Seth hires 2 coaches for offense

TheReal_jayD

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Color me underwhelmed.    Huge gamble for Seth coming off such a disappointing season.

But hey, welcome to North Texas Coach Wallis & Coach Bloesch!   You have your work cut out for you.

I agree, and I'll take it a step further. If Seth is setting up the offense so he can have new coaches to micromanage, why did we have to wait months to hire these two guys?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

I would hope coaches with their level of success and recognition could have been brought in as soon as we knew Reeder and Reffitt were out.

Personally, I think FAU is still out hiring us, but we will know once we take the field next season. Have fun down voting.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

Last time we hired a highschool coach it didn't exactly work out... I hope this time It does.

That should be qualified with "as a head coach".  And that high school coach has college football experience in a prolifically effective scheme.  Will it translate?? I have no idea, but I'm glad we didn't get a splash hire.  I feel like Reeder was supposed to be a splash hire and we saw how that turned out.   Seth just needs guys that are going to run and train his offense how he wants it to be run and trained.

That all being said, the offense is on Seth this season.  If it succeeds or flounders, we'll know who to blame.  I'm just glad we got a fresh perspective at oline because with the talent we have, that unit should have been better.

• Upvote 2

Seth strikes me as the type of guy who thrives on chemistry and struggles to confront difference of philosophy in his team. He looked so frustrated on the sidelines last year many times. I’m glad he appears to be hiring gentlemen he can lead and trust to execute his plan. 
It’s a completely new day in Denton. Kind of exciting even though the unknowns are significant.

GMG

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The last two recruiting classes are possibly our best two ever and what is your concern over these two coaches?  We were all raving over Patrick Cobbs being added last year and he had way less experience than these two.  Oh, and Cobbs was a fabulous hire.  You just like to look fort he worst.

Okie dokie. The only person that knows anything is father time. Let's wait, shall we? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

On 1/18/2020 at 12:58 AM, meangreenJW said:

Some of you guys really stretch on negative. Here's what I think. It's obvious Seth wants to bring some aspects of the Briles offense. From the timing, my guess is he looked at other options. Maybe Kendall? Maybe Josh Lebby (who was hired at Ole Miss), maybe others. At the end of the day, the best option was O Line coach from Tulsa (Phil Mongtgomery is still known as the best OC Baylor ever had) and Tate Wallis who was the receivers coach of the year in college football while at Baylor. Seth will probably call the offense until one of those guys or Mainord proves they are ready. 

As for what I'm expecting, I'm expecting UCF style offense. Josh Heupel is an air raid guy but hired Josh Lebby and integrated some Baylor stuff. With Seth and Josh being close, my best guess is Seth wants to do something similar.

As for the differences, I personally think Briles did run the ball more effectively than Air Raid. Always liked some the wider splits on the line, etc. Not sure how this looks early, but I can follow the logic and think the end product could be explosive.

Bingo*

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yes because if these hires don't lead to a conference championship this hires will be trash. And you can tell us you are always right. I have put it on my calendar. 

And these sophomores and freshmen, the majority of talent on this team, don’t all become all conference. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2