Seth hires 2 coaches for offense

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, forevereagle said:

I think you don't understand what I am getting at here. My comments have nothing to do with the hire in one way or the other, I am questioning that you care about being pessimistic and have a genuine distaste for it.

I understand. But I don't think you understand the situation at hand, the schedule we have set forth for ourselves and the lack of recruiting at need position groups. We very well may take a step back from a 4-8 season which is hard to fathom. I call this realism. You call this pessimism. 

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

?jennifer lawrence ok GIF

So better than 6-6? Please, entertain me...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I understand. But I don't think you understand the situation at hand, the schedule we have set forth for ourselves and the lack of recruiting at need position groups. We very well may take a step back from a 4-8 season which is hard to fathom. I call this realism. You call this pessimism. 

I understand the situation just fine, thank you. I do call it pessimism because you are choosing to look at the negative when in reality, you have no idea how this will work out because you know very little about the situation. Realism is to admit that you don't have the information to truly determine one way or another if these hires are good or not. Realism is to understand that a successful coaching hire has so many variables that are not within your current purview that it is impossible to fairly evaluate them at this point. You have chosen to say that all the hires are bad because they don't meet the criteria that you have arbitrarily set, and that is pessimism. You never make a fair evaluation of the situation, you always predict the worst. That is, by definition, pessimistic. You can call it realism, but you even admit that when things are going well, you don't have much to say. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

8 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

I understand the situation just fine, thank you. I do call it pessimism because you are choosing to look at the negative when in reality, you have no idea how this will work out because you know very little about the situation. Realism is to admit that you don't have the information to truly determine one way or another if these hires are good or not. Realism is to understand that a successful coaching hire has so many variables that are not within your current purview that it is impossible to fairly evaluate them at this point. You have chosen to say that all the hires are bad because they don't meet the criteria that you have arbitrarily set, and that is pessimism. You never make a fair evaluation of the situation, you always predict the worst. That is, by definition, pessimistic. You can call it realism, but you even admit that when things are going well, you don't have much to say. 

I had a comment typed out. But I deleted it. Just f'n block me and be done with it. You get pissy because we're going to suck. And instead of debating the situation at hand, you get personal because you know we're gonna suck. So, block me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I had a comment typed out. But I deleted it. Just f'n block me and be done with it. You get pissy because we're going to suck. And instead of debating the situation at hand, you get personal because you know we're gonna suck. So, block me. 

No, people get "pissy" because you have become the latest "we suck" champion. It's OK to have concerns, but you have gone above and beyond in your criticism. With all due respect you might want to step back and figure out why your so angry. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Definition of pessimist: a person who is inclined to expect poor outcomes : someone who is given to pessimism

Definition of realist: a person who recognizes what is real or possible in a particular situation : one who accepts and deals with things as they really are

I’d argue you are a bit of both. While you do seem to have a negative view,  to suggest that we could be worse is in the realm of possibility. However, all you can do is say something is possible and still remain a realist. The only way to say something will be and maintain realism is to be able to predict the future accurately.

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

None of the above, but thanks.

• Upvote 2

On 1/18/2020 at 12:58 AM, meangreenJW said:

Some of you guys really stretch on negative. Here's what I think. It's obvious Seth wants to bring some aspects of the Briles offense. From the timing, my guess is he looked at other options. Maybe Kendall? Maybe Josh Lebby (who was hired at Ole Miss), maybe others. At the end of the day, the best option was O Line coach from Tulsa (Phil Mongtgomery is still known as the best OC Baylor ever had) and Tate Wallis who was the receivers coach of the year in college football while at Baylor. Seth will probably call the offense until one of those guys or Mainord proves they are ready. 

As for what I'm expecting, I'm expecting UCF style offense. Josh Heupel is an air raid guy but hired Josh Lebby and integrated some Baylor stuff. With Seth and Josh being close, my best guess is Seth wants to do something similar.

As for the differences, I personally think Briles did run the ball more effectively than Air Raid. Always liked some the wider splits on the line, etc. Not sure how this looks early, but I can follow the logic and think the end product could be explosive.

Bingo! Jeff Lebby's influence at UCF was integral in their offensive performance when combined into Heupel's system. Tate Wallis has the same background (if anyone watched Argyle, they looked like Baylor circa 2014-2015) and Mike Bolesch comes from the same scheme. Should be a nice combination of Baylor + Seth's offense, not too unsimilar to UCF. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/22/2020 at 1:23 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

No, people get "pissy" because you have become the latest "we suck" champion.

I'll have no other man steal my title on this one!

Our season sucked because, the reality is, this season was a HUGE step back

Our season sucked because, the realism is, this was on par, or worse, than many Dodge/McCarney years

Our season sucked because our only real post season highlight so far was because we fired half the staff

No, the optimist says we got a whole bunch of new staff. The pessimist says they have probably the most disappointing set of credentials since dodge brought in a high school staff

The pessimist says we lost our best players and brought on no recruits. The Optimist says they are all diamonds in the rough.

The truth is, this is a rebuilding year. This was a bad year. Pessimistically, so far the hirings have been uninspiring. The recruits are not exactly inspiring a whole lot of confidence. Optimistically, Seth seem's to have a goal in mind.

I think this year is going to be a step back, and anyone drinking that there kool-aid should probably have another shot of it before season begins cause it's going to be an interesting ride

Don't lose sight of the fact, negative nancy or polly positive, we are all still watching. still bitching, and still drinking ourselves into a beautiful stupor and supporting the green

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I'll have no other man steal my title on this one!

Our season sucked because, the reality is, this season was a HUGE step back

Our season sucked because, the realism is, this was on par, or worse, than many Dodge/McCarney years

Our season sucked because our only real post season highlight so far was because we fired half the staff

No, the optimist says we got a whole bunch of new staff. The pessimist says they have probably the most disappointing set of credentials since dodge brought in a high school staff

The pessimist says we lost our best players and brought on no recruits. The Optimist says they are all diamonds in the rough.

The truth is, this is a rebuilding year. This was a bad year. Pessimistically, so far the hirings have been uninspiring. The recruits are not exactly inspiring a whole lot of confidence. Optimistically, Seth seem's to have a goal in mind.

I think this year is going to be a step back, and anyone drinking that there kool-aid should probably have another shot of it before season begins cause it's going to be an interesting ride

Don't lose sight of the fact, negative nancy or polly positive, we are all still watching. still bitching, and still drinking ourselves into a beautiful stupor and supporting the green

Yep. These football threads are always something! lol

• Upvote 1