Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
TheReal_jayD

Bodie finds new home.

Recommended Posts

I wish him well.  Seemed like a good guy. I think this year will be telling whether his offense is an FCS juggernaut or also fit for FBS.

  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two ways you can look at it:

1. Littrell is doing what Dodge couldnt do - Fire his friends. The culture at UNT has done a complete 180. This is New Denton. Littrell realized Reeder wasn't a good fit and he did what he had to do. 

2. Littrell flinched - Littrell fired his OC after one season. Reeder's offense scored 30.58 points, Harrell's 34.62. So he fires his new OC after one season and after scoring basically only a field goal less than the season before. But Why? My theory is that Littrell realizes he's losing steam nationally a can not afford another losing season. Which ultimately means he's looking to get out of here at some point. This may be obvious to some, but we have some die-hards on here who believe Littrell can do no wrong and that he's going to retire at North Texas.

9 wins and a bowl game victory and I think Littrell is gone. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, agw0038 said:

Two ways you can look at it:

1. Littrell is doing what Dodge couldnt do - Fire his friends. The culture at UNT has done a complete 180. This is New Denton. Littrell realized Reeder wasn't a good fit and he did what he had to do. 

2. Littrell flinched - Littrell fired his OC after one season. Reeder's offense scored 30.58 points, Harrell's 34.62. So he fires his new OC after one season and after scoring basically only a field goal less than the season before. But Why? My theory is that Littrell realizes he's losing steam nationally a can not afford another losing season. Which ultimately means he's looking to get out of here at some point. This may be obvious to some, but we have some die-hards on here who believe Littrell can do no wrong and that he's going to retire at North Texas.

9 wins and a bowl game victory and I think Littrell is gone. 

So he is never leaving?

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RiseUNT said:

So he is never leaving?

lol, quite the opposite. I think he's more motivated now, then his first year because he's knows how much money he missed out on. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Z said:

I have a feeling that Littrell will be doing the play calling next season...

This is my take.  He calls the plays acting as his own OC and hires a true QB coach to develop the young talent we have at that position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

But yet we are still searching for his replacement. But hey SMU hired Lincoln's brother. 

Good for him, hopefully the Utah St coach unleashes  him to call his style of plays. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, agw0038 said:

My theory is that Littrell realizes he's losing steam nationally a can not afford another losing season. Which ultimately means he's looking to get out of here at some point.

So coaches that are happy where they are and are not looking for a change don't mind a few losing seasons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reeder had some good concepts. Ultimately I think they waited too long to adjust the play-calling to the inexperience on offense.

Game-planning I felt improved. They attacked opposing defenses' weaknesses well, even if poor execution limited exploits.

But in the end

  1. Took too long for the offense to get a handle on the new scheme, even if some passing concepts carried over
  2. Defenses picked up on it quickly in game, and we didn't adjust. Eg, too many screens, RB passes early on in the season, reducing yards per play
  3. Not enough vertical passing until later in the season which could be due to
  4. Too much youth and inexperience on the outside with Guyton and Bussey gone.
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You see assistants move from one place to another and do well sometimes and  then fall flat at others. I have always believed that they don't forget how to coach, rather at time just don't click with those around them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, agw0038 said:

Two ways you can look at it:

1. Littrell is doing what Dodge couldnt do - Fire his friends. The culture at UNT has done a complete 180. This is New Denton. Littrell realized Reeder wasn't a good fit and he did what he had to do. 

2. Littrell flinched - Littrell fired his OC after one season. Reeder's offense scored 30.58 points, Harrell's 34.62. So he fires his new OC after one season and after scoring basically only a field goal less than the season before. But Why? My theory is that Littrell realizes he's losing steam nationally a can not afford another losing season. Which ultimately means he's looking to get out of here at some point. This may be obvious to some, but we have some die-hards on here who believe Littrell can do no wrong and that he's going to retire at North Texas.

9 wins and a bowl game victory and I think Littrell is gone. 

Where exactly do you see 9 wins coming from in 2020? I am praying we can get to 5...

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't mind going after Rob Sale, the OC for ULL.

They've been tearing it up the last few years. Billy Napier is now what Littrell was before this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reeder must have managed to convince USUs HC that the problem was SL. Maybe that is true, hard to say with certainty. Lets hope the truth is that Reeder interviews a lot better than he coaches.

The fact that SL has still not hired any line coaches nor an OC makes me nervous; and has me wondering if he dinged hie previously stellar reputation in coaches circles a bit this season, and if it may potentially not just be the results of the season.

If SL were to call plays himself while being on the sideline this next season this will either go stellar (think good OC years at UNC) or be more of the same as last season. It would have me nervous though, considering how the last season ended.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, outoftown said:

If SL were to call plays himself while being on the sideline this next season this will either go stellar (think good OC years at UNC) or be more of the same as last season. It would have me nervous though, considering how the last season ended.

That's a bold prediction, either stellar or so-so.

Vito mentioned in an article that although it appears we are supposedly looking for line coaches because it has been rumored Yellock and Langston are gone, North Texas has also not officially announced their departures.

  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Reeder must have managed to convince USUs HC that the problem was SL. Maybe that is true, hard to say with certainty. Lets hope the truth is that Reeder interviews a lot better than he coaches.

The fact that SL has still not hired any line coaches nor an OC makes me nervous; and has me wondering if he dinged hie previously stellar reputation in coaches circles a bit this season, and if it may potentially not just be the results of the season.

If SL were to call plays himself while being on the sideline this next season this will either go stellar (think good OC years at UNC) or be more of the same as last season. It would have me nervous though, considering how the last season ended.

Or they looked at the film from this season and saw our potential All-American QB that had done well previously running for his life for most of the season and realized it wasn't the coaching but the lack of OL talent that made it impossible to have a consistent offense.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, meaniegreenie said:

Or they looked at the film from this season and saw our potential All-American QB that had done well previously running for his life for most of the season and realized it wasn't the coaching but the lack of OL talent that made it impossible to have a consistent offense.

So perhaps they agreed on the basic philosophy. Just because a coach is not successful in one place does not mean he will not succeed in another. Coach O at LSU is a great example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So perhaps they agreed on the basic philosophy. Just because a coach is not successful in one place does not mean he will not succeed in another. Coach O at LSU is a great example. 

Sure. Sometimes its just the conditions or a bad fit.

That said, coach O did not exactly become a HC the next season after his failed first HC stint again. Took quite some time to mature into the wiser man he is now. Reeder is getting the exact same job right away.

Edited by outoftown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.