Art Briles Gets D1 HC Job (Report) UPDATE: Not so much

BillySee58

Well somebody was eventually gonna give him a chance. If the AD at Missouri State was considering Petrino as well as him , then it is probably fair to say he cares about winning more than about his programs reputation. I guess I am just glad that Briles chance at redemption comes at the FCS and not the FBS level.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

Somebody was going to do it. It is a high risk, high reward situation, similar to Todd Dodge but a different type of risk than Dodge. As an AD, I would’ve taken the same risk because nobody looks positively on you for being a 3-9 squeaky clean program.

The thing about Briles and the reason I would’ve taken the risk as an AD is because is almost untouchable because so many are scared what the protesters would say. That sort of thing will pass with time. The beauty of bringing in Briles is that you have ALL the leverage. All he wants to do is coach at the FBS level and nobody wants to give him the opportunity. You give him a base contract of about $250k with incentives for winning a bowl or conference championship. You write in no buyout if we fire him for ANY reason and him a $10M flat buyout if he leaves us for another program. With the savings on HC salary you have dedicate support staff to oversee every aspect of coach/player life to prevent even the perception of another Baylor going on. I would bet that Briles would be one of the safest coaches in all of football if given the chance for the simple fact that he knows he could lose everything (as he lost everything already) if something happened on his watch as it did at Baylor.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

makes me wonder if Briles was the pick and the AD got tons of flack from other school admins, now Petrino is no saint, but as long they keep the blonde GA's and motorcycles away from him, he should be fine. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2