Seth Littrell expected to be among candidates for WSU job

Harry

Current job: Head Coach of North Texas Mean Green

Why he’d be a candidate at WSU: Considered a future Power 5 head coach by many, in 2016 Littrell was hired at North Texas after a 1-11 season. He implemented the Air Raid in Denton (along with another potential WSU hire, Graham Harrell) and immediately improved UNT, winning five games his first year, and nine in each of his second and third. The 2017 season included a division title. As an aside, he also played under Mike Leach when Leach was the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma.

Degree of likelihood he gets hired: Moderately likely. Littrell seems like a decent fit. He’ll continue the Air Raid philosophy, and he’s coming from a location that doesn’t have a huge amount of football success outside of his tenure. A drawback may be his lack of ties to the West Coast. Outside of a stint at North Carolina, his coaching career has been in the Midwest and Southwest. He’s going to be a Power 5 head coach at some point, most likely. We’ll see if this is the time.

Read more:https://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2020/1/9/21058804/alex-grinch-wsu-cougars-seth-littrell-bryan-harsin-joe-moorhead-graham-harrell-nick-rolovich

Seth Littrell, Head Coach, North Texas

Littrell is another coach with ties to Leach that could pop up in this search. The Oklahoma native played under Leach at Oklahoma (1999) and later coached with him at Texas Tech from 2005-08. Littrell worked as an assistant at Arizona (2009-11), Indiana (2012-13) and North Carolina (2014-15) before taking over as the head coach in Denton. North Texas is 27-25 under Littrell’s watch and has three bowl appearances over four years. The Mean Green won the 2017 Conference USA West Division title.

read more: 

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/washington-state-football-10-coaching-candidates-replace-mike-leach

Seth Littrell

Current job: Head coach, North Texas

Why it makes sense: The second of three Air Raid disciples on this list, Littrell is relatively young at 41 years old and has a solid understanding of the offensive gospel that’s been preached in Pullman over the past eight seasons. Littrell played running back for Leach at Oklahoma and coached the position at Texas Tech from 2005 to ’08. His North Texas teams won 23 games from 2016 to ’18 before dropping to 4-8 this past season.

Likeliness: 3. If Chun is targeting someone with Air Raid and head coaching backgrounds, Littrell would fit like a glove. He developed Mason Fine, who threw for 12,237 yards and 91 touchdowns in four seasons at North Texas.

read more: 

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jan/09/ten-potential-coaching-candidates-to-replace-mike-/

• Harry featured this topic

Seth comment I am here to build a winner.  My wife and family like living in the area until the next coaching job opens up. If he wants out of here so bad why not resign and spend his time interviewing full time.  How much commitment can you have to a program when you are out seeking employment elsewhere.   

Growing tried of the SL watch.

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

31 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Seth comment I am here to build a winner.  My wife and family like living in the area until the next coaching job opens up. If he wants out of here so bad why not resign and spend his time interviewing full time.  How much commitment can you have to a program when you are out seeking employment elsewhere.   

Growing tried of the SL watch.

Agree 100!! Either make a commitment by withdrawing your name for consideration for current job openings and “honor” your word by winning Conference Championships and Bowl games at North Texas first or resign. You have become the biggest distraction facing our football program’s success. Without GH and the good fortune of landing Fine it’s very doubtful you would have had the two 9 win seasons. 

Show some integrity by publicly withdrawing your name for consideration for any job openings  and publicly making a commitment to North Texas or resign. Enough!!!

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

28 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Agree 100!! Either make a commitment by withdrawing your name for consideration for current job openings and “honor” your word by winning Conference Championships and Bowl games at North Texas first or resign. You have become the biggest distraction facing our football program’s success. Without GH and the good fortune of landing Fine it’s very doubtful you would have had the two 9 win seasons. 

Show some integrity by publicly withdrawing your name for consideration for any job openings  and publicly making a commitment to North Texas or resign. Enough!!!

Wow...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

Wow, I think people just want to run Seth off.. I do not think he has done anything wrong.  He is not putting his name out there.  So far these are journalist publishing there thoughts.  If it comes out that he is interviewing, or such  he should make a decision and move forward either way.  But until then give him a break and Go Mean Green...

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

Guess some get butt hurt because some MG fans get tired of this BS every year. If you don't think this yearly trip down this road doesn't affect this program..take off those rose colored glasses. SL could publicly announce he's here till he accomplishes his original mission and calm his agent down.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 5

First, I'd like to see Seth come out and simply say, "I'm committed to making North Texas a winner.  I like it here in Denton and I'm not interviewing for any other job."  I think this voval commitment would do wonders for his reputation with high school  coaches.

Second, as Wardly pointed out, he went 4-8 after everyone expected him to win the west.

And thirdly, I'm anxious to see how Seth does without a magician at QB.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

First, I'd like to see Seth come out and simply say, "I'm committed to making North Texas a winner.  I like it here in Denton and I'm not interviewing for any other job."  I think this voval commitment would do wonders for his reputation with high school  coaches.

Second, as Wardly pointed out, he went 4-8 after everyone expected him to win the west.

And thirdly, I'm anxious to see how Seth does without a magician at QB.

Hasn't he already publicly repeated this ad-nauseum?  I feel like I've heard him say this more times than "at the end of the day", "all 3 phases", or "get after their a**es".

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hasn't he already publicly repeated this ad-nauseum?  I feel like I've heard him say this more times than "at the end of the day", "all 3 phases", or "get after their a**es".

I have heard him says he likes it here but have never heard him say “I’m not interviewing for any other job”

I can’t blame him if he were to run off for more cash in prestige but it always puts the program in a tenuous situation.

Ideally we would hire a successful coach that wanted to be here more than anywhere else for one of two reason, one, an alumnus ( I can’t think of any qualified at this point), or two, someone we hire where WE have ALL of the leverage.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Ideally we would hire a successful coach that wanted to be here more than anywhere else for one of two reason, one, an alumnus ( I can’t think of any qualified at this point), or two, someone we hire where WE have ALL of the leverage.

Let's be honest. Outside of a handful of programs in the country this is a pipe dream. Career progression is real for you, for me, and for coaches.

I honestly think it would be refreshing for a coach to leave for a bigger, better job vs getting canned for losing.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 1