Rice (2/1/20)

CMJ

This was a really bad loss. No way to call it any different. I’m a very disappointed Mean Green fan. As others have stated - it feels like we’re cursed to not be able to sustain momentum and deliver on fan expectations.

Our trademark defensive intensity just didn’t seem to be there all game. That inbounds play off the 3 pointer that cut the Rice lead down to 5 with about a minute to play was an inexcusable breakdown. You should never be able to throw and uncontested full court pass for an easy layup. Very poor situational awareness. That one sealed our fate. 

That said, you do have to credit Rice. They were raining down threes all game and put an immense amount of pressure on us. It never really stopped either. For as poor as we played at times - especially in regards to taking care of the ball and taking advantage of quality defensive stops on our end- we were still in the game until the very end.

Going to be very interested to see how we bounce back. Several very winnable games in front of us.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:16 AM, MeanMag said:

Rice shot 53% from 3. Western Kentucky shot 48%. If you shoot close to the 50% mark from 3, you're probably going to win - and you probably deserve to.

Late to the party, but so did UNT is this game. It wasn't about Rice being hot, it was turnovers and bad decisions and coaching and effort. It was a lesson.

It's probably my fault, the last time I felt this confident about a UNT team was the Louisana Tech game in football two years ago late 2nd quarter at home. We were 4-0 and cruising and talking about getting ranked and then bam, lost that game and the season went down the drain.

Hopefully basketball isn't reading their clippings because WKU has the elite talent in this league not UNT.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Late to the party, but so did UNT is this game. It wasn't about Rice being hot, it was turnovers and bad decisions and coaching and effort. It was a lesson.

It's probably my fault, the last time I felt this confident about a UNT team was the Louisana Tech game in football two years ago late 2nd quarter at home. We were 4-0 and cruising and talking about getting ranked and then bam, lost that game and the season went down the drain.

Hopefully basketball isn't reading their clippings because WKU has the elite talent in this league not UNT.

WKU may have had the elite talent starting the season, but they certainly don't now.  They are playing with basically 5 players and have no size.  

They are still playing hard and smart, but if NT can't beat them than they are going to lose to several other league teams.  

Both NT loses as noted above have been to teams  that shot unconsciously good from behind the 3 point line.  

NT is overall the best three shooting team in CUSA, and I think they are relying on that too much.   Get back to being a defense first outfit. 

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

WKU may have had the elite talent starting the season, but they certainly don't now.  They are playing with basically 5 players and have no size.  

You must know something I don't because I've been under the impression that WKU is still the best talent from 1 to the end of the bench, even without their superstar center.  

Are they far-and-away, take-a-night-off-and-still-win, better? No.  But I think the athleticism is still there.

It never fails. We have frequent get togethers at my brother's house, and I am the only UNT fan. When I watch football or basketball games there, I am usually relegated to a side TV or computer monitor because no one but me cares about the outcome.  I'll be darn if the very few times that they take an interest, we lay an egg. I had the UNT vs. Rice game on the main poolside TV with quite a few people, including friends and family, watching the game, and I was really talking up our team only to lose to a Rice team with a terrible record.....Geez. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, chrisfisher said:

It never fails. We have frequent get togethers at my brother's house, and I am the only UNT fan. When I watch football or basketball games there, I am usually relegated to a side TV or computer monitor because no one but me cares about the outcome.  I'll be darn if the very few times that they take an interest, we lay an egg. I had the UNT vs. Rice game on the main poolside TV with quite a few people, including friends and family, watching the game, and I was really talking up our team only to lose to a Rice team with a terrible record.....Geez. 

Star Wars Helmet GIF by SportsManias

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

You must know something I don't because I've been under the impression that WKU is still the best talent from 1 to the end of the bench, even without their superstar center.  

Are they far-and-away, take-a-night-off-and-still-win, better? No.  But I think the athleticism is still there.

Well, I have watched a bunch of their games,.  NT in my opinion has  overall the best talent.   Savage and Hollingworth are very good guards but, no starter over 6'5 and usually only playing 5  makes WKU very handicapped.  

WKU  has only 3 players on their bench and they seldom play.