Boise State To The AAC?

DeepGreen

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

If I'm not mistaken U of H has a very good Dental School.  Had several friends that are/were dentist that went through your dental program.

Thought I'd throw you a bone.

Early innovators of the dental dam I would guess. 

On 1/23/2020 at 11:12 PM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Ask Louisiana Tech fans how they enjoyed being in Big West and WAC...  All that did was frustrate fans and end them up in Conference USA (the same one we're in).

The WAC and Big West is not even close to the MWC outside of geography. 

On 1/25/2020 at 4:07 PM, wardly said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but what do you consider a "decent crowd"? Just asking.

2001 @ NMSUcks. 

• Lovely Take 1

On 1/28/2020 at 4:43 PM, DeepGreen said:

And now Commissioner Judy doesn’t know what a TV market or a TV contract is.  We have schit for real TV.  I feel like a small-time player watching UNT football and basketball games on a computer.  I prefer the really big screen TV.  I admit, I’m technologically challenged.  But I can’t be the only one out there.

You're not. It's getting easier with the growth of cord cutting to stream games. The problem is getting your games on the tv in restaurants and bars to help expand your brand. That and getting decent camera work and announcers. 

• Upvote 1

Here’s where I’m coming from- during football or basketball season, I read the Austin sports section, seeing which football or basketball games will be televised on any given Saturday. Generally, there are no less than 6-7 AAC football games being televised; and same amount in basketball.  You can also see MWC games listed though not as many as the AAC.

So what, you say? Well other fans look at those names and they have to think of those conferences as being similar in stature  to the p5 boys. Or on the same level.  CUSA and SBC, not so much.  AAC team names are just so much more visible.

And all of theses games are on real TV- ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, CBSSN, and occasionally ABC, NBC, CBS.

The AAC and MWC are beating us like a drum on real TV.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

We need to get out of CUSA. All those lowly nearby road opponents apparently someone treasures are just dilution. We need to elevate above that competition. Stop berating Houston. You all know we want to be on the same level. And Houston, you should be ashamed feeling like you need to come in here to look down. Thanks for the recognition.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

SMU fans on their board are being encouraged to watch Twitter tomorrow regarding realignment and possibly Boise. If anyone has insider scoop please do speculate.

What is great is that we have an administration that I’m sure is completely dialed in if something interesting develops tomorrow.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

IMO:  UNT should jump at a invite from MWC should the offer ever be made.

Neal Smartest was President of UNLV for 5 years and Provost for 2 years....he probably has kept in touch with friends to the West. Perhaps he's our edge.

Two MWC teams made the final Top 25 this year: AFA@22 and BSU @23. Still looking for that CUSA team.

Although traveling to away games might be impacted I think our home attendance would improve for conference games. Perhaps a local TV station would pick up away games as they have done in the past. I would bet MWC has a better TV package than CUSA ....no sh_t....

I still feel MWC would like a foot print in DFW.  Another large TV market for them.

Just my opinion....

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I still feel MWC would like a foot print in DFW.  Another large TV market for them.

That was the line of thinking CUSA had when they added FIU, FAU, Charlotte, and I guess ODU.  ODU does play some good basketball but they were an FBS startup when we brought them on board. 

Playing devil's advocate.  I would like to move to the MWC.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I agree on a move to the MWC. I also would go even if several of the Premier programs were swallowed up by the AAC.  The AAC could take Boise UNLV and San Diego State or just Boise. You are still going to be left with programs like New Mexico Colorado state Wyoming Fresno perhaps Air Force Utah State. All of these programs have stronger name recognition and accomplishments then some of our current peers.

I just really would not mind breaking off from some of the eastern sea USA teams. You might see a completely new reconfiguration of the mountain west and conference USA. And most importantly we need to get out from under Judy.

GMG

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

Just my opinion....

56 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

That was the line of thinking CUSA had when they added FIU, FAU, Charlotte, and I guess ODU.  ODU does play some good basketball but they were an FBS startup when we brought them on board. 

Yes, I would be interested in further discussion.  As has been observed by CUSA 2.0, there is more to this than TV Market.  Or, rather more simply, TV Market is not as important as we think it is.

I know everyone else in the conference is open and even possibly excited about the possibility of Boise State joining the AAC, but I can't stand it.  I think it reeks of short-term gains and long-term instability. 

BSU joining doesn't make the AAC a P6 conference.  Rather, it's going to water-down any common goals and identities that exist within the conference, be it geography, school missions, and - most especially - whether it's going to be a football or basketball conference, because there absolutely will be a basketball only school, like VCU, that joins to balance the conference or whatever, along with their own independent agenda.  Sooner or later realignment is going to hit, and when it does the AAC, instead playing the long game and building the conference, is going to start to revert to whomever is hot at the moment and filling the spots with footall and basketball-only schools, creating a Big East 2.0.  When that happens the hybrid structure is going to doom the conference in the long term.

Furthermore, if the conference becomes more successful too soon in it's going to force a P5 conference (likely the Big XII) to cherry pick the AAC for more talent to continue to keep pace with other conferences.  Might be a little dramatic, but it's certainly possible.

So as far as I'm concerned, BSU can stay in the MWC - no need to fix what isn't broken.  If they have to bring someone in bring in an all-sports member that we can invest in for the long term and work to build cohesion and common goals with.  Otherwise, we are planting the seeds of our own demise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Leopold, I think it Has to be three members for it to make sense for the AAC. And I would think the best three would be San Diego UNLV and Boise.

The bottom line is that developing rivalries in such a far flung league is really difficult. It almost makes too much sense to grab a strong core that exist in the center of the country and harvest those rivalries in an all sports conference.

It’s not popular on your board but North Texas Houston and SMU could form a nice ring to expand out from. I just think SMU and North Texas could establish quite the relationship Quickly by playing in all sports consistently. Houston and North Texas already feel like mirror schools in many respects. Historically Houston has some fantastic accomplishments but geographically both programs are similar in a lot of ways. 

I think there is a craving and SMU and Houston for more regional rivalries and for us at North Texas we would love more quality regional rivalries.

it will be interesting to see what develops.

GMG

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, NM Green said:

Leopold, I think it Has to be three members for it to make sense for the AAC. And I would think the best three would be San Diego UNLV and Boise.

The bottom line is that developing rivalries in such a far flung league is really difficult. It almost makes too much sense to grab a strong core that exist in the center of the country and harvest those rivalries in an all sports conference.

It’s not popular on your board but North Texas Houston and SMU could form a nice ring to expand out from. I just think SMU and North Texas could establish quite the relationship Quickly by playing in all sports consistently. Houston and North Texas already feel like mirror schools in many respects. Historically Houston has some fantastic accomplishments but geographically both programs are similar in a lot of ways. 

I think there is a craving and SMU and Houston for more regional rivalries and for us at North Texas we would love more quality regional rivalries.

it will be interesting to see what develops.

GMG

The sad reality is that SMU and UH would support UTSA or UTEP well before they would back us for AAC

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The sad reality is that SMU and UH would support UTSA or UTEP well before they would back us for AAC

The hard reality is that they'd let Richland CC in if it meant attaining P6 status.   I understand that geographical proximity can work against a school when it attempts to move up, but that's the fight we all have while fighting for inclusion. 

57 minutes ago, SMUleopold said:

The hard reality is that they'd let Richland CC in if it meant attaining P6 status.   I understand that geographical proximity can work against a school when it attempts to move up, but that's the fight we all have while fighting for inclusion. 

I agree, but TV markets are all that matter to conferences these days. You have to sell markets to networks to get decent money.

Its why your Southern MissEs and Marshall’s are screwed. Great program history, but no tv market to sell. They are stuck forever in the SBCUSA setup. Abc it’s why UNT and Rice are blocked from AAC consideration. Same with Texas State and NMSU being Blocked to get into CUSA. Just like in CUSA, it took SMU moving upward to the AAC to get us into CUSA now.

if/when the G5’s recognize geography is the way to lower travel costs and increase attendance, the tv market fascination will not be top priority, then you might see some of these conferences look like the old SWC or Big Eight.

Do conferences want TV markets?  Probably

Do TV markets guarantee success? Current CUSA says, "hard nope."

Not sure what the solution is.  Especially with the viewing markets evolving so rapidly and the high dollar programs getting first dibs on everything.  I do figure this: we (UNT) needs to start taking care of ourselves.  Winning in and out of conference consistently, building our brand , and - God forbid - appearing in T25 polls.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

As much as I would like to make "the jump" to the MWC... I still think we havent proven ourselves in CUSA.

Besides the so called TV market, why would the MW even look our way?  Yes, some of our other sports have won championships, but football wise... nada. 

I hope we can win a championship and prove we belong before the window closes on moving conferences.

GMG

• Eye Roll 1

On 2/2/2020 at 12:36 PM, SMUleopold said:

Furthermore, if the conference becomes more successful too soon in it's going to force a P5 conference (likely the Big XII) to cherry pick the AAC for more talent to continue to keep pace with other conferences.  Might be a little dramatic, but it's certainly possible.

If the big 12 dissolves they will be the ones getting cherry picked. It's hard to call yourself a P5 conference if both OU and Horn leave the conference. 

1 minute ago, AACP6 said:

If the big 12 dissolves they will be the ones getting cherry picked. It's hard to call yourself a P5 conference if both OU and Horn leave the conference. 

My guess is the Texoma Four go to the PAC and KU goes to the B1G. Where anyone else goes from there is up for debate, but KSU and WVU are higher properties than ISU, TCU, and Baylor. 

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

My guess is the Texoma Four go to the PAC and KU goes to the B1G. Where anyone else goes from there is up for debate, but KSU and WVU are higher properties than ISU, TCU, and Baylor. 

I don't care for the others but I hope Baylor gets booted to the Sun Belt. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If this happens, I could see 1 of 3 dominoes falling to North Texas (in order of likelihood):
1.  The Big12 leftovers decide to start up a new conference, and grab Houston,SMU, Memphis, Cincy and maybe some other AAC top-performers... opening up spots in the AAC for NT to slide in there.
2.  The Big12 leftovers split up & join with either MWC or AAC, leaving NT holding the bag, stuck in C-USA for the foreseeable future.
3.  The Big12 leftovers decide to start up a new conference, and due to North Texas' strong showing under Littrell this year and next year, they choose to add us as well!  JACKPOT!

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If this happens, I could see 1 of 3 dominoes falling to North Texas (in order of likelihood):
1.  The Big12 leftovers decide to start up a new conference, and grab Houston,SMU, Memphis, Cincy and maybe some other AAC top-performers... opening up spots in the AAC for NT to slide in there.
2.  The Big12 leftovers split up & join with either MWC or AAC, leaving NT holding the bag, stuck in C-USA for the foreseeable future.
3.  The Big12 leftovers decide to start up a new conference, and due to North Texas' strong showing under Littrell this year and next year, they choose to add us as well!  JACKPOT!

The toughest part about number one would be having to start up new TV deals and starting from ground zero with the NCAA for tournament purposes—IIRC, it takes two years to get automatic bids into their tournaments when a conference begins.

Number 3 is interesting only because TCU will be in it. Would that also block SMU, too? Because in a TV market driven conference, I doubt that either SMU or UNT would be able to get in.