$28 Million Locker Room Renovation-Say what??

DeepGreen

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Another reason why these P5s aren’t anywhere near being equal to us in the G5. FBS division is absolutely ridiculous to include both groups.

Very true. This is one of the reasons I can't understand people that get upset when they talk about a G5 Championship. If anything the gap will continue to grow.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

We need to split off into another division like high school football . P5 would be D1, G5 would be D1a, and D1aa would remain the same.

I agree completely.

LSU just had 7 people announce they are leaving early for the NFL. This isn’t even counting seniors that will get drafted from their team.

We haven’t had anyone drafted in years. That alone should sort of tell you the difference in the playing field not being even, which doesn’t even touch base on the TV/conference money this NFL life programs get.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I do feel their is a missing game. I love the magical runs Boise and UCF can go on but after watching James Madison vs North Dakota State then Clemson LSU I feel there should be a G5 championship game or something Similar. I would have tuned in and been juiced to see Memphis vs Boise this year. Put it in a 60,000 seat destination stadium and then you have 3 cream de la Creme games with really good teams battling it out for a championship title. 

Now I went to the Memphis penn state game and Memphis brought more fans and were louder. They held their own. 

Slightly torn about this  because it would be the final split.   But Quality matchups rock.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

D1 schools could only schedule D1a schools out of conference, D1aa schools could only schedule D1a schools, but D1a programs could schedule both. This would eliminate schools like LSU playing  SE Louisiana. However North Texas could play both up and down, scheduling both ACC and Texas A&M. Of course this will never happen, but separation of P5 and G5 programs into different classifications might.

There's always going to be someone who spends the most, but I don't believe self-relegation to a lower level is the answer.  The reality of college football these days is there are only about 20 schools that will be "allowed" by the current powers that be to win the National Championship (it's been rotated among 14 schools in the last 25 years - two years had co-national champs).  There are 65 or so P5 schools, so that leaves 45+ of them on the outside looking in, just like everyone else in the FBS.  Football will institute a larger playoff eventually.  There's just too much potential money out there not to. Take the 10 conference champs + 6 at large bids and seed them into a 16-team playoff and let the games begin.  We need to be there when it happens, not in some lower division wondering how we missed the boat again. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

On 1/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, wardly said:

We need to split off into another division like high school football . P5 would be D1, G5 would be D1a, and D1aa would remain the same.

I strongly disagree.   I keep seeing this suggestion and I wonder if people remember the 1aa days.

No G5's have no realistic chance of winning a national championship; but at least there is a conceptual chance. 

If NT became a member of some type of official second division of the NCAA, I would expect plummeting attendance,  massive drop in contributions and an athletic program quickly declining. 

I remember all the old rhetoric about the virtues of being 1aa.  However, that decision almost killed NT athletes and NT is just recently recovering from that disaster.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

I am not suggesting that UNT drop back to 1aa, but to a new division above it and below 1a.  In my opinion we have no business being in the same classification as programs like Texas. Instead pf trying to set your average home attendance as a benchmark how about using athletic budgets, which is a true indicator as to what level of football you can afford to play. When the new conference t.v. contracts are revised in the next few years the haves will get more and have nots less. In athletics, just like business, the big fish eat the little fish.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I strongly disagree.   I keep seeing this suggestion and I wonder if people remember the 1aa days.

No G5's have no realistic chance of winning a national championship; but at least there is a conceptual chance. 

If NT became a member of some type of official second division of the NCAA, I would expect plummeting attendance,  massive drop in contributions and an athletic program quickly declining. 

I remember all the old rhetoric about the virtues of being 1aa.  However, that decision almost killed NT athletes and NT is just recently recovering from that disaster.

It was either drop down or drop the football program. The reality is that as a member of the Group of 5 we are in are in fact in a lower level of football.

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

It was either drop down or drop the football program. The reality is that as a member of the Group of 5 we are in are in fact in a lower level of football.

This.

Playing against other G5 programs isn’t what I-aa was at all. We were playing podunk schools when the SWC and the Big Eight were at their peaks. Those two conferences had 17 members. It’s already unloaded three dead weights and two others (Baylor and TCU) will most assuredly find themselves dropped, as well as others not names Texas, OU, or KU.

It doesn’t matter what division; wherever we are we need to consistently win most of the games. And that will lead to opportunities to move up. It is a travesty that this massive school in such a rich area can’t consistently win most of its games given the usual competition. The underperformance is SO old I can’t even explain why I even care at all anymore. Shameful effort by administration after administration. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

It doesn’t matter what division; wherever we are we need to consistently win most of the games. And that will lead to opportunities to move up. It is a travesty that this massive school in such a rich area can’t consistently win most of its games given the usual competition. The underperformance is SO old I can’t even explain why I even care at all anymore. Shameful effort by administration after administration. 

Case and point North Texas hadn’t won in Ruston in MBB since the Eisenhower administration. We got to be better then that moving forward...in all sports. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wardly said:

Where do you get that?  NT never even tried to fight the re-assignment to 1aa.  Others did and remained 1a.  

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This.

Playing against other G5 programs isn’t what I-aa was at all. We were playing podunk schools when the SWC and the Big Eight were at their peaks. Those two conferences had 17 members. It’s already unloaded three dead weights and two others (Baylor and TCU) will most assuredly find themselves dropped, as well as others not names Texas, OU, or KU.

Podunk schools unlike what, the great current G5 designated teams now has?  NT played their peers in 1aa, just has they are doing now.  A lot of those old Southland schools are now considered G5.   

I would not count on two of the most successful P5 programs in the country, Baylor and TCU dropping down to the G5 level.  

NT has chosen to invest heavily in athletes relative to their history.   NT has aspirations of moving up if there is ever an opportunity.   So setting back and being happy about their current status is not the plan and don't comprehend why any fan would want it to be. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Where do you get that?  NT never even tried to fight the re-assignment to 1aa.  Others did and remained 1a.  

NT didn’t try very hard at all.  As I recall, the requirement was to have a stadium that held 30K.  We didn’t, thus dropped to 1AA/FCS.  He the administration do the requirements necessary to stay 1A, UNT would have been in the original CUSA, then the AAC, along with Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulsa, Louisville, etc.  our old MVC pals.

30 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

NT didn’t try very hard at all.  As I recall, the requirement was to have a stadium that held 30K.  We didn’t, thus dropped to 1AA/FCS.  He the administration do the requirements necessary to stay 1A, UNT would have been in the original CUSA, then the AAC, along with Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulsa, Louisville, etc.  our old MVC pals.

Ummm, we added the aluminum endzone seats to Fouts bringing the capacity to 30,500 or did we do that to get back to 1A?  Getting old and the memory is distant.

Edited by UNTLifer

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Ummm, we added the aluminum endzone seats to Fouts bringing the capacity to 30,500 or did we do that to get back to 1A?  Getting old and the memory is distant.

My memory may not be much better than yours, but I’m pretty sure the end zone seats in Fouts were to get us back to D-1.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, NT93 said:

My memory may not be much better than yours, but I’m pretty sure the end zone seats in Fouts were to get us back to D-1.

I’m older than both of you, so basically my memory these days is sucking wind. We expanded Fouts to move back to D1. I think.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I’m older than both of you, so basically my memory these days is sucking wind. We expanded Fouts to move back to D1. I think.

Yes, and we did that so we could get the big paydays of being whored out to help fund athletics instead of institutionally funding it. We went from 1-2 money games a year to playing 5+ for years.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Regarding dropping to 1aa or dropping football, those were in fact our options. No one really fought to stay at 1a, we fought to save football. We had no money, and were lucky to even have a program. UTA dropped football about this time after building a new 9,000 seat stadium, which I believe we opened and I attended. Al Hurley was our President ,and while he did a lot for UNT athletics was not on his radar. The end zone seats were added to increase seating to 30,000 so we could move back up to 1a. A graduated donated $1 million to accomplish that. While its getting much better, our problem has always been graduates that are all mouth and no money. I believe I saw a graphic recently that listed us last in Texas in giving to athletics. At 77 my specific dates may be a little fuzzy but still close enough for government work.

Edited by wardly
spelling
  • Upvote 1

Just now, greenminer said:

We've played 5 money games in a single season? New news to me.

In the years from 1995 to about 2000, we had 5 conference games against Big West teams. While some were actual games in Denton or Irving as part of a series deal, we played some brutal OOC schedules in that timeframe.