Seth Littrell expected to be among candidates for WSU job

Harry

I didn't believe coach Rhule would leave Baylor, but there are greener pastures in the world of college football than UNT. That's just a reality. You can't expect someone who works for a living not to be interest or expected not to advance his/her career.

Think about your own careers!!! You can't expect SL or anyone else for not advancing there career. Or, maybe some on this board just don't know how to encourge family, friends, or maybe yourself to advance your own career or station in life.

At least we don't live in a country like China were someone else determines what our career path(s) in life will be.

Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, tmjerm said:

I fully expect each of you to never consider another job even if they offer you better pay.  

I'd also expect them to make sure their bosses and co-workers are always updated of their status whenever there's any kind of scuttlebutt about them looking for other jobs, or other companies reaching out to them for openings.

• Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I have heard him says he likes it here but have never heard him say “I’m not interviewing for any other job”

I can’t blame him if he were to run off for more cash in prestige but it always puts the program in a tenuous situation.

Ideally we would hire a successful coach that wanted to be here more than anywhere else for one of two reason, one, an alumnus ( I can’t think of any qualified at this point), or two, someone we hire where WE have ALL of the leverage.

So any time an there's a coaching vacancy out there, and some random sports outlet happens to throw Littrell out there as a possibility, he needs to call a press conference to announce that he's not interviewing for that job?  
And what if he does interview?  Is he supposed to be transparent with the world about that?

For the bolded point... we're just not there yet, even for an alumnus.  There's no way around it.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Agree 100!! Either make a commitment by withdrawing your name for consideration for current job openings and “honor” your word by winning Conference Championships and Bowl games at North Texas first or resign. You have become the biggest distraction facing our football program’s success. Without GH and the good fortune of landing Fine it’s very doubtful you would have had the two 9 win seasons. 

Show some integrity by publicly withdrawing your name for consideration for any job openings  and publicly making a commitment to North Texas or resign. Enough!!!

So now Seth has to address every single time his name is wrote in a random article about POSSIBLE candidates?? Seems extreme to me. 

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So any time an there's a coaching vacancy out there, and some random sports outlet happens to throw Littrell out there as a possibility, he needs to call a press conference to announce that he's not interviewing for that job?  
And what if he does interview?  Is he supposed to be transparent with the world about that?

For the bolded point... we're just not there yet, even for an alumnus.  There's no way around it.

I agree with you and don’t feel that is realistic. My suggestion was hypothetical after Seth were to move on.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

I agree with you and don’t feel that is realistic. My suggestion was hypothetical after Seth were to move on.

I think our best case scenario (outside of Littrell just happening to be Bobby Bowden 2.0) would be the Boise model, where you're successful for so long that the job is seen by every coach as a good one to have whether you want to stay and keep winning, or move up.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think our best case scenario (outside of Littrell just happening to be Bobby Bowden 2.0) would be the Boise model, where you're successful for so long that the job is seen by every coach as a good one to have whether you want to stay and keep winning, or move up.

I would be happy with that.

• Upvote 1

Arkansas St and Boise St sure weren't hurt by being a revolving door for up and coming coaches during the past decade.  Both of those schools had multiple years (in a row) where they had HEAD coaches poached by P5s.

It's definitely a roller coaster ride for your emotions if you allow yourself to get attached to one coach, but this kind of stuff is NOT bad for our program.

A few years ago UNT was viewed as a coaching graveyard.  Now we have a guy here who has built up his reputation by helping us win.  So the narrative evolved to 'Seth has won at a place that has historically not'.  The obvious next evolution is for him to move on and for UNT to hire that next up and comer who also wins here.  At that point the perception changes to either UNT has made two good hires in a row and/or it maybe isn't as hard to win there as we thought....

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

If you truly believe all the stuff that you just posted, then why do you want us to be stuck with him?

All I have posted is that in my opinion it would be hard for a P5 program to overlook last year's disaster . I don't recall any mention of wanting UNT to be stuck with him.Perhaps that's wishful thinking on your part.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd also expect them to make sure their bosses and co-workers are always updated of their status whenever there's any kind of scuttlebutt about them looking for other jobs, or other companies reaching out to them for openings.

My first job after NT I was called into my bosses office and "questioned" since she heard that I was getting a call from a recruiter (he initiated the call). I was given the "we need to be dedicated" speech. A week later she pulled everyone together and announced she was leaving for another opportunity.  Sorry, but in very rare cases does the "truth" come out on who is looking. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

My first job after NT I was called into my bosses office and "questioned" since she heard that I was getting a call from a recruiter (he initiated the call). I was given the "we need to be dedicated" speech. A week later she pulled everyone together and announced she was leaving for another opportunity.  Sorry, but in very rare cases does the "truth" come out on who is looking. 

hehe... zackly.

• Haha 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

I would have told that women:

Related image

• Haha 5
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes. Currently we are not that good of a job. Period. 

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Yes. Currently we are not that good of a job. Period. 

I think we can be a good job, but as you said, currently, the overall view of the college football world  is that this place can’t be a sustained winner because it’s never really happened. 

In a weird way, I feel like SL probably would do better at another school, as his wandering eye finally caught up to him this past season. Since the KState job was his and then it wasn’t, we have been terrible. It makes me wonder if he can really turn it around here. And it does make me wonder if we will look back on this all and see that our program probably would’ve been better off had he left and we had to hire someone else to keep the train rolling. I hope I’m wrong but I really fear a scenario where we just look back at those two 9-win teams in the same way we look back at the three Dickey years where we had winning seasons—they were great, but really aberrations to the norm of his overall tenure.

• Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, wardly said:

All I have posted is that in my opinion it would be hard for a P5 program to overlook last year's disaster . I don't recall any mention of wanting UNT to be stuck with him.Perhaps that's wishful thinking on your part.

No perhaps to it. I've clearly stated my opinion/assessment of SL's bottom line regarding his record........pretty much smoke and mirrors. Lots of yardage gained passing in a gimmicky system (but only when all the star receivers are healthy), and getting curb stomped in championship games and bowl games. 

• Thanks 1