USA Today article

Cr1028

21 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

He still has eligibility left? He came to us from a Juco and was here for 2 years. I figured he would have been an impact player for us. Best of luck.

Yeah, he would have to somehow be getting a 6th year. Redshirted at Purdue in 2015, so his 5 years to play 4 ended this past season.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, untbowler said:

yellow journalism at its worst, just to arouse the UNT Woke culture. Agree with comment have either player had issues since coming to UNT. How about reporter check on the regular student body and run same story. Just a smear piece in general. 

I don't have a problem with the NT Daily article per se--it seems unbiased and fair, giving Wren a chance to respond to the (evidently) false and (clearly) misleading statements made by the USA Today writer.  That's the article I have a huge problem with.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 7

That’s good that they have improved their protocol and vetting. I noticed last year they offered Kymani Dunham in basketball, and the information available on him seemed very concerning. Didn’t seem like we pursued him very long if at all, but I have to think the vetting will help eliminate those type of signings and even offers.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Where these guys convicted of something or they just accused?

I wonder if the writers know or even attempted to find out.

I can't believe any school or coach is going to knowingly recruit a sexual predator.   

I doubt their previous schools ever notified anyone or did anything put try to sweep the problems under the rug.  There are privacy rules and possible heavy consequences for false allegations. 

A real hackett job done on NT by the USA Today.   My guess that the author ignored the power programs because he was afraid of the repercussions. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

The details for Faison's case are available online if you want to go find them. Who knows what actually happened, not passing judgement or anything on anybody.  He could be guilty, she could have made it all up, or anything in between.

I think we need to vet our players more for these types of incidents, but at the same time I don't think we should just blanket ban any transfers of people with these incidents.  We should look at these guys on an individual basis and make sure we're getting all sides of the story to make a decision. 

I don't know anything about recruiting or how in depth coaches get with the guys backgrounds, but I do find it strange that apparently SL did not know about this incident. You'd think one of the first questions would be "Why did you leave Purdue to go to Independence CC?".

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

There was no conviction for Faison.  This article details what happened.

https://www.therolladailynews.com/news/20191230/last-chance-u-recruited-athletes-disciplined-for-sex-offenses

Seems strange to me if you accused someone of raping you that you'd get close enough to them at a party for them to touch your groin. So hard for colleges to determine these. I have a daughter so I'd want her protected. I also have a son so I wouldn't want him falsely accused. Let's take it surface value. If he wasn't responsible for first accusation but indeed was responsible for the 2nd. Should he be blackballed for that? Or should he pay price and be able to receive a second chance? Hard to say.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Seems strange to me if you accused someone of raping you that you'd get close enough to them at a party for them to touch your groin. So hard for colleges to determine these. I have a daughter so I'd want her protected. I also have a son so I wouldn't want him falsely accused. Let's take it surface value. If he wasn't responsible for first accusation but indeed was responsible for the 2nd. Should he be blackballed for that? Or should he pay price and be able to receive a second chance? Hard to say.

I think after the Baylor fiasco it is a pretty easy call. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

35 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

What are you saying?  

Just because of the mess at Baylor, all logic and due process should be ignored. 

I don't see how the Baylor fiasco makes anything easy.  

In the public relations game, perception equals reality.

Otherwise you end up in the news as recruiting rapists. 

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

What are you saying?  

Just because of the mess at Baylor, all logic and due process should be ignored. 

I don't see how the Baylor fiasco makes anything easy.  

My recollection is that this is exactly what Art Briles did to a fault. He decided to trust his players were being honest with him and chose to let the legal process play out but in the media these days, an accusation equals a conviction. It is very sad but very true.

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

In the public relations game, perception equals reality.

Otherwise you end up in the news as recruiting rapists. 

You make a very valid and important point.

It is lucky for us that there is a relevant piece to the puzzle that the article missed about us and I’m very glad they missed it. I’m not going to mention it because I don’t think it makes a hill of beans in how altruistic our program is. We do things the right way. Seth is a stand up guy and this is just more sensationalism to sell papers. You’ll never see this sort of trash written about the University of Texas and you can bet the farm on that.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1