Bodie finds new home.

TheReal_jayD

Two ways you can look at it:

1. Littrell is doing what Dodge couldnt do - Fire his friends. The culture at UNT has done a complete 180. This is New Denton. Littrell realized Reeder wasn't a good fit and he did what he had to do. 

2. Littrell flinched - Littrell fired his OC after one season. Reeder's offense scored 30.58 points, Harrell's 34.62. So he fires his new OC after one season and after scoring basically only a field goal less than the season before. But Why? My theory is that Littrell realizes he's losing steam nationally a can not afford another losing season. Which ultimately means he's looking to get out of here at some point. This may be obvious to some, but we have some die-hards on here who believe Littrell can do no wrong and that he's going to retire at North Texas.

9 wins and a bowl game victory and I think Littrell is gone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Just now, agw0038 said:

1. Littrell is doing what Dodge couldnt do - Fire his friends. The culture at UNT has done a complete 180. This is New Denton. Littrell realized Reeder wasn't a good fit and he did what he had to do. 

2. Littrell flinched - Littrell fired his OC after one season. Reeder's offense scored 30.58 points, Harrell's 34.62. So he fires his new OC after one season and after scoring basically only a field goal less than the season before. But Why? My theory is that Littrell realizes he's losing steam nationally a can not afford another losing season. Which ultimately means he's looking to get out of here at some point. This may be obvious to some, but we have some die-hards on here who believe Littrell can do no wrong and that he's going to retire at North Texas.

So he is never leaving?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

I have a feeling that Littrell will be doing the play calling next season...

This is my take.  He calls the plays acting as his own OC and hires a true QB coach to develop the young talent we have at that position.

12 hours ago, agw0038 said:

My theory is that Littrell realizes he's losing steam nationally a can not afford another losing season. Which ultimately means he's looking to get out of here at some point.

So coaches that are happy where they are and are not looking for a change don't mind a few losing seasons?

Reeder had some good concepts. Ultimately I think they waited too long to adjust the play-calling to the inexperience on offense.

Game-planning I felt improved. They attacked opposing defenses' weaknesses well, even if poor execution limited exploits.

But in the end

1. Took too long for the offense to get a handle on the new scheme, even if some passing concepts carried over
  2. Defenses picked up on it quickly in game, and we didn't adjust. Eg, too many screens, RB passes early on in the season, reducing yards per play
  3. Not enough vertical passing until later in the season which could be due to
  4. Too much youth and inexperience on the outside with Guyton and Bussey gone.
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, agw0038 said:

Where exactly do you see 9 wins coming from in 2020? I am praying we can get to 5...

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Reeder must have managed to convince USUs HC that the problem was SL. Maybe that is true, hard to say with certainty. Lets hope the truth is that Reeder interviews a lot better than he coaches.

The fact that SL has still not hired any line coaches nor an OC makes me nervous; and has me wondering if he dinged hie previously stellar reputation in coaches circles a bit this season, and if it may potentially not just be the results of the season.

If SL were to call plays himself while being on the sideline this next season this will either go stellar (think good OC years at UNC) or be more of the same as last season. It would have me nervous though, considering how the last season ended.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

If SL were to call plays himself while being on the sideline this next season this will either go stellar (think good OC years at UNC) or be more of the same as last season. It would have me nervous though, considering how the last season ended.

That's a bold prediction, either stellar or so-so.

Vito mentioned in an article that although it appears we are supposedly looking for line coaches because it has been rumored Yellock and Langston are gone, North Texas has also not officially announced their departures.

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Reeder must have managed to convince USUs HC that the problem was SL. Maybe that is true, hard to say with certainty. Lets hope the truth is that Reeder interviews a lot better than he coaches.

The fact that SL has still not hired any line coaches nor an OC makes me nervous; and has me wondering if he dinged hie previously stellar reputation in coaches circles a bit this season, and if it may potentially not just be the results of the season.

Or they looked at the film from this season and saw our potential All-American QB that had done well previously running for his life for most of the season and realized it wasn't the coaching but the lack of OL talent that made it impossible to have a consistent offense.

• Upvote 2

Just now, meaniegreenie said:

Or they looked at the film from this season and saw our potential All-American QB that had done well previously running for his life for most of the season and realized it wasn't the coaching but the lack of OL talent that made it impossible to have a consistent offense.

So perhaps they agreed on the basic philosophy. Just because a coach is not successful in one place does not mean he will not succeed in another. Coach O at LSU is a great example. 

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So perhaps they agreed on the basic philosophy. Just because a coach is not successful in one place does not mean he will not succeed in another. Coach O at LSU is a great example. 

Sure. Sometimes its just the conditions or a bad fit.

That said, coach O did not exactly become a HC the next season after his failed first HC stint again. Took quite some time to mature into the wiser man he is now. Reeder is getting the exact same job right away.

Edited by outoftown