2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Seriously?  He and his teenage daughter were included in the nine people that died today and this is what you come up with?  He wasn't my favorite, but this is a tragedy.

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Very poor reflection on you. Sad.

Who said anything about his kid? That IS a tragedy. 

But, the thread I replied to, Adler's, is clearly titled: KOBE BRYANT dead. And when I posted, he was the only named fatality. 

So, am I sad for the children and others who died in the accident? Yes, I am. 

But Kobe? No regrets. Stand by my comment. If the Sports Rapist Hall of Fame were still an active institution, he'd be a 1st ballot unanimous selection. 

Kobe Bryant bent a 19 year old girl over a chair, choked her, had sex with her without her consent while she was crying and struggling to get away from him, and left her bleeding, with bruises around her throat. 

Him being dead isn't a tragedy. Everyone else, sure. Not that guy. If the mountainside didn't ask his consent before the collision? That's not a tragedy, that's irony. 

And I know the disturbingly widespread opinion around here (not accusing either of you two of anything; I have no idea where you've been on the Briles and other examples discussed so frequently around here) is that there's no need to speak ill over someone just because they're rape-facilitating, rape-obscuring, or otherwise rape-adjacent... As long as they're good at sports-ing, forgive and forget and attack anyone who still cares about it. But this guy was the active rapist, and almost everything I mentioned above he admitted to when speaking to police. Anyone on board with Team Kobe is welcome to go fuck themselves. Just get affirmative consent from yourself first. 

No apologies for heading off the thoughts and prayersing in his wake, knowing how these things tend to go. 

My only apology here is to @Censored by Laurie. Sorry for any offense you took at my use of commas. It's not my first language; I just do my best. I hope we can make amends and move forward. 

5 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

All the internet is writing his obit and purposely ignoring WHY he was also so hated. They pass it off as player-hating. 

When Jerry Sandusky dies, the obituaries aren't going to focus on the fact that he's a Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Famer. They aren't going to headline his two Assistant Coach of the Year awards. 

It'll be heartbreaking to Sandusky's wife and six kids. But nobody is going to call his death, however and whenever it happens, a tragedy. LaVar Arrington and the other pro athletes he coached may feel a certain sense of sorrow at his loss, but it won't be the story that dominates his passing. 

The picture that accompanies his obit won't be him getting doused and carried off the field after the Alamo Bowl shutout win over A&M that ended his career. It'll be his mugshot. 

Because he's a fucking rapist. 

For Sandusky, that's what people will remember. Too bad for him he didn't have a jump shot or speak Italian.

Just now, TheTastyGreek said:

When Jerry Sandusky dies, the obituaries aren't going to focus on the fact that he's a Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Famer. They aren't going to headline his two Assistant Coach of the Year awards. 

It'll be heartbreaking to Sandusky's wife and six kids. But nobody is going to call his death, however and whenever it happens, a tragedy. LaVar Arrington and the other pro athletes he coached may feel a certain sense of sorrow at his loss, but it won't be the story that dominates his passing. 

The picture that accompanies his obit won't be him getting doused and carried off the field after the Alamo Bowl shutout win over A&M that ended his career. It'll be his mugshot. 

Because he's a fucking rapist. 

For Sandusky, that's what people will remember. Too bad for him he didn't have a jump shot or speak Italian.

Seems like, for whatever reason, society gives the "all time greats" a pass.
Look at Michael Jackson, Mike Tyson, and to a lesser degree, Bill Cosby.

But the dichotomy of how society in general views Mike Vick to this day (despite him spending time in prison) VS how Kobe is viewed (apparently, sainted) is odd.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Did I miss something here? Was Kobe Bryant convicted of rape?  I believe I recall that he was accused and placed on trial for rape, but that the case was dropped by the prosecution because the alleged victim refused to testify in court. Legal scholars who followed the case seemed to believe that the case against Bryant was weakening the longer it progressed, and when the accuser declined to testify there was no choice left but tp drop the case.

I am not defending Bryant nor accusing him...just stating the facts of the case which seems to have been forgotten by some in this thread. 

All kinds of theories about the case as I recall..."he did it", "he didn't do it", "she's looking for a payday", "she's been paid off", "she is afraid of the pushback if she testifies", etc., etc. I guess only two people know the complete truth ...but, one fact seems pretty clear...no conviction. 

• Thanks 4
  • Downvote 4

Just now, KRAM1 said:

Did I miss something here? Was Kobe Bryant convicted of rape?  I believe I recall that he was accused and placed on trial for rape, but that the case was dropped by the prosecution because the alleged victim refused to testify in court. Legal scholars who followed the case seemed to believe that the case against Bryant was weakening the longer it progressed, and when the accuser declined to testify there was no choice left but tp drop the case.

I am not defending Bryant nor accusing him...just stating the facts of the case which seems to have been forgotten by some in this thread. 

All kinds of theories about the case as I recall..."he did it", "he didn't do it", "she's looking for a payday", "she's been paid off", "she is afraid of the pushback if she testifies", etc., etc. I guess only two people know the complete truth ...but, one fact seems pretty clear...no conviction. 

Kobe Bryant admitted to police that he "strangled" (his word) the girl from behind without her consent. 

Doctors evaluating her confirmed tears to her vagina and other genital trauma consistent with assault. 

The girl refused to testify after months of identity leaks, death threats, public shaming about her underwear, her prescription medication, allegations of suicide attempts, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. 

So, he got out of a criminal prosecution. And then he paid over $2 million to avoid having to deal with a civil case. 

OJ Simpson was never convicted of murder. He was even acquitted! I look forward to our gauzy celebrations of his 2000 yard rushing achievement when he dies. 

"Legal scholars" - that's rich. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryants-disturbing-rape-case-the-dna-evidence-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession

He apologized because he DID it. 

Why refused to testify is something she will only know (TTG hit it on the head though). The physical evidence still stands. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The evidence was damning. His defense team dragged the girl through the mud for months and she was getting death threats. 

She agreed to drop the criminal charges if he apologized and admitted it was not consensual, which he did, sort of, with an apology he had his LAWYER read in court. 

Evidence from the rape exam showed tearing consistent with non-consensual intercourse and she had significant bruising on her neck from when he choked her. Bryant also had her blood on him. 

He lied about having sex with her until told they had physical evidence. He lied about having his hands on her neck until they said she had bruising. He tried to ask of there was a way to "take care of it" and invoked the name of famous friends to try and get it swept under the rug. 

If this happened in 2017 instead of 2003, it would be a different story, and people wouldn't be gushing over him so much right now. 

Yes, it's a tragedy that these lives were lost in a horrific accident. But Kobe Bryant was a POS rapist, and I haven't forgotten it. I'll even admit that at the time of the initial claims, I was one of his defenders (at least until all the evidence became public knowledge). But that was my mistake.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

"Legal scholars" - that's rich. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryants-disturbing-rape-case-the-dna-evidence-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession

He apologized because he DID it. 

Why refused to testify is something she will only know (TTG hit it on the head though). The physical evidence still stands. 

This isn't hard. 

Kobe Bryant initially denied even having sex with the girl. 

Eventually, he admitted bending her over a chair and "strangling" her. She says she fought and tried to say "no" but couldn't because she was BEING STRANGLED. When police asked him whether he was strangling her so hard she wouldn't be able to speak, he said: "My hands are strong. I don't know." His rationale for saying he'd have known she didn't want to have sex with him was that, once he eased up on choking her, he heard her say "no" when he asked if he could "cum on her face". 

Her blood was on his clothes. He admitted he choked her hard enough to leave bruises on her neck and jaw. 

After he was free of the criminal case, he even said "I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.”

So... He admits he strangled her, he had her blood on him, and after the fact, he even said he knows she didn't consent to having sex with him. 

But, yeah, no conviction. He got off, then he got off, and technically he was never found guilty in court. 

Maybe Elton John can write "Candle in the Wind 2020 (Strangulation and Vaginal Trauma Remix)" in his honor. 

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Sort of like the Duke Lacrosse team - No one but the two that were there really know, but better to decide on their own who is and is not guilty. Seems like we have quite a few here who have appointed themselves Judge and Jury in many cases. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Kobe Bryant admitted to police that he "strangled" (his word) the girl from behind without her consent. 

Doctors evaluating her confirmed tears to her vagina and other genital trauma consistent with assault. 

The girl refused to testify after months of identity leaks, death threats, public shaming about her underwear, her prescription medication, allegations of suicide attempts, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. 

So, he got out of a criminal prosecution. And then he paid over $2 million to avoid having to deal with a civil case. 

OJ Simpson was never convicted of murder. He was even acquitted! I look forward to our gauzy celebrations of his 2000 yard rushing achievement when he dies. 

And, I will look forward to your holier than thou constant smugness. 

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

28 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Sort of like the Duke Lacrosse team - No one but the two that were there really know, but better to decide on their own who is and is not guilty. Seems like we have quite a few here who have appointed themselves Judge and Jury in many cases. 

No, not at all.

There was a lot of hush, hush around Kobe's case.
There was a flat-out lie admitted in the Duke LAX case.

• Upvote 7