No offer from North Texas for Cobbs

greenjoe

No, not that Cobbs,   Kaedric Cobbs the senior from right here in 

Denton.  The Guyer High School running back just received the $30,000. Davey O'Brien High School Award given to the outstanding high school athlete in DFW.  Cobbs is not only an outstanding athlete but he's number 1 in his senior class with a 5.0 GPA.

He has received offers from UTSA, Abilene Christian,  San Diego, Conn, Navy, Army, Air Force, and Tulane.  But guess who, according to the DR-C hasn't offered ?  That's right.  My favorite team.

I know less about recruiting football players than anybody but I don't understand why NT almost insults local talent by not offering a scholarship to kids that grow up, in the shadow of Apogee Stadium.  It seems to just be good business to me.  Offer a local kid that would bring his family and friends to watch him play Saturday afternoons.  Sell them a hot dog and a hat.  And even if they don't attend, at least NT made them the same offer as U T S A !

• Upvote 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

No, not that Cobbs,   Kaedric Cobbs the senior from right here in 

Denton.  The Guyer High School running back just received the $30,000. Davey O'Brien High School Award given to the outstanding high school athlete in DFW.  Cobbs is not only an outstanding athlete but he's number 1 in his senior class with a 5.0 GPA.

He has received offers from UTSA, Abilene Christian,  San Diego, Conn, Navy, Army, Air Force, and Tulane.  But guess who, according to the DR-C hasn't offered ?  That's right.  My favorite team.

I know less about recruiting football players than anybody but I don't understand why NT almost insults local talent by not offering a scholarship to kids that grow up, in the shadow of Apogee Stadium.  It seems to just be good business to me.  Offer a local kid that would bring his family and friends to watch him play Saturday afternoons.  Sell them a hot dog and a hat.  And even if they don't attend, at least NT made them the same offer as U T S A !

We are stacked at RB and need lineman on both sides. Yeah we probably should have offered earlier but now that we have a rb signed for this class I think that we are doing the smart thing

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, agw0038 said:

Know way too much about this situation and probably shouldn't comment.

I will say this.....

I agree UNT should have offered, but they should've don't way back in the summer in my opinion. 

At this point, I do not think there is mutual interest. I wish the best for this young man because he really is an awesome kid and the real deal. None of what he does or says is fake. 

I think UNT is tired of being the "Gate Keeper" to bigger offers. Notice none of the other metroplex schools have offered (there is a reason for that) I believe this would change pretty quickly if we were to pull the trigger. (SMU is lurking in the shadows waiting for the opportunity to swoop in and take a kid from UNT. And if it was a local Denton kid, can you imagine the publicity?)

Unfortunately this a lose-lose situation for the Mean Green. UNT will continue to get some bad press for not offering him but I still think it's better than the alternative of having him use our offer to get to SMU or TCU. 

Bottom line offer the kids who fit the formula for success in your program. No matter where they are from. 

GMG

So.....SMU and Big 12 member TCU feel more threatened by 4-8 North Texas than by 10-3 SDSU, 5-8 Army, 11-2 Air Force and (SMU conference mates) 11-2 Navy & 7-6 Tulane?  

That’s some pretty impressive power the Mean Green is slinging around these days.

I’d say we have arrived.😆🤷🏻‍♂️😆

dragon fail GIF by Clasharama

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I would not use the word "threatened". They have lot of respect (even more so then they will ever admit) for the UNT coaches' ability to evaluate talent. 

And again, UNT will no longer be the "gate keeper" to bigger offers. If SMU or TCU really want him then they'll make an offer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, agw0038 said:

I would not use the word "threatened". They have lot of respect (even more so then they will ever admit) for the UNT coaches' ability to evaluate talent. 

And again, UNT will no longer be the "gate keeper" to bigger offers. If SMU or TCU really want him then they'll make an offer. 

Doesn't this contradict your earlier post?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The first post you said UNT was tired of being a gatekeeper to bigger offers, but then you said we will no long be the gate keeper and that SMU/TCU would offer if they really wanted him.  Maybe I am just reading it wrong.  Either way, I hope we don't shy away from people just because we think SMU might follow with an offer.  We are better than SMU

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I was using SMU and TCU as an example of bigger offers because they are local and it refers back to my initial point that the local universities have not offered and that there is a reason for that. 

I  realize some of us don't consider SMU a bigger program but they are definitely in a better conference. 

Cobbs is a good kid and will end up at a program that's a good fit for him. 

Edited by agw0038
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Frustrating we haven't offered, but as mentioned this should have happened long ago.  This kid was a freshman all-american when he moved to Guyer so he didn't exactly sneak up.  I would really hope our coaches have known about him for years, so at this point if I'm Kaedric I'm feeling disrespected by UNT.  I think it's safe to say we have almost no relationship with Guyer despite them having probably 1-2 kids a year that are UNT caliber players, and decisions like this probably don't make things easier.  Recruiting local schools seems like it should be easy, but like someone mentioned on the recruiting board it can make things tougher in a lot of cases.  RB is a position of need moving forward, and it sucks to lose out on a good kid like this, but we missed our chance.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1