Mean Green Respond to Defeat Rice

UNTLifer

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-Texas-Mean-Green-basketball-respond-to-defeat-Rice-extend-win-streak-to-six-142508306/

While it wasn’t the blowout North Texas (12-8, 6-1) fans have increasingly become accustomed to at home, the Mean Green defeated the Owls 79-59, securing the best start in conference play since 1989.

😲

• Upvote 2

Twenty points isn't a blow-out? I couldn't tell that by the look on the Rice coach's face after the game last night. I've seen headlines from NBA games recently claiming a team was "blown out" when losing by less then 15 points.  Now, that was a head scratcher for me, but 20 points seems pretty darn within the blow-out range.

But, from watching the game at the Super Pit last night, I can tell you from a fan standpoint, it sure didn't feel like a blowout. Mentioned that to a couple of folks walking out...20 point win...sure didn't seem like a 20 point win. But, give me more of these "it sure didn't seem like a 20-point win" games. I am down for that.

By the way...this team deserves more fans to show up. First place in CUSA and playing a style lots of fun to watch. Sure getting 2200-2300 most games, but come on man!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

It was a 10 point game with 3 minutes left. Then they started putting us on the line to try and extend the game, and Hamlet’s uncontested three at the end put us up by 20 for the first time. Against FIU and FAU we were up by 20 with about 6 minutes left and the game felt over. With Rice it was a ballgame well passed that point. 

Yeah it’s splitting hairs, but it was not as apparent a blowout as any of the 5 previous home games in terms of when the outcome was decided. Call it what you want, it’s a 20-point win either way.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

These kids are playing some great basketball. Coach McCasland has done a fantastic job digging the program out of the Tony Benford grave. 

McCasland is a real coach and teacher.    He hasn't necessarily had some of the best "paper talent" yet.    But, he gets results.    It is a real pleasure to watch him work.    Great move by Wren to buy him out from Ark. St.   You would think eventually that sustained success should finally help out with future recruiting.  Schools like W Kentucky have left us in the dust as far as recruiting goes lately.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Twenty points isn't a blow-out? I couldn't tell that by the look on the Rice coach's face after the game last night. I've seen headlines from NBA games recently claiming a team was "blown out" when losing by less then 15 points.  Now, that was a head scratcher for me, but 20 points seems pretty darn within the blow-out range.

But, from watching the game at the Super Pit last night, I can tell you from a fan standpoint, it sure didn't feel like a blowout. Mentioned that to a couple of folks walking out...20 point win...sure didn't seem like a 20 point win. But, give me more of these "it sure didn't seem like a 20-point win" games. I am down for that.

By the way...this team deserves more fans to show up. First place in CUSA and playing a style lots of fun to watch. Sure getting 2200-2300 most games, but come on man!

Should have at least 4-5k for UTSA, and UTEP might be better 

• Upvote 1

I love Mac and were we are currently at, but this shouldn't be our stopping point.

With our spending/budget, IMO, we should be shooting for regular NCAA appearances (and wins).

BTW, this fan base needs to know and experience what a S16 appearance can feel like.  There are few things in college sports like it.  We have not had that yet.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

I love Mac and were we are currently at, but this shouldn't be our stopping point.

With our spending/budget, IMO, we should be shooting for regular NCAA appearances (and wins).

BTW, this fan base needs to know and experience what a S16 appearance can feel like.  There are few things in college sports like it.  We have not had that yet.

I'd just like to experience making the Round of 32.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1