Ekeler Returning to UNT as Special Team Coach

TheReal_jayD

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Had heard Seth was interested in Ekeler for 4 special team opening. it was just announced that Ekeler has left Kansas to pursue other opportunities. Definitely something to watch. Ekeler could easily be called The Best of evaluator of talent in Seths tenure at North Texas

I would definitely be open to this.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

So this coach lived in a camper his whole time here?

Yes. He stayed in a RV while his family stayed back in Georgia. I would not be surprised to see the situation repeat itself if he were to actually return. 
On a different note, it never seemed like a good fit to me that a KState  diehard player could be comfortable coaching at KU. I’d get the same feeling if Bowen went to KSU. I know the whole Darrell Royal deal but it has to be a gut punch to try and beat your alma mater.....unless you are Ramon Flanagan and then you jump around like a friggin idiot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I’d prefer a Tommy Perry return but I don’t get paid the big bucks.

Feel free to ignore McCarney talking in generalities after Perry.

right there with you on Perry. Won't happen as long as Littrell is here though.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Ekeler found EJ Ejiya all the way up at a JUCO in Minnesota and I always liked him.

Who cares if he didn't buy a house here, Bodie Reeder did and guess what? He's selling it less than a year later. This is a bad ass coach who produced when he was here.

I love the hire welcome back Coach Ekeler.

He also found Hamilton.

Welcome back to North Texas. Now go find some more Dawgs. 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

That is what I am hearing.

It will also be great to have him as a sounding board for Bowen, when needed, as well.    
We know Bowen is an experienced DC, but having 2 on staff is nice.

Wish I felt as comfortable about what is going on with the other side of the ball... but I'll wait & see on that one.  Sounds like Seth is going to grab the reigns there, and that is OK with me.

• Upvote 2

I also love that he is returning.  My issue was renting vs. owning, but it was the visual it gave of him living in a trailer.  I want coaches that are 100% committed to UNT succeeding and not appearing to look for the next best offer.

@MartyWhat is the beef between Littrell and Perry?  Did we ever learn specifics?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I also love that he is retiring.  My issue was renting vs. owning, but it was the visual it gave of him living in a trailer.  I want coaches that are 100% committed to UNT succeeding and not appearing to look for the next best offer.

@MartyWhat is the beef between Littrell and Perry?  Did we ever learn specifics?

I don't know details. But did not see eye to eye. Perry won't be back with Seth here. 

As far as coaches wanting to be here. We have learned if P5 come calling with bags of money very few coaches say no to that. Only coaches that will be more loyal to North Texas than money is coaches that call North Texas Alma mater (Patrick Cobb and clay Jennings)

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

As far as coaches wanting to be here. We have learned if P5 come calling with bags of money very few coaches say no to that. Only coaches that will be more loyal to North Texas than money is coaches that call North Texas Alma mater (Patrick Cobb and clay Jennings)

I get the gut feeling that this is an all-in one year deal so they can do what was supposed to happen last year with KState and transfer the entire staff to a P5 gig. Ek is hitching his future to what he sees as a rising star in Seth rather than sticking it out in a tough situation with KU. 

As far as coaches loyal to NT, I’d argue that list stops with Cobbs. My feeling is Jennings is loyal to the paycheck he is getting until someone gives him a bigger one.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I get the gut feeling that this is an all-in one year deal so they can do what was supposed to happen last year with KState and transfer the entire staff to a P5 gig. Ek is hitching his future to what he sees as a rising star in Seth rather than sticking it out in a tough situation with KU. 

As far as coaches loyal to NT, I’d argue that list stops with Cobbs. My feeling is Jennings is loyal to the paycheck he is getting until someone gives him a bigger one.

And I am okay with that thinking. For your hypothetical to happen we have to win 9+ games. If that happens I will be a happy fan. 

• Upvote 3