Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
TheReal_jayD

Ekeler Returning to UNT as Special Team Coach

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Had heard Seth was interested in Ekeler for 4 special team opening. it was just announced that Ekeler has left Kansas to pursue other opportunities. Definitely something to watch. Ekeler could easily be called The Best of evaluator of talent in Seths tenure at North Texas

I would definitely be open to this.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

So this coach lived in a camper his whole time here?

Yes. He stayed in a RV while his family stayed back in Georgia. I would not be surprised to see the situation repeat itself if he were to actually return. 
On a different note, it never seemed like a good fit to me that a KState  diehard player could be comfortable coaching at KU. I’d get the same feeling if Bowen went to KSU. I know the whole Darrell Royal deal but it has to be a gut punch to try and beat your alma mater.....unless you are Ramon Flanagan and then you jump around like a friggin idiot.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d prefer a Tommy Perry return but I don’t get paid the big bucks.

 

Feel free to ignore McCarney talking in generalities after Perry.

 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Venson said:

Brett Vito is reporting this.

 

of course he is. It was posted on gmg 8 hours ago.

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I’d prefer a Tommy Perry return but I don’t get paid the big bucks.

 

Feel free to ignore McCarney talking in generalities after Perry.

 

right there with you on Perry. Won't happen as long as Littrell is here though.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ekeler found EJ Ejiya all the way up at a JUCO in Minnesota and I always liked him.

Who cares if he didn't buy a house here, Bodie Reeder did and guess what? He's selling it less than a year later. This is a bad ass coach who produced when he was here.

I love the hire welcome back Coach Ekeler.

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Ekeler found EJ Ejiya all the way up at a JUCO in Minnesota and I always liked him.

Who cares if he didn't buy a house here, Bodie Reeder did and guess what? He's selling it less than a year later. This is a bad ass coach who produced when he was here.

I love the hire welcome back Coach Ekeler.

He also found Hamilton.

 

Welcome back to North Texas. Now go find some more Dawgs. 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

@TheReal_jayD  Is he coming back strictly as a ST's coach?   If so, that's a coup and I'm very happy with that hire, if that's indeed happening.

That is what I am hearing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

That is what I am hearing.

It will also be great to have him as a sounding board for Bowen, when needed, as well.    
We know Bowen is an experienced DC, but having 2 on staff is nice.

Wish I felt as comfortable about what is going on with the other side of the ball... but I'll wait & see on that one.  Sounds like Seth is going to grab the reigns there, and that is OK with me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also love that he is returning.  My issue was renting vs. owning, but it was the visual it gave of him living in a trailer.  I want coaches that are 100% committed to UNT succeeding and not appearing to look for the next best offer.

@MartyWhat is the beef between Littrell and Perry?  Did we ever learn specifics?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I also love that he is retiring.  My issue was renting vs. owning, but it was the visual it gave of him living in a trailer.  I want coaches that are 100% committed to UNT succeeding and not appearing to look for the next best offer.

@MartyWhat is the beef between Littrell and Perry?  Did we ever learn specifics?

I don't know details. But did not see eye to eye. Perry won't be back with Seth here. 

 

As far as coaches wanting to be here. We have learned if P5 come calling with bags of money very few coaches say no to that. Only coaches that will be more loyal to North Texas than money is coaches that call North Texas Alma mater (Patrick Cobb and clay Jennings)

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love Ekeler back in a second! He was one of my favorite assistants we had. Plus amazing eye for talent 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

As far as coaches wanting to be here. We have learned if P5 come calling with bags of money very few coaches say no to that. Only coaches that will be more loyal to North Texas than money is coaches that call North Texas Alma mater (Patrick Cobb and clay Jennings)

I get the gut feeling that this is an all-in one year deal so they can do what was supposed to happen last year with KState and transfer the entire staff to a P5 gig. Ek is hitching his future to what he sees as a rising star in Seth rather than sticking it out in a tough situation with KU. 
 

As far as coaches loyal to NT, I’d argue that list stops with Cobbs. My feeling is Jennings is loyal to the paycheck he is getting until someone gives him a bigger one.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I get the gut feeling that this is an all-in one year deal so they can do what was supposed to happen last year with KState and transfer the entire staff to a P5 gig. Ek is hitching his future to what he sees as a rising star in Seth rather than sticking it out in a tough situation with KU. 
 

As far as coaches loyal to NT, I’d argue that list stops with Cobbs. My feeling is Jennings is loyal to the paycheck he is getting until someone gives him a bigger one.

And I am okay with that thinking. For your hypothetical to happen we have to win 9+ games. If that happens I will be a happy fan. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.