As far as I'm concerned he wasn't convicted. Plenty of people go after celebrities for money so regardless of threats, the case loses credibility for me because she settled for money but wouldn't follow through with the criminal side. In regards to signs of abuse and all, Ezekiel Elliott's ex-girlfriend had all the evidence for physical abuse but didn't consider her best friend turning in text messages where his accuser said she was going to frame him for leaving her. That's why there's a court case. If you read about Kobe's case, the accuser wore underwear with a white males pubic hairs and another male's sperm on it to her rape kit exam for Kobe but then claimed she put on the wrong underwear by accident. That makes no sense but that's what happened and what she claimed. If that's not suspect I don't know what is. The debate was that she had sex with another man after the alleged rape. If that's true, that's not consistent with the behavior of somebody who was just raped. A witness who worked with her said he saw her after the alleged rape and said she didn't seem distraught or bothered in any way. Him apologizing was part of the civil settlement so there certainly was some control from her side in what was to be included in the apology.

Of course, when celebrity trials don't go through everybody just says the accuser was afraid of retaliation and they consider the celebrity guilty without considering that maybe they just didn't have a strong case.

Regardless of your beliefs, Kobe had 1 blemish which was the rape allegations. His family loved him, he had an incredible bond with his daughters, and was very involved in mentoring youths. Everybody you watch play basketball today grew up wanting to be Kobe. He's this generation's MJ. In addition, he was very involved in supporting other sports including being one of the biggest celebrity supporters of women's basketball including attending games of all levels. In my opinion, his legacy will live in more than just in basketball.

Finally, I find it highly inappropriate to talk so poorly about somebody when they're deceased based on allegations that happened almost 20 years ago. He has a daughter who will never even know him. Have some respect. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Finally, I find it highly inappropriate to talk so poorly about somebody when they're deceased based on allegations that happened almost 20 years ago. He has a daughter who will never even know him. Have some respect. 

could've had another, had he chose to finish in a different manner...

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

"based on allegations" - they aren't allegations when he wrote an apology letter to the victim and admitted to it the police. 

But alas. Here we are, when the same people here offended by people peacefully kneeling during the anthem are cool with a violent rape. 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

On 1/26/2020 at 9:43 PM, TheTastyGreek said:

Who said anything about his kid? That IS a tragedy. 

But, the thread I replied to, Adler's, is clearly titled: KOBE BRYANT dead. And when I posted, he was the only named fatality. 

So, am I sad for the children and others who died in the accident? Yes, I am. 

But Kobe? No regrets. Stand by my comment. If the Sports Rapist Hall of Fame were still an active institution, he'd be a 1st ballot unanimous selection. 

Kobe Bryant bent a 19 year old girl over a chair, choked her, had sex with her without her consent while she was crying and struggling to get away from him, and left her bleeding, with bruises around her throat. 

Him being dead isn't a tragedy. Everyone else, sure. Not that guy. If the mountainside didn't ask his consent before the collision? That's not a tragedy, that's irony. 

And I know the disturbingly widespread opinion around here (not accusing either of you two of anything; I have no idea where you've been on the Briles and other examples discussed so frequently around here) is that there's no need to speak ill over someone just because they're rape-facilitating, rape-obscuring, or otherwise rape-adjacent... As long as they're good at sports-ing, forgive and forget and attack anyone who still cares about it. But this guy was the active rapist, and almost everything I mentioned above he admitted to when speaking to police. Anyone on board with Team Kobe is welcome to go fuck themselves. Just get affirmative consent from yourself first. 

No apologies for heading off the thoughts and prayersing in his wake, knowing how these things tend to go. 

My only apology here is to @Censored by Laurie. Sorry for any offense you took at my use of commas. It's not my first language; I just do my best. I hope we can make amends and move forward. 

Damn, you're so edgy and cool. Glad we got people like you moderating this board 🙄

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4