Green Flags for the Flag Corp Campaign

FirefightnRick

That is why I am asking for your opinions. I think he will take the music selections more seriously if I tell him rather than several people telling him. Since he was my band director in 9th and 10th grade as well as here, he knows me pretty well. I am wanting to march something other than latin jazz. Latin jazz is fine and well, but I marched Latin Jazz both my freshman AND sophomore years of high school under his direction. For me it is getting old. And yes, I honestly do take an interest in your opinions.

So let those selections come!!

To be honest, they could do away with

the whole flag corps and I would

never miss it and probably never notice it.

I did like it when they had a guy in the

flag corps a few years back. But if we are

going to have a flag corps, good grief,

they should be toting around GREEN flags.

(or white).

And the band should be wearing

a different outfit--the capes, feathers, etc.

need to go by the wayside.

What do you mean the band needs to get rid of capes and feathers? We don't have capes and the plume on our hat actually makes the hat look better. The hat looks stupid if we don't have the plume. All I can do as far as the flag color is concerned is to talk with the directors of the band and color guard. I will talk with them. I will keep you updated.

If someone wants to buy us more green flags, I can't see any reason why we wouldn't use them. I said that in my orignal post. I can also ask about not using the purple flag at TCU, since its their school color. I'm not in charge though so all I can do is ask. I guess we could use the one green flag during both songs. For those people genuinely concerned about tradition, thankyou for putting your opinion out there. And thankyou to all the people who had nice comments about our performance. And for anyone else feeling generous... we could still use some help on the uniform situation. This will be my last post... you guys can duke it out from here with your opinionated opinions.

(please read with as much mental sarcasm as possible)

You mean big time Alabama's band used flags that were not consistent with their school colors... even worse, they used the colors of the opposing team that they were playing and opposing teams next oppenents (that's UNT and TCU). How can a school with soooo much tradition and pride (hell, didn't forest gump even play there) have the audacity to allow there flag corps to use non red and white flags... let alone ones that didn't feature the Red Tide's mascot. It just turns my stomach that schools like that can function in this great football nation with such apathy from their band. For shame 'Bama Band... for shame!!! <_< laugh.gif

You mean big time Alabama's band used flags that were not consistent with their school colors... even worse, they used the colors of the opposing team that they were playing and opposing teams next oppenents (that's UNT and TCU).  How can a school with soooo much tradition and pride (hell, didn't forest gump even play there) have the audacity to allow there flag corps to use non red and white flags... let alone ones that didn't feature the Red Tide's mascot.

I don't think its right when they do it either.

I want all things around Fouts Field (and Denton) to be solely North Texas. Is that too much to ask? Denton never does seem to know how to do anything right (as far as team support is concerned), and if anohter band uses colors that are not their schools, then they are just as bad.

I do hope that new uni's and flags are bought for the guard. I am still a poor college student but someday maybe all this pharmacy stuff will pay off.

"You mean big time Alabama's band used flags that were not consistent with their school colors... even worse, they used the colors of the opposing team that they were playing and opposing teams next oppenents (that's UNT and TCU). How can a school with soooo much tradition and pride (hell, didn't forest gump even play there) have the audacity to allow there flag corps to use non red and white flags... let alone ones that didn't feature the Red Tide's mascot. It just turns my stomach that schools like that can function in this great football nation with such apathy from their band. For shame 'Bama Band... for shame!!!"

I find it interesting and somewhat disappointing (not that it matters to you that much) that you finally acknowledge what the basic issue is about the flags,...but only in the vein of heavy adolescent sarcasm.

Most posters in this thread (mainly in the band) seem to have gone out of their way to avoid the main issue, and try to manipulate it into "perceived" or "alleged" personal attacks on them. Which is why this thread has gone on waaaaaaaayyyy too long. Let me try and re-state my stance on this....hopefully for the last time.

All of these statements begin with "In my humble opinion".

1. like it or not, the band is a "spirit organization 1st and a musical organization 2nd" (I believe it's motto used to be "The show window of university SPIRIT and PRIDE)

2. You show the aforementioned spirit and pride for your University by PROUDLY displaying the traditional colors, and playing the traditional songs of the school. To do otherwise shows disrespect to the university and all of it's alumni.

3. "Artistic license" or "Artistic interpretation" is NOT a valid reason to suspend any of the aforementioned traditions of this or any other school.

4. the Green Brigade is musically superior to any other college band in Texas.....and probably in the United States. That will not matter however, if this football program goes away, or is greatly reduced in importance, and the band therefore loses it's main "venue". Texas Tech may be "junior high" compared to the Green Brigade, but they WERE on regional TV.

5. the Green Brigade may have won all of their half-time shows, but other than the parents of the band members, and a few thousand of us appreciative fans (myself included), not too many people really care.

6. There is NOTHING mutually exclusive about being musically superior (and creative) and honoring your school and it's traditions.

USING FLAGS THAT ARE THE TRADITIONAL SCHOOL COLORS WILL NOT SUDDENLY RENDER YOU MUSICALLY (OR ARTISTICALLY) BRAIN-DEAD.

I promise. wink.gif

Will this discussion ever die???  

You mean big time Alabama's band used flags that were not consistent with their school colors... even worse, they used the colors of the opposing team that they were playing and opposing teams next oppenents (that's UNT and TCU). How can a school with soooo much tradition and pride (hell, didn't forest gump even play there) have the audacity to allow there flag corps to use non red and white flags... let alone ones that didn't feature the Red Tide's mascot. It just turns my stomach that schools like that can function in this great football nation with such apathy from their band. For shame 'Bama Band... for shame!!!  

Guess what bandgeek, the discussion will NEVER end (like i said earlier) because YOU ask when it will end and act all annoyed and then POST IN IT AGAIN!!!!!!! ummm ok... rolleyes.gif