Let's See How Hard We Hit the Transfer Portal

UNTLifer

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t want any 1-year guys. Likely going to have a sophomore QB as well as a lot of other underclassmen starting and playing significant snaps. Let’s keep building the roster instead of use scholarships on guys who we will need to replace in a year.

Offensive and defensive lineman would take in a heartbeat!

• Upvote 3

I am a newby at this math, but wouldn't one year use of a scholarship with a proven OL or DL be at least as good a bet as signing a four year player of whatever position that might be a flier? The former is gone in a year and we have the scholarship back. The latter might take 2-3 years to develop and you get the productivity in the fourth year the one year gave you three years ago.

In other words, if we can find the stud worth investing four years on, YES! If we are rolling the dice, use it on the one year guy and look for the four year guy in 2021.

GMG

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

I am a newby at this math, but wouldn't one year use of a scholarship with a proven OL or DL be at least as good a bet as signing a four year player of whatever position that might be a flier? The former is gone in a year and we have the scholarship back. The latter might take 2-3 years to develop and you get the productivity in the fourth year the one year gave you three years ago.

In other words, if we can find the stud worth investing four years on, YES! If we are rolling the dice, use it on the one year guy and look for the four year guy in 2021.

GMG

There are two reasons I don’t want a senior grad transfer. One is because I want as much playing time as possible this season to go to guys who will be back in future years. The other reason is that you only get 25 scholarships per class. Assuming you’re using all 25 spots either way, using a spot in 2020 on a senior just means one less scholarship player on the 2021 roster. That is why Littrell going so JUCO heavy early on has made it tough to get close to a full 85 scholarship players

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

There are two reasons I don’t want a senior grad transfer. One is because I want as much playing time as possible this season to go to guys who will be back in future years. The other reason is that you only get 25 scholarships per class. Assuming you’re using all 25 spots either way, using a spot in 2020 on a senior just means one less scholarship player on the 2021 roster. That is why Littrell going so JUCO heavy early on has made it tough to get close to a full 85 scholarship players

But what would you do if you were trying to have one really good year?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1