Boise State To The AAC?

DeepGreen

2 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Interesting article.  I just can't see Boise going cross country for football games, etc.

Boise State

I tend to agree however, it also seems like Boise has sort of floundered a bit from where they had elevated to in the past.  Being in a conference with the likes of UCF, Memphis, Houston, now Cincy and *gulp* SMU.  The author of the article states it well in that Boise is no longer nationally relevant and thus should consider all available options.

9 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Interesting article.  I just can't see Boise going cross country for football games, etc.

Boise State

They were going to when the old Big East was still a power league, but that got pulled, so they went to the MWC with preferential treatment. 

I actually expect them to do this  and play WCC in other sports like BYU.

That will leave the MWC with 10 full members and 11 football teams. I wonder who they would go after? Their timing might be pretty good to get some Big 12 leftovers in 2024 when their GOR expires.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Thanks 1

This all relates to the new TV deal for the MWC. Boise has had a "special agreement" which allowed them to have a separate TV deal with ESPN for home games. Looks like the rest of the conference wants them to be only part of the new deal they are working on.

Basically, it looks like Boise is trying to show that they are above the others and might be willing to break away if the others don't let them continue their arrangement. Seems like, on a much smaller version, similar to the Longhorn Network and the Big 12

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This all relates to the new TV deal for the MWC. Boise has had a "special agreement" which allowed them to have a separate TV deal with ESPN for home games. Looks like the rest of the conference wants them to be only part of the new deal they are working on.

Basically, it looks like Boise is trying to show that they are above the others and might be willing to break away if the others don't let them continue their arrangement. Seems like, on a much smaller version, similar to the Longhorn Network and the Big 12

That’s exactly what it is. They know they are a premier program for that league and want others in the MWC to add value to them. And that’s why they’ll end up in the AAC. They won’t get preferential treatment but will get a lot more TV money.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So they’re following UT’s lead.  

Worked well for the Big XII, just ask aTm, Nebraska and Mizzou

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

I’ve seen many people say they need to go to the B12, and then say we will be like TCU or Utah. Well imo they would need to at least play in a conference (like the AAC) where it’s not only them that competes. Utah and TCU had Boise to compete with, and that’s a reason why they are successful in their conference 

• Confused 1

On 1/23/2020 at 5:07 PM, untjim1995 said:

They were going to when the old Big East was still a power league, but that got pulled, so they went to the MWC with preferential treatment. 

I actually expect them to do this  and play WCC in other sports like BYU.

That will leave the MWC with 10 full members and 11 football teams. I wonder who they would go after? Their timing might be pretty good to get some Big 12 leftovers in 2024 when their GOR expires.

They may or may not do this. But given the geography, it feels like it is a very big risk for Boise (bigger for example than it would have been for TCu to go to the Big east, had that happened in the end).

Boise can try that and see if the other members panic, but frankly I think the MWC has more leverage here than Boise. When the current arrangement came about the uncertainty was much bigger for the conferences, but now the MWC would be a settled and stable conference even if Boise left. I mean where would any of the remaining members g? They are damned to stick together. With the current arrangement, the MWC doesn't get much out of having Boise in the conference anyway and has not all that much to lose by forcing them into the general deal.

Edited by outoftown

If I were the big 12 I would look at adding Boise and BYU to expand its stretch interest and give it two more powerhouse fan bases. The big 12 is losing ground to all the other p conferences except the pac 12. It could benefit from having more high profile matchups. Football games featuring tilts between Boise and BYU against Oklahoma and Texas have more national juice than anything matched up against Baylor or TCU.

Before the playoffs you could see anything that could be was being done to make sure baylor stayed out of the four. They don’t want them and their small non nationally interested fanbase near the big 4. Baylor took care of themselves or Oklahoma did and all was safe. 

big 12 needs to do something because they don’t even look like they belong in the same Sandbox as the sec and big 10 and Clemson.

GMG 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Would be happy to take their place. 

That will, very unfortunately, never happen. The fanbase overwhelmingly is against the MWC because it’s not driveable for games and is past newspaper deadlines if you kick off late on Saturday nights. Stupidest reasons ever, but it’s clear we are in the minority on this.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Would be happy to take their place. 

16 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

That will, very unfortunately, never happen. The fanbase overwhelmingly is against the MWC because it’s not driveable for games and is past newspaper deadlines if you kick off late on Saturday nights. Stupidest reasons ever, but it’s clear we are in the minority on this.

Ask Louisiana Tech fans how they enjoyed being in Big West and WAC...  All that did was frustrate fans and end them up in Conference USA (the same one we're in).

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I don't think B12 fans would get juiced up watching their teams play Boise State.

Probably because they wouldn't like getting beat by Boise, especially when a home game for Boise. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I would like to see a poll on this subject because I think you might be surprised by the outcome. 

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Yeah, fans attending away games has got to be the dumbest reason ever,  I'm sure the team feels the same way.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

It's not like NT brings thousands of fans to away games. I've made it to several the last couple of years and take away the parents of some of the players and I'd be surprised if more than 100 other fans made the trip...outside of DFW.

Does anyone else remember that game at Tulsa--I think it was 2013--where the "North...Texas" chant was far and away drowning out every sound in the stadium?  While we're not going to carry a huge crowd to Western Kentucky or Southern Miss, we can bring a decent crowd within a half day's drive.

That said, give me the Mountain West over the current C-USA any day.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Does anyone else remember that game at Tulsa--I think it was 2013--where the "North...Texas" chant was far and away drowning out every sound in the stadium?  While we're not going to carry a huge crowd to Western Kentucky or Southern Miss, we can bring a decent crowd within a half day's drive.

That said, give me the Mountain West over the current C-USA any day.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what do you consider a "decent crowd"? Just asking.

56 minutes ago, wardly said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but what do you consider a "decent crowd"? Just asking.

I wouldn't consider 100 a decent crowd, but understandable given enough distance.  I don't know--I suppose at least 400 outside of DFW would be decent.  We had quite a few more than that at that Tulsa game I was mentioning, but I'd have a hard time giving an accurate guess.