UTSA (1/23/20)

UNTLifer

I was looking forward and ran across some interesting notes on this game.

UTSA is 0-9 away from their high school gym.  This includes road and neutral site games.

They are led by their backcourt, Jackson and Wallace, who combine to account for 55.14% of their scoring.  Jackson averages 25.8 per game and Wallace 17.4.  They also play heavy minutes averaging 33 a game each.

As a team, UTSA shoots .428 FG, .353 Three-point FG's and .756 from the line.  As a comparison, we shoot .474 FG, .385 3Pt., and .730 FT.

We have one common opponent in Utah State.  We lost 68-59 and they lost 80-52

I will mull over these stats and post a prediction later, but we will win.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

This will be the trickiest game this year because no team we have faced, in conference, has a Jhivvan Jackson. Dude is lethal

We have held other teams leading scorers under their average most of the time this year. 
I don’t think I’ll make a prediction yet

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

This will be the trickiest game this year because no team we have faced, in conference, has a Jhivvan Jackson. Dude is lethal

We have held other teams leading scorers under their average most of the time this year. 
I don’t think I’ll make a prediction yet

I predict we put Reese on Jackson as he has usually drawn the other team's top scorer and did a good job on Murphy from Rice, although our defense does a lot of switching.  They rely so heavily on their backcourt, that I would be interested if we trot out something along the lines of the old triangle and two.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, CMJ said:

Please - let's call them by their name in the thread title.  I have never in over a dozen years of doing these specific game threads called a team by a demeaning nickname.

EDIT:  Thanks.

Scrotums?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I predict we put Reese on Jackson as he has usually drawn the other team's top scorer and did a good job on Murphy from Rice, although our defense does a lot of switching.  They really so heavily on their backcourt, that I would be interested if we trot out something along the lines of the old triangle and two.

I’m curious to see how Mccasland handles this. Hamlet has almost always guarded the ball all year whether that player is the leading scorer or not and Reese gets the top off-ball scorer. But Jackson is a little of both. I think Reese gets him because of how much they run him off of off-ball screens, but we had Woolridge on him some last year too so maybe we see Hamlet thrown on him at times too. 

I disagree that we do a lot of switching though. Our guys don’t switch until they pretty much have to. Mccasland himself says he doesn’t like to switch. Rice was, and has been since Mccasland and Pera were hired, able to get a lot of clean looks and have offensive success for most of the game against us because of our guys getting stuck fighting through screens. That’s gonna make things tough for us with what UTSA does. Maybe you should add an over/under prediction along with your spread prediction.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

I predict we put Reese on Jackson as he has usually drawn the other team's top scorer and did a good job on Murphy from Rice, although our defense does a lot of switching.  They really so heavily on their backcourt, that I would be interested if we trot out something along the lines of the old triangle and two.

I agree with that. Reese is probably the best defender on the team, so I would think they don’t switch Reese at all. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Quoner said:

What about this one? Why is it unofficial? Did you fall in the shower and forget?

Nope, didn't forget but it had taken a turn due to my "obscene" nickname for the Runners in the title.  Thought I would start another thread dedicated strictly to the game, but combining them is fine.  

By the way, I use a shower stool and wear water shoes to keep from falling, plus the walk-in tub is awesome

Related image

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Aren’t you like 3-3 in the past games?

I started with the FIU game and am undefeated straight up and 4-1 against the spread I predict.

FIU: 74 - 56, I predicted we would win by 10 or more

FAU: 81-58, predicted we would win by 10 or more

USM: 72 - 52, predicted by 15 or more

La Tech: 51-50, predicted 3 or more.

Rice: 79-50, predicted we would win by 12 or more.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I started with the FIU game and am undefeated straight up and 4-1 against the spread I predict.

FIU: 74 - 56, I predicted we would win by 10 or more

FAU: 81-58, predicted we would win by 10 or more

USM: 72 - 52, predicted by 15 or more

La Tech: 51-50, predicted 3 or more.

Rice: 79-50, predicted we would win by 12 or more.

General rule in life: Just keep it straight up, and you shall never be defeated.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1