Ekeler Returning to UNT as Special Team Coach

TheReal_jayD

11 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

OFFER A POSITION TO MARCUS TRICE

Y'Barbo as an offensive coach and Trice as a defensive coach could prove to be a fantastically motivating force for the team. They were both great leaders as players and I'm sure that has continued in their coaching careers.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

Ekeler profiles:

Kansas

North Texas

247 Sports

Ekeler came to UNC after serving as North Texas’ defensive coordinator and linebackers coach in 2016. In his first season at North Texas, Ekeler oversaw a defense that held opponents to 8.7 points per game fewer than the previous year. That turnaround in scoring defense was the 13th-best mark in the country. He also oversaw a linebacking corps that included the team’s sack leader Joshua Wheeler (5.5).

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meaniegreenie said:

I've read through this thread twice and see nothing that confirms the thread title. 

I only see speculation. 

Has he been hired or not?  Hoping to hear a confirmed YES.

Ekeler is returning to UNT as special team coach. Huge addition for Seth. Great evaluator and great motivator. Perfect fit for special team coach. I figure North Texas will announce 3 known hirings next week.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, meaniegreenie said:

I've read through this thread twice and see nothing that confirms the thread title. 

I only see speculation. 

Has he been hired or not?  Hoping to hear a confirmed YES.

If you go to his Twitter page, he's wearing a Mean Green shirt.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Check out @TheReal_jayD post above. 

As I said...I've read the entire thread TWICE.  I can read the OP 100 times and it still says he's left Kansas and it's something to watch.  His other post says he's been hired, but I see no link to an official announcement.  Simply reading a post in a forum doesn't make it true. (I've just been made starting QB in the superbowl).

I agree that it LOOKS like he's coming here.  But I asked if he's been hired or not.  So far the answer is "WE THINK SO", but not "YES".  That's all I was asking to get clarified.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

As I said...I've read the entire thread TWICE.  I can read the OP 100 times and it still says he's left Kansas and it's something to watch.  His other post says he's been hired, but I see no link to an official announcement.  Simply reading a post in a forum doesn't make it true. (I've just been made starting QB in the superbowl).

I agree that it LOOKS like he's coming here.  But I asked if he's been hired or not.  So far the answer is "WE THINK SO", but not "YES".  That's all I was asking to get clarified.

I think they are going to announce them officially in the next week. In the meantime, Ekeler changed his twitter profile picture to a photo of him from his first time here wearing Mean Green gear.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

My impression of JD is that he doesn't say something is a done deal unless it is.  Even if it isn't official.

If you want an official announcement, it's not out yet.  But I would say it's well past speculation.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

I mean, look at what just happened here folks:

A Special Teams coach at a P5 school that’s on the upswing, decides to leave that role in order to take the same role @ North Texas, likely with a pay cut.   

That should speak volumes to direction we’re trending that a guy would prefer to make a lateral move, role-wise, from a P5 to a G5.

Very glad to have him back if this is indeed happening.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A Special Teams coach at a P5 school that’s on the upswing, decides to leave that role in order to take the same role @ North Texas, likely with a pay cut.   

That should speak volumes to direction we’re trending that a guy would prefer to make a lateral move, role-wise, from a P5 to a G5.

I think Ekeler is a pretty smart guy, and is coming here because he thinks it's better for him and his family. Whether the money is less or the same right now, you can bet he's found reasons, tangible or intangible, to think returning to UNT is the best choice. Heck, maybe he was just happier here. If Graham Harrell has proved nothing else, he has shown that, for the first time in a while, North Texas can give a coaching career the right trajectory. Whether it's the right ultimate destination is yet to be proven, but we're getting there. Thank you, Brint Ryan and others.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eulessismore said:

I think Ekeler is a pretty smart guy, and is coming here because he thinks it's better for him and his family. Whether the money is less or the same right now, you can bet he's found reasons, tangible or intangible, to think returning to UNT is the best choice. Heck, maybe he was just happier here. If Graham Harrell has proved nothing else, he has shown that, for the first time in a while, North Texas can give a coaching career the right trajectory. Whether it's the right ultimate destination is yet to be proven, but we're getting there. Thank you, Brint Ryan and others.

Dr. Smatresk for hiring SL and WB while we are at it.  Athletics being such a priority has filled my green heart.  So much non athletic benefit from it all too.  As hard as Ls are, I do believe these are good times in Denton.  Grant has a nice chance to build on that right now with MBB.  10 of 12 games next yr are played in our own state.  How crazy is that?  Great opportunity to go on a revival tour after losing MF and a bad season.  This Spring is critical with all the new faces.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's certainly possible that he was encouraged to start looking elsewhere.