FAU (1/11/20)

UNTLifer

17 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Great game.

Not the worst attendance I've seen, but I assume the students aren't back? There were like 7 kids in the student section.

I think it was reported to be 2300

The FIU and FAU games may just be the best back to back games I have seen the Mean Green play in some time.  The focus and intensity was evident from the start of both games.  The way the team is playing defense, and if they can keep it up, could make UNT a contender for the conference crown.  And, just as a side note...very proud and pleased at the was Rose Smart is playing off the bench. Was not sure if he could be a "bench player", but he seems to have accepted that role and , as a senior, has decided to do whatever it takes to help the team win. I have seen him "pass" on shot opportunities that last season and before he would have just jacked up...not this season.  If he has an open shot...he will take it, but if not, he is looking to pass to an open man. Big change and really excited to watch him play...adding Gau was really a big addition for the team. His presence helps Zach a great deal and, interestingly enough, Gau can shoot from three range as well as under the basket...not that I want to see him taking a lot of three's mind you.

Anyway, great two game home stand for the Mean Green.  Fun to watch. 

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Would love to know what y'all think was the biggest single offseason move/change to benefit this team.

Somebody new in the roster/staff? A schematic or philosophical shift?

I don’t know that there’s one in particular other than just that this is a more talented team. Mccasland identified 4 transfers (Reese, Hamlet, Geu, and Bell), he recruited them hard, got them on visits, and sealed the deal. I think even he may have been a bit surprised to land all 4, which is why they took some time to announce Bell and make sure an extra roster spot was cleared up for him (ended up being Tikhonenko).

All 4 of those guys are just good ball players and 3 of them can hit 3s while the other one is Geu who brings us so much everywhere else. In our 8-man rotation we just have so much more shooting than we have under Mccasland and defense has never been an issue.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t know that there’s one in particular other than just that this is a more talented team. Mccasland identified 4 transfers (Reese, Hamlet, Geu, and Bell), he recruited them hard, got them on visits, and sealed the deal. I think even he may have been a bit surprised to land all 4, which is why they took some time to announce Bell and make sure an extra roster spot was cleared up for him (ended up being Tikhonenko).

All 4 of those guys are just good ball players and 3 of them can hit 3s while the other one is Geu who brings us so much everywhere else. In our 8-man rotation we just have so much more shooting than we have under Mccasland and defense has never been an issue.

Just listened to the Jan 5 edition of Brune's Breakdown pod.  They have a segment talking about how we catered to Ryan so much last season, and his departure + the new talent has really allowed us to open up offensively.  Ryan was so much run-run-run, that we apparently were limited in our half court game?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Just listened to the Jan 5 edition of Brune's Breakdown pod.  They have a segment talking about how we catered to Ryan so much last season, and his departure + the new talent has really allowed us to open up offensively.  Ryan was so much run-run-run, that we apparently were limited in our half court game?

The biggest thing with Hamlet over Ryan is Hamlet can score with the ball in his hands in the paint, in the mid-range, and from 3. Ryan was pretty much just able to score off the dribble in the paint. He could hit a catch-and-shoot three okay, but not as the ballhandler. Ryan was great, but he wasn’t complicated to defend. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Athletic with length!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

The biggest thing with Hamlet over Ryan is Hamlet can score with the ball in his hands in the paint, in the mid-range, and from 3. Ryan was pretty much just able to score off the dribble in the paint. He could hit a catch-and-shoot three okay, but not as the ballhandler. Ryan was great, but he wasn’t complicated to defend. 

It was Ryan's FT shooting that drove us nuts.  Ryan is still .553 (26-47) at the FTL this year (his 2-7 against UTA kind of skewed the numbers) with Hamlet shooting FTs at a .857 clip (48-56).

• Upvote 2

I’ve been traveling but watching this team grow from a distance. After the UTA game which was the one I got to see I felt we were trending in the  right direction. Now I feel like our stout non conference slate has prepared us well. Nothing would be finer than to see a sea of Green in Frisco as we make a deep run for The crown.  

Keep it rolling MG! 

GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

21 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Gau can shoot from three range as well as under the basket...not that I want to see him taking a lot of three's mind you.

Geu is 2 of 21 from behind the arc so I'd prefer he pass off the ball to a better 3-point shooter. If anything, I'd rather he take a mid-range shot since he is getting more and more attention around the rim.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Geu is 2 of 21 from behind the arc so I'd prefer he pass off the ball to a better 3-point shooter. If anything, I'd rather he take a mid-range shot since he is getting more and more attention around the rim.

Yes, agree, thus my comment about not wanting to see him do it very often...but, even Coach McCasland at the first radio show mentioned his ability to shoot outside.