Updated Odds

BillySee58

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Last night was pretty obviously a huge win for us, and what the metrics show is certainly congruent with that feeling.

According to Bart Torvik’s website, our chances of having at least a share of 1st place heading into pool play jumped from about 58% to 86% with the win, and our chances of going into pool play as the outright 1st place team jumped from I believe about 33% to 66%.

http://www.barttorvik.com/conodds.php?conf=CUSA

We are also now 1st in CUSA in NET (jumped La Tech with the win), 2nd in CUSA in KenPom behind La Tech, and 2nd in RPI begins WKU according to RealTimeRPI.

We have put ourselves in a great position to be in the thick of things. Now time to take care of some games we should win.

Hopefully this Is  building to something better than a 15-16 seed...

• Upvote 2

I would be comfortable in stating that I don't think this team is anywhere near their potential at this point.  If they keep working hard and don't get ahead of themselves, there is no reason they shouldn't win out.  I love the defense this team plays and look forward to a complete offensive game from our guys.  This team can be special.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Hopefully this Is  building to something better than a 15-16 seed...

I think a lot about how these mid-tier conferences are perceived, and how they can improve upon that perception.  I speculate two things would help our (CUSA) cause.  This would apply to a lot of mid-major conferences:

1) You need a bell-ringer.  Have a program that can threaten the top 15 in the country and constantly make OOC noise.  wins 30-ish games every year, and people know it will happen.
2) once you have an established top tier team, you want a second tier of teams to also make noise...without threatening the bell-ringer's place in media perception.  When you can get 2-4 additional teams that can re-enforce what #1 is already doing OOC you can start getting those 2-3 extra bids.  This might take a few years.

Extra important, however, that the #1 team isn't taken down in conference play.  If they have 1-2 conference losses, the talking heads have two options to consider: 1) bell-ringer isn't as good as advertised and the rest of the conferece is having a down year, or 2) The bell-ringer is still very good but there are also 2-3 additional teams that are equally good.  The media will almost always choose the first option.  This is the uphill battle we face as mid-major.

This is just me speculating after what I saw when Memphis/Calipari was in the league.  It was frustrating to watch them get all the attention, but if they lost then the conference didn't seem to get ANY attention.

@CMJ would probably have a better opinion of this.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I think a lot about how these mid-tier conferences are perceived, and how they can improve upon that perception.  I speculate two things would help our (CUSA) cause.  This would apply to a lot of mid-major conferences:

1) You need a bell-ringer.  Have a program that can threaten the top 15 in the country and constantly make OOC noise.  wins 30-ish games every year, and people know it will happen.
2) once you have an established top tier team, you want a second tier of teams to also make noise...without threatening the bell-ringer's place in media perception.  When you can get 2-4 additional teams that can re-enforce what #1 is already doing OOC you can start getting those 2-3 extra bids.  This might take a few years.

Extra important, however, that the #1 team isn't taken down in conference play.  If they have 1-2 conference losses, the talking heads have two options to consider: 1) bell-ringer isn't as good as advertised and the rest of the conferece is having a down year, or 2) The bell-ringer is still very good but there are also 2-3 additional teams that are equally good.  The media will almost always choose the first option.  This is the uphill battle we face as mid-major.

This is just me speculating after what I saw when Memphis/Calipari was in the league.  It was frustrating to watch them get all the attention, but if they lost then the conference didn't seem to get ANY attention.

@CMJ would probably have a better opinion of this.

No, you summed it up really well.

• Upvote 2

See the west coast conference. Gonzaga gets the glory and has established themselves as the best. St. Mary’s challenges to keep bell ringer on their toes. BYU has name recognition  and can upset the bell ringer and conference challenger. That’s pretty much it every year in that league. 
GMG

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Gonna be tough with the amount of losses. Not much margin for error but hey, MTSU was a 15 seed in 2015 then got a 12 seed the next year. Just need to focus on getting that 1 spot come pool play.

We don’t have many bad losses, at least in my mind. EMU, Rhode Island, and OU maybe. We played tough teams. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

We don’t have many bad losses, at least in my mind. EMU, Rhode Island, and OU maybe. We played tough teams. 

2 of those 3 are making the tournament though. We've also beat teams that have a good chance at winning their conference

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Umm, isn’t that how bad losses occur?

We’re talking about bad losses in terms of résumé. A road loss at one of the best CUSA teams who is ranked close to the top 100 in NET isn’t a bad loss. A loss at home to the 235th ranked NET team (EMU) is a bad loss.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1