Boise State To The AAC?

DeepGreen

I don't like CUSA either...but look at it through the eyes of better conferences. Why would they want UNT? We have our bar at 9-3. That doesn't get it done. For us to get attention, we have to win 10-11 games a year consistently to get attention. We have a looooong way to go.

Here we are rebuilding in Littrell's 5th season and possibly rebuilding again in his 6th? We will more than likely be ranked #100+ out of 132 teams preseason. Picked toward the bottom of the worst conference...in his 5th year. If he goes 5-7 this year (I think that's going to be tough) Our record in the Littrell era will be: 32-32 over 5 years. No bowl wins. No attention grabbing upsets. Absolutely destroyed in meaningful games. That's so mediocre it's not even funny. No TV market can overcome that.

We have to have SUSTAINED success...not flash in the pans that get us on ESPN one week only to fall on our face over and over and over again. 

11 win seasons...that's season(S), not flukes, that's the bar if you want serious national attention. The G5 darling, UCF...got no attention last year. The difference is they only went 10-3....vs the year before when they went 12-1 and before that 13-0.

12 win UCF: attention, 10 win UCF: meh. There's no room for error and certainly no room for mediocrity.

If you want to see where we are in the pecking order, look at this program from an outsider's view...not through the lens of our horrible history. Celebrating 9 win seasons like we've arrived doesn't get any attention elsewhere.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don't like CUSA either...but look at it through the eyes of better conferences. Why would they want UNT? We have our bar at 9-3. That doesn't get it done. For us to get attention, we have to win 10-11 games a year consistently to get attention. We have a looooong way to go.

Here we are rebuilding in Littrell's 5th season and possibly rebuilding again in his 6th? We will more than likely be ranked #100+ out of 132 teams preseason. Picked toward the bottom of the worst conference...in his 5th year. If he goes 5-7 this year (I think that's going to be tough) Our record in the Littrell era will be: 32-32 over 5 years. No bowl wins. No attention grabbing upsets. Absolutely destroyed in meaningful games. That's so mediocre it's not even funny. No TV market can overcome that.

We have to have SUSTAINED success...not flash in the pans that get us on ESPN one week only to fall on our face over and over and over again. 

11 win seasons...that's season(S), not flukes, that's the bar if you want serious national attention. The G5 darling, UCF...got no attention last year. The difference is they only went 10-3....vs the year before when they went 12-1 and before that 13-0.

12 win UCF: attention, 10 win UCF: meh. There's no room for error and certainly no room for mediocrity.

If you want to see where we are in the pecking order, look at this program from an outsider's view...not through the lens of our horrible history. Celebrating 9 win seasons like we've arrived doesn't get any attention elsewhere.

Spot on...

We won’t go anywhere without winning. And if you can’t win in CUSA, you can’t win anywhere. But if we ever could get that part accomplished at a sustained level, I could see us getting some interest from the MWC. But for now, the MWC has been very smart to wait out the Big XII’s GOR expiration in 2024. They know they can get some solid programs into their league from Texas that are way ahead of us in the SBCUSA.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

One thing the MWC (or AAC) membership gets you is access to a rung up on the recruiting trail.  I think the CUSA jump, even with half of the SBC brought in, had a chance to do that for us.  But then Texas added 2 more FBS schools those same years, with UTSA immediately jumping into our conference.  I think their inclusion absolutely watered down our jump up and thinned out the recruiting pool even more than it already is.  If MWC is really an option, I'd want to know who else is coming with us.  If it is just UNT, then we have a chance to separate ourselves a bit from other state schools stuck in the SBC or CUSA.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

I think what makes us attractive is the growth of the program, solid academic institution and location.  These schools would love to be able to tap this market for recruiting.  Getting to play here every other year opens it up even more for them.

• Upvote 2

Winning is vital for sure. Our basketball team is making us proud this year. Our soccer team has been making us proud for a long time.

But investments also gets noticed. How serious do you take your athletic programs makes a difference. I think on those fronts we are attractive.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NM Green said:

Winning is vital for sure. Our basketball team is making us proud this year. Our soccer team has been making us proud for a long time.

But investments also gets noticed. How serious do you take your athletic programs makes a difference. I think on those fronts we are attractive.

GMG

Facilities as well