Boise State To The AAC?

DeepGreen

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Logic = Old Denton

I doubt there are many fans that don't want to advance NT's athletics.  

Comfort and financial concerns, what does this mean? 

Not analysing the financial impact of any change would be incredibly stupid even in a debate.   

Comfort with the status quo, every knowable fan wants NT to explore every opportunity.  

Pie in the Sky with no analysis = New Denton

Apparently not every opportunity?

The "logic" is a bet on ourselves.    Is North Texas really 'for real'?   Do we have what it takes to succeed at a higher level than C-USA?   If so, then the next opportunity that presents itself (we're likely not going to get a Big12 or SEC invite anytime soon) needs to be jumped on to continue moving up.

In the current landscape, that would leave the AAC & MWC.   And I think everyone mentions the MWC more just because there would ideally be interest in getting back into Texas from MWC schools.  That may or may not be true, but if they decided to, and North Texas was a desired target, then we'd be stupid not to take their invite.   

If travel costs for our Olympic teams is a problem, or, if coughing up the transition fees is a problem, then we're obviously not 'for real', and may not ever be able to advance.   If our fans are pissed because they might have to stay up a little late for maybe 2 games per year, or get mad because they can't drive to San Antonio or Houston for an away game, then they're stuck in the comfort of what we already have, and we may not ever be able to advance.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

Third, the AAC has always been driven by TV markets more than the quality of the teams. While I think that's a flawed system, it's the one the AAC hasn't dropped yet. Losing UConn loses the 33 market in the 2020 rankings. Adding Boise adds the 101 market. It's unlikely the AAC really wants Boise, at least wants them enough to split their pie more. Boise just doesn't grow the pie enough to equal the slice they'd take. 

We laugh at the AAC's claims to "P6," because they're not there.  But it's clear that they aspire to be.  While Boise State doesn't bring a huge TV market, they would unquestionably increase the legitimacy of the AAC as a football conference.

They recently added Wichita State--why?  Not for their TV market, but because they added legitimacy to the AAC as a basketball conference.  Boise State would bring every bit as much in football.

The "TV markets" focus has clearly driven C-USA's additions, and we see what a sports juggernaut that has made us...and how exactly has it helped our recent TV contract?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I just sit back and wonder what is in it for the Broncos. They don’t need the aac to get to the ny6 bowl. Does playing ucf and Memphis Jazz you up? Doesn’t me.

Now going the other way I get interested in seeing Boise play. They have a mystique about them that the Knights and tigers don’t quite have. And to mean rob’s point then you get those dog matchups of Tulane and Tulsa and East Carolina coming to Boise over the likes of Fresno, Nevada, Wyoming, UNLV and Colorado state. Sorry I don’t see any juice for the Blue fanbase.

Lastly, I hear this drumbeat about cusa canjot get there. CUSA just has not had a team be good enough to get there.  We’re talking from beginning to end of the season. Nothing is holding us back as a league other than no program had had the stars align for them yet. If Appy State was inches from playing penn state, a cusa team can make a run. Look at our bowl performances the last 2 years, better than the aac and others. 

Get that woe is me attitude out of here. It’s not a perfect conference by any means and I would explore options if given the opportunity. But until then lace them up and go after the New Year’s Day bud. That should be the goal at the front of the season, along with hosting and winning a conference championship game in Denton!

GMG

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Apparently not every opportunity?

The "logic" is a bet on ourselves.    Is North Texas really 'for real'?   Do we have what it takes to succeed at a higher level than C-USA?   If so, then the next opportunity that presents itself (we're likely not going to get a Big12 or SEC invite anytime soon) needs to be jumped on to continue moving up.

In the current landscape, that would leave the AAC & MWC.   And I think everyone mentions the MWC more just because there would ideally be interest in getting back into Texas from MWC schools.  That may or may not be true, but if they decided to, and North Texas was a desired target, then we'd be stupid not to take their invite.   

If travel costs for our Olympic teams is a problem, or, if coughing up the transition fees is a problem, then we're obviously not 'for real', and may not ever be able to advance.   If our fans are pissed because they might have to stay up a little late for maybe 2 games per year, or get mad because they can't drive to San Antonio or Houston for an away game, then they're stuck in the comfort of what we already have, and we may not ever be able to advance.

I’m afraid we can see what the fanbase thinks... they overwhelmingly don’t want the MWC, so I doubt that invite will ever come...

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

We laugh at the AAC's claims to "P6," because they're not there.  But it's clear that they aspire to be.  While Boise State doesn't bring a huge TV market, they would unquestionably increase the legitimacy of the AAC as a football conference.

They recently added Wichita State--why?  Not for their TV market, but because they added legitimacy to the AAC as a basketball conference.  Boise State would bring every bit as much in football.

The "TV markets" focus has clearly driven C-USA's additions, and we see what a sports juggernaut that has made us...and how exactly has it helped our recent TV contract?

Great points.  The last one makes me sad.

11 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I just sit back and wonder what is in it for the Broncos. They don’t need the aac to get to the ny6 bowl. Does playing ucf and Memphis Jazz you up? Doesn’t me.

Now going the other way I get interested in seeing Boise play. They have a mystique about them that the Knights and tigers don’t quite have. And to mean rob’s point then you get those dog matchups of Tulane and Tulsa and East Carolina coming to Boise over the likes of Fresno, Nevada, Wyoming, UNLV and Colorado state. Sorry I don’t see any juice for the Blue fanbase.

Lastly, I hear this drumbeat about cusa canjot get there. CUSA just has not had a team be good enough to get there.  We’re talking from beginning to end of the season. Nothing is holding us back as a league other than no program had had the stars align for them yet. If Appy State was inches from playing penn state, a cusa team can make a run. Look at our bowl performances the last 2 years, better than the aac and others. 

Get that woe is me attitude out of here. It’s not a perfect conference by any means and I would explore options if given the opportunity. But until then lace them up and go after the New Year’s Day bud. That should be the goal at the front of the season, along with hosting and winning a conference championship game in Denton!

GMG

Do you not recall the 2015 WKU squad?   They ran absolutely roughshod over all of CUSA that year.  No other team has come close to dismantling the conference like they did that year since we've been a part of it.  Their closest Conference game was a 17pt blowout of Southern Miss in the Conference Championship game.

How were they rewarded for such a dominating run through our conference?  NY6 Bowl?   A matchup with a respected P5 school?...   Nope.  ...With a trip to the now-defunct "Miami Beach Bowl" VS the AAC's 4th place team: South Florida.   Of course, WKU dispatched South Florida with ease because they were so good... but the issue was with perception of C-USA.  The conference is just not very good & certainly not respected.

If you'd forgotten about that squad, that further proves the point many here are trying to make.  If WKU would have made that kind of run through the MWC or the AAC, no-doubt they would have played in the NY6 game.  This iteration of C-USA CANNOT be UNT's final resting place.   Onward & upward... we just have to make it happen, by any non-cheating means necessary... if that could mean going West for a few years, so be it.

Of course, it's all moot since there's no invite.  But we'll see what happens when the next shakeup occurs.

As for Boise, they've established their brand/perception as winners with the general football-watching public, and I'm not sure a move to the AAC would help them as much as it would help the AAC.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wardly said:

I am probably wrong, but I would think that you need to dominate your existing conference in order expect an upgrade to another.

This is also very true.   That's why it's so important for Basketball to do well this season while football is in a down year.
It's even more important that Seth gets it together next season and gets back to competing for the conference championship.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wardly said:

I am probably wrong, but I would think that you need to dominate your existing conference in order expect an upgrade to another.

It would certainly help out a lot...and I'll be the first to admit that we haven't done that since the early days of the SBC. And I'll also readily admit that if I were the MWC, I'd want to get back into Texas with the best programs possible--which is why I would wait out the GOR expiring of the Big XII and see what's available. My guess is that Baylor and TCU both will be available. If things went really crazy, so could Texas Tech. 

But if we find ourselves left behind in this craptastic league when we could have possibly been able to have opened a viable position within the MWC, that would be catastrophic, in my opinion, because there is absolutely no doubt that the MWC is well above CUSA. And until the AAC decides to 1.) stop focusing on TV markets and 2.) tell SMU to share a market with us, both of which seem incredibly small in chance, I suspect that the only stepping stone upward is the MWC. And if you ain't moving upward, your falling backwards when it comes to FBS.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I’m afraid we can see what the fanbase thinks... they overwhelmingly don’t want the MWC, so I doubt that invite will ever come...

I doubt fanbase opinion has much say in conference affiliation.  How many of y'all think having F_Us makes more sense than the Louisiana schools?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I doubt fanbase opinion has much say in conference affiliation.  How many of y'all think having F_Us makes more sense than the Louisiana schools?

To the CUSA commissioner, TV market is all that mattered...absolutely nothing else. And no SBC team was ever gonna turn down an invite to the SBC.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Here, with the sway they have on the AD because of our small number of donors and season ticket holders, the fanbase actually does help make that decision more than it does at many other schools...

Fact or opinion?

48 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

To the CUSA commissioner, TV market is all that mattered...absolutely nothing else. And no SBC team was ever gonna turn down an invite to the SBC.

And now Commissioner Judy doesn’t know what a TV market or a TV contract is.  We have schit for real TV.  I feel like a small-time player watching UNT football and basketball games on a computer.  I prefer the really big screen TV.  I admit, I’m technologically challenged.  But I can’t be the only one out there.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I prefer the really big screen TV.  I admit, I’m technologically challenged.  But I can’t be the only one out there.

You aren't, but learning how to make it work has rewards.  I had to google the instructions, but I was able to add the ESPN+ app to my LG Smart TV. I plan on watching the Super Bowl streaming in 4K on my TV via the Fox app. 

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

And now Commissioner Judy doesn’t know what a TV market or a TV contract is.  We have schit for real TV.  I feel like a small-time player watching UNT football and basketball games on a computer.  I prefer the really big screen TV.  I admit, I’m technologically challenged.  But I can’t be the only one out there.

We have a lot of fans who don’t care because they go to a lot of games and feel like it’s the best we can do because it is the best we have ever done, conference-wise...

But no mistake that CUSA, in its current form, is bad—from leadership of the league, to its media contracts (lack of),  to its bowl setups and its lack of prestige. As I’ve said before, only at North Texas could we leave a bad conference and watch said conference pass up the one we join.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 1/28/2020 at 10:34 AM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

You think the conference wasnt legit until Witchita State was added? Boise would bring the same legitimacy? You have to be blind or plain ole delusional. The AAC has plenty good  basketball and football programs to where they dont need either of those schools. They're bonuses. You're confused. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

On 1/28/2020 at 11:26 AM, untjim1995 said:

Surely your not using gomeangreen.com for your basis of this statement. 

I could make the claim otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UrNotTalented said:

You think the conference wasnt legit until Witchita State was added? Boise would bring the same legitimacy? You have to be blind or plain ole delusional. The AAC has plenty good  basketball and football programs to where they dont need either of those schools. They're bonuses. You're confused. 

Another UofHolgorsen idiot on here. Probably CQ, but either way, it is amazing how many end up here because their own fans hate them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

If memory serves,before we joined CUSA existing members jumped ship like rats and mainly moved to form AAC. CUSA reloaded with WAC , Sun Belt , and start up programs. The" general "thought at the time was to try and move into as many major TV markets as possible, which made UNT, UTSA, and both Florida programs attractive. Then the TV money went away, and we are stuck in a geographical far flung conference that makes no sense and is on a par with the SBC which we left.[ Actually CUSA West is not even on a par with the Belt]. I used to think that the answer was to merge with the SBC and reshuffle the deck along more geographic in order to create natural rivals and reduce expenses. However,at second glance that idea looks more and more like a K Mart/ Sears merger. What 5 or 7 other schools to the east of Texas would want to join UTEP,UTSA,UNT,Texas State, and Rice in forming a new conference? While the MWC actually makes the geography worse for UNT, I think it may be our only salvation. Lets hope that Boise bolts for membership in the AAC, and the MWC looks to the state of Texas for expansion. If the Broncos make a football only move their natural replacement would be football only BYU. The only way this helps us is if it opens the door for MWC expansion. Interesting times ahead in the next few years.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

If memory serves,before we joined CUSA existing members jumped ship like rats and mainly moved to form AAC. CUSA reloaded with WAC , Sun Belt , and start up programs. The" general "thought at the time was to try and move into as many major TV markets as possible, which made UNT, UTSA, and both Florida programs attractive. Then the TV money went away, and we are stuck in a geographical far flung conference that makes no sense and is on a par with the SBC which we left.[ Actually CUSA West is not even on a par with the Belt]. I used to think that the answer was to merge with the SBC and reshuffle the deck along more geographic in order to create natural rivals and reduce expenses. However,at second glance that idea looks more and more like a K Mart/ Sears merger. What 5 or 7 other schools to the east of Texas would want to join UTEP,UTSA,UNT,Texas State, and Rice in forming a new conference? While the MWC actually makes the geography worse for UNT, I think it may be our only salvation. Lets hope that Boise bolts for membership in the AAC, and the MWC looks to the state of Texas for expansion. If the Broncos make a football only move their natural replacement would be football only BYU. The only way this helps us is if it opens the door for MWC expansion. Interesting times ahead in the next few years.

This.

What we are doing in the SBCUSA now is stupid. The conferences need to be tightened up, geographically. That would help everyone out immensely, staring today. There are 24 SBCUSA teams. Make it geographical like this:

UNT, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, Rice, and ULL in the West , La Tech, ULM, Arky State, USM, UAB, and Troy in the East of one league

USA, MUTS, WKU, FAU, FIU, Ga State, Ga Southern, Appy State, Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, and Coastal Carolina in some combo over there--I couldn't care less how they do it, just don't want to be in a conference setup with any of these teams, which is exactly how they feel about us.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This.

What we are doing in the SBCUSA now is stupid. The conferences need to be tightened up, geographically. That would help everyone out immensely, staring today. There are 24 SBCUSA teams. Make it geographical like this:

UNT, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, Rice, and ULL in the West , La Tech, ULM, Arky State, USM, UAB, and Troy in the East of one league

USA, MUTS, WKU, FAU, FIU, Ga State, Ga Southern, Appy State, Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, and Coastal Carolina in some combo over there--I couldn't care less how they do it, just don't want to be in a conference setup with any of these teams, which is exactly how they feel about us.

La. Tech will NEVER be in same conference as ULM. They turned down invitation to Independence Bowl in Shreveport a few years ago to avoid playing the Warhawks and sat at home. We could add New Mexico State instead of ULM, which would give us 6 teams that won a total of less than 20 football games last year, plus hope that La. Tech,ULL, Ark. St. ,USM , and 2 of the 3 Alabama teams join in.I think that might be a hard sale, as there are Southeastern programs while Texas and New Mexico are Southwestern. ULM needs to forced to drop back to 1AA based upon their budget. Again, we are merging Sears with K Mart.