he won is not given to the top high school player in the nation. If so, he would be picking between the Alabama’s and Clemson’s not the UTSA’s and ACU’s. He is a great young man and a fabulous student but not the best in the nation. 

https://daveyobrienaward.org/davey-obrien-high-school-scholarship/

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The award he won is not given to the top high school player in the nation. If so, he would be picking between the Alabama’s and Clemson’s not the UTSA’s and ACU’s. He is a great young man and a fabulous student but not the best in the nation. 

https://daveyobrienaward.org/davey-obrien-high-school-scholarship/

For ease here is the text that matters. 

Since 1986, the Davey O’Brien High School Scholarship has provided more than $700,000 to outstanding high school senior student-athletes in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and beyond. Recipients are chosen on the basis of character, community service, leadership, scholarship and varsity sports participation. The recipient receives a $30,000 scholarship, while the four finalists receive a $2,500 scholarship each.

AND....

for context , last year’s winner was a girl’s soccer player from Frisco who now plays for Pomona college. Hardly the best football player in the nation. 
https://daveyobrienaward.org/2019/01/wakelands-mandell-named-high-school-scholarship-winner/

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Also, judging from the 5 seconds of Addaway we saw, and 2 more years of Siggers... any RBs we sign are gonna be doing a lot of watching from the sidelines for most of their careers.   Johnson has his work cut out for him.... and he was the one our staff really wanted!

Some of the best 5 seconds I’ve seen😂 ran over 2 defenders if I’m right

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

I think Mason has shown us that this staff looks beyond the awards.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over this one.  Nor hold your breath over any possible regret.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think Mason has shown us that this staff looks beyond the awards.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over this one.  Nor hold your breath over any possible regret.

You mean the only two time Gatorade Oklahoma player of the year? I kid, I kid, I know what you mean and the Davey O’Brien scholarship is not a football award, it is a good student-athlete in the community award. Gatorade player of the year IS a football award.

I guarantee the kid wanted to get out of Denton and not play FOR his father and in the shadow of his father’s legend at UNT. 

Seth has shown a great willingness to offer ‘ships to his coaching buddies’ kids. Of course we approached this young man about playing here and it was agreed that he would pursue other opportunities.

I’m disappointed but I understand why. Seth and his staff aren’t perfect. They aren’t idiots either. 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I guarantee the kid wanted to get out of Denton and not play FOR his father and in the shadow of his father’s legend at UNT. 

Seth has shown a great willingness to offer ‘ships to his coaching buddies’ kids. Of course we approached this young man about playing here and it was agreed that he would pursue other opportunities.

I’m disappointed but I understand why. Seth and his staff aren’t perfect. They aren’t idiots either. 

Man, this assumption may be more pervasive than the "We were named after Mean Joe Greene" fallacy.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2