Boise State To The AAC?

DeepGreen

8 hours ago, RBP79 said:

It's not like NT brings thousands of fans to away games. I've made it to several the last couple of years and take away the parents of some of the players and I'd be surprised if more than 100 other fans made the trip...outside of DFW.

You haven't been to an NT game at Rice, have you?  We outnumber the Rice fans (not that it's hard to do that).  Yes, a lot are family members, but there's also a lot of NT alumni in Houston who come out, and some who drive down from DFW as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I wouldn't consider 100 a decent crowd, but understandable given enough distance.  I don't know--I suppose at least 400 outside of DFW would be decent.  We had quite a few more than that at that Tulsa game I was mentioning, but I'd have a hard time giving an accurate guess.

I was at Tulsa in 2013. Pretty good sized NT crowd but long enough ago that I could not give an estimate. Maybe @Peacock has a guess.

26 minutes ago, wardly said:

Which G5 programs would you consider P5 material and why?

I simply detest the continued separation of college football from the D1A days.  There should be no "P5" or "G5" divisions.  Make no mistake, Boise State football has done very well over the years.  The Bowl win over OU several years ago put Boise on the map.  Yet, their stadium only has a capacity of 36,387.  Unless Albertsons donates more money to expand to 50-60K plus, at it's current configuration the stadium is too small.  Also, Boise's enrollment is only 25K, which is not small but who knows how many students in that number are "on-line" students not even living in Boise.  I don't know.

Besides North Texas(a pipedream), the only programs that would merit any sort of consideration for the almighty P5 status would be the University of Houston because they have been there, located in one of the largest cities in the US, and they have the backing of Tillman Fertitta.

I probably didn't answer your question completely, but I simply don't like the "have" and "have nots" situation in college football.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I simply detest the continued separation of college football from the D1A days.  There should be no "P5" or "G5" divisions.  Make no mistake, Boise State football has done very well over the years.  The Bowl win over OU several years ago put Boise on the map.  Yet, their stadium only has a capacity of 36,387.  Unless Albertsons donates more money to expand to 50-60K plus, at it's current configuration the stadium is too small.  Also, Boise's enrollment is only 25K, which is not small but who knows how many students in that number are "on-line" students not even living in Boise.  I don't know.

Besides North Texas(a pipedream), the only programs that would merit any sort of consideration for the almighty P5 status would be the University of Houston because they have been there, located in one of the largest cities in the US, and they have the backing of Tillman Fertitta.

I probably didn't answer your question completely, but I simply don't like the "have" and "have nots" situation in college football.

Understand you may not like it, but there is a definite difference between P5,G5, and 1AA programs. Just look at their budgets, stadium sizes,attendance, alumni giving, etc.

On 1/25/2020 at 6:17 PM, Stix said:

You haven't been to an NT game at Rice, have you?  We outnumber the Rice fans (not that it's hard to do that).  Yes, a lot are family members, but there's also a lot of NT alumni in Houston who come out, and some who drive down from DFW as well.

Been to several but didn't make this last year cause we put our money in Hattisburg and Ruston trips. The last one I went to, 2017, there was a decent NT crowd but no way near what we bring to SMU. Think the point I was going after that our fan base does bring some fans but being in perhaps a Conference like MWC the total number of traveling fans may not change that much. 

30 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Been to several but didn't make this last year cause we put our money in Hattisburg and Ruston trips. The last one I went to, 2017, there was a decent NT crowd but no way near what we bring to SMU. Think the point I was going after that our fan base does bring some fans but being in perhaps a Conference like MWC the total number of traveling fans may not change that much. 

Do you think TCU brought a lot of fans when they travelled in the MWC? You know, the conference they used to make the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl from a non-power league conference?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

All good points.  Based on stadium size alone, Boise State does not qualify.  Boise is a solid G5 program with great success.  Nothing more.

Wish we had the same success.

The way their stadium is currently built, there's no room for expansion. And for the two games I've been there the past two years, there's no reason to expand it. While they draw good crowds, they aren't filling it on most games. Then again, all the Friday night games probably doesn't help. I don't see how games with Tulane, SMU, or East Carolina bring more people. 

Helluva tailgate scene though. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Do you think TCU brought a lot of fans when they traveled in the MWC? You know, the conference they used to make the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl from a non-power league conference?

Are you inferring that if UNT joins the MWC, we will be going to the Rose Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl?  I think what got TCU to those bowls was the the quality of TCU's football team..  A case could be made that the MWC contributed to the success of TCU but only a small portion.  If TCU had lost several games in MWC conference play, TCU would not have played in those bowls.  Have any other MWC teams gone to the Rose and/or Fiesta bowls as members of the MWC?  Merely joining the MWC conference does not assure participating in the top bowls or receiving an invitation to join a P5 conference.  

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenDadx2 said:

Are you inferring that if UNT joins the MWC, we will be going to the Rose Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl?  I think what got TCU to those bowls was the the quality of TCU's football team..  A case could be made that the MWC contributed to the success of TCU but only a small portion.  If TCU had lost several games in MWC conference play, TCU would not have played in those bowls.  Have any other MWC teams gone to the Rose and/or Fiesta bowls as members of the MWC?  Merely joining the MWC conference does not assure participating in the top bowls or receiving an invitation to join a P5 conference.  

All true.  But a 11-1 team in the MWC would have a better chance at going to a much more prestigious bowl than an 11-1 team from CUSA.  That's just my opinion.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenDadx2 said:

Well, of course it doesn’t. But it does insure that you are in a better league with more TV money, national exposure, and better teams for your revenue sports.

TCU used that league to beat some other really good teams that were in it at the time with them, Utah and BYU. Boise State has not joined yet, but they are very comparable to the teams that left. The reward for doing very well in that league has been a BCS bowl spot. Boise has gone to the Fiesta Bowl as a member of the MWC at least once, maybe more. But the bigger difference is that winning that league gets your team into a great bowl setup. CUSA obviously doesn’t offer anything close to the same.

We won’t even touch basketball, which has seen Nevada, now SDSU, and in the past, New Mexico, UNLV, and Colorado State be ranked very strongly. I literally cannot remember a CUSA team being ranked in hoops since we joined. Our champ usually is a 12-14 type seed. 

The MWC would provide us with game against those teams out west plus a few CUSA members that would be going out west with us. 

• Thanks 1

North Texas has scheduled a home and home with Wyoming. 2023, 2024 I believe but we have played New Mexico in MBB...I just think if we had any chance of moving conferences, that the MWC is the only play. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde

43 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Well, of course it doesn’t. But it does insure that you are in a better league with more TV money, national exposure, and better teams for your revenue sports.

TCU used that league to beat some other really good teams that were in it at the time with them, Utah and BYU. Boise State has not joined yet, but they are very comparable to the teams that left. The reward for doing very well in that league has been a BCS bowl spot. Boise has gone to the Fiesta Bowl as a member of the MWC at least once, maybe more. But the bigger difference is that winning that league gets your team into a great bowl setup. CUSA obviously doesn’t offer anything close to the same.

We won’t even touch basketball, which has seen Nevada, now SDSU, and in the past, New Mexico, UNLV, and Colorado State be ranked very strongly. I literally cannot remember a CUSA team being ranked in hoops since we joined. Our champ usually is a 12-14 type seed. 

The MWC would provide us with game against those teams out west plus a few CUSA members that would be going out west with us. 

TCU was a very good team before going West.  Playing there, did not help them one bit; other than a place to hang out while waiting for something much better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

TCU was a very good team before going West.  Playing there, did not help them one bit; other than a place to hang out while waiting for something much better. 

BS...they wouldn’t have gone to the Fiesta Bowl or Rose Bowl if they had gone undefeated in CUSA 1.0, in part because Utah and BYU were ranked when they beat them, which that iteration of CUSA didn’t offer. 

@MeanGreenTexan—this is proof positive of why we will NEVER move over to the MWC even if we could. We have A large majority of fans that want to play UTSA and Rice because they are driveable and because the newspaper might not have a story on us on Sunday morning (smh). 

It is what it is...we think it’s better to play F_U, Charlotte, and ODU than it would be to play Fresno State, Boise State, and San Diego State. That’s not fixable, in my opinion. You just have to accept it or walk away like the other 98% do.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

BS...they wouldn’t have gone to the Fiesta Bowl or Rose Bowl if they had gone undefeated in CUSA 1.0, in part because Utah and BYU were ranked when they beat them, which that iteration of CUSA didn’t offer. 

@MeanGreenTexan—this is proof positive of why we will NEVER move over to the MWC even if we could. We have A large majority of fans that want to play UTSA and Rice because they are driveable and because the newspaper might not have a story on us on Sunday morning (smh). 

It is what it is...we think it’s better to play F_U, Charlotte, and ODU than it would be to play Fresno State, Boise State, and San Diego State. That’s not fixable, in my opinion. You just have to accept it or walk away like the other 98% do.

If I didn’t have hope, I wouldn’t be a Mean Green fan! 😂

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Double bs, you have no basis at all to assume TCU would have landed a lesser bowl if a member of CUSA.  TCU was the number 3 rated team in the nation.  TCU was a great team that year, and CUSA was a much better league than the current version. 

Your point positive, is likewise very suspect.   Number 1, there is to my knowledge, no indication that MWC wants NT or to expand East.  The cost and yes; money does matter; would be a major decision factor.    

NT would have to weigh bigger conference pay-offs versus the travel budget increases and probably a very large buy-in.  It is not a question of can NT afford membership in a Western conference, but rather would it be a wise investment. 

• Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Double bs, you have no basis at all to assume TCU would have landed a lesser bowl if a member of CUSA.  TCU was the number 3 rated team in the nation.  TCU was a great team that year, and CUSA was a much better league than the current version. 

Your point positive, is likewise very suspect.   Number 1, there is to my knowledge, no indication that MWC wants NT or to expand East.  The cost and yes; money does matter; would be a major decision factor.    

NT would have to weigh bigger conference pay-offs versus the travel budget increases and probably a very large buy-in.  It is not a question of can NT afford membership in a Western conference, but rather would it be a wise investment. 

Old Denton, right here, folks...hard

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 1/26/2020 at 3:57 PM, wardly said:

Understand you may not like it, but there is a definite difference between P5,G5, and 1AA programs. Just look at their budgets, stadium sizes,attendance, alumni giving, etc.

The budgets are due to the bonuses from conference play. That's why there's so much disparity between most of the G5 and P5, but not all. Some schools like iowa state and Vanderbilt can't produce a great program with all of the P5 bonuses working for them. There are more underachieving P5 schools if you look, but the product that's on the field is what's most important. It's about having the resources, not money, to complete. That's why the Houstons, Memphis, UCFs can separate themselves from the rest of the G5. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not wanting to advance the program due to comfort/financial concerns is very much a part of "old Denton".

Logic = Old Denton

I doubt there are many fans that don't want to advance NT's athletics.  

Comfort and financial concerns, what does this mean? 

Not analysing the financial impact of any change would be incredibly stupid even in a debate.   

Comfort with the status quo, every knowable fan wants NT to explore every opportunity.  

Pie in the Sky with no analysis = New Denton

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Back to original thesis of the thread - Boise moving to the AAC. I don't think it is likely, although stranger things have happened. The idea is since the AAC lost UConn they need another school to fill the space. Maybe, but that's not a certainty. Yes the will need a waiver to have a championship game without 12 teams after next year, but there is no reason to believe they wouldn't be given one. Secondly, Boise today isn't the Boise of a decade ago. They simply don't draw the interest they did back then. Third, the AAC has always been driven by TV markets more than the quality of the teams. While I think that's a flawed system, it's the one the AAC hasn't dropped yet. Losing UConn loses the 33 market in the 2020 rankings. Adding Boise adds the 101 market. It's unlikely the AAC really wants Boise, at least wants them enough to split their pie more. Boise just doesn't grow the pie enough to equal the slice they'd take. 

Simply put, there isn't going to be any MWC opening for NT to be considered as a candidate. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1