UTEP (1/25/20)

CMJ

On 1/25/2020 at 9:46 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Great win.

Some of you may have another team in mind, but since I’ve been following in ‘87 I can’t recall a better free throw shooting team than this one?

Rick

I don't know the stats, but one of the years we had Josh White and Tristan Thompson, I think we were just as clutch.  I recall one game in the Belt tournament where we went something like 19 of 20.  

Edited by CMJ

18 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I don't know the stats, but one of the years we had Josh White and Tristan Thompson, I think we were just as clutch.  I recall one game i the Belt tournament where we went something like 19 of 20.  

In 2010-11, we shot 75%.  This year, we are currently shooting 73.2%.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I was in that crowd.  As long as I live I will not forget the atmosphere generated at the old Pit. It was greatness and the noise level would get so high that the metal walls of that arena would actually vibrate.  Oh, to bring that atmosphere back. 

And I remember:  Refs had to call  “Technicals” against NTSU because the home crowd noise was so painfully overwhelming. In fact I believe audio testing was done at a game and the crowd decibel level was considered hazardous to the human ear drum.  It was  F-ing greatness !  Opposing coaches and players would actually shoot us the finger.  North Texas students were rabid.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

In 2010-11, we shot 75%.  This year, we are currently shooting 73.2%.

Maybe it’s just the past games in the streak making me think this then.  Tristan and Josh were our clutch guys, Josh either led or was close to leading the nation one of those years..  

But this year it seems like no matter who goes to the line they hit their FT’s. 

Last night we shot over 91% as a team.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Maybe it’s just the past games in the streak making me think this then.  Tristan and Josh were our clutch guys, Josh either led or was close to leading the nation one of those years..  

But this year it seems like no matter who goes to the line they hit their FT’s. 

Last night we shot over 91% as a team.

Rick

And this is why I think this team is special.  Good teams have talent and can score the basketball...great teams play defense and hit free throws.  I never got nervous when UTEP trimmed the lead.  

• Upvote 2

UTEP had no answer for Zach and scored at will.  They were pounding on him but he took it to the UTEP players.    One player that is becoming one of all time favorites is Reese.  Plays hard on defense and when we need a three he provides it.  He always looks so cool but intense on the floor.

• Ray 1

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

All the more reason they should be going to games. 

I would agree but I don’t like the insinuation that the students get “free” tickets. They pay a lot each semester for athletics. As the author of the student government bill that authorized the athletic fee over the objection of the student vote, I feel obliged to stand up for them on this issue. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, 97and03 said:

I would agree but I don’t like the insinuation that the students get “free” tickets. They pay a lot each semester for athletics. As the author of the student government bill that authorized the athletic fee over the objection of the student vote, I feel obliged to stand up for them on this issue. 

I stand corrected. I paid My feed as a student and went.  In my mind at that time, it was free and I didn’t have much money for other entertainment. Plus, it was my school, so I went to support them. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

And this is why I think this team is special.  Good teams have talent and can score the basketball...great teams play defense and hit free throws.  I never got nervous when UTEP trimmed the lead.  

Come tournament time in Frisco, our FT shooting should be the difference in advancing. Compare this year’s guards to when Woolridge was running the point. For all his amazing talent Ryan is an unreliable FT shooter at best. Hard to ice away games when you actively don’t want your primary ball handler drawing the late game intentional fouls.