Mike Leach

TheColonyEagle

Just now, Coffee and TV said:

They won't turn into world beaters overnight but with his resume I can totally see them pulling off some good upsets against the SEC West in the next couple of years. Anything that gets that division and conference more parody is good in my book. 

I know Leach is a funny guy... but I assume you meant parity right? 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’ll guess he finishes no higher than 5th?  Maybe 4th?

Rick

in the West Division. I like Leach but his gameplan of all offense and no defense will not get far in SEC. They might beat Mizzou and that is it. UA is on the rise, Ole Miss is coming back, A&M is there

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, untbowler said:

in the West Division. I like Leach but his gameplan of all offense and no defense will not get far in SEC. They might beat Mizzou and that is it. UA is on the rise, Ole Miss is coming back, A&M is there

You realize just about every SEC team gave up +40 points in a lot of games. LSU has no Defense, BAMA’s defense was way off. Aggies did OK, but couldn’t score.  Leach might do rather well. He will get a lot of 4 and 5 star skill players for sure to light it up. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Gus Malzahn seems to be doing just fine as an offensive-minded coach in the SEC West, and has a National Title to show for it.  
Dabo Swinney hasn't lost in 2 years as an offensive-minded coach.

This tired argument that Spread Offense coaches can't win is just stupid.

That said, he needs to identify a very good defensive coordinator, that's for certain.

What piques my interest on this hire is that Miss St.'s program is NOTORIOUSLY dirty recruiting-wise, and has been for a very long time.
Leach doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will deal with that very well.  I wonder what recruiting will look like there under his watch.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Gus Malzahn seems to be doing just fine as an offensive-minded coach in the SEC West, and has a National Title to show for it.  
Dabo Swinney hasn't lost in 2 years as an offensive-minded coach.

This tired argument that Spread Offense coaches can't win is just stupid.

That said, he needs to identify a very good defensive coordinator, that's for certain.

What piques my interest on this hire is that Miss St.'s program is NOTORIOUSLY dirty recruiting-wise, and has been for a very long time.
Leach doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will deal with that very well.  I wonder what recruiting will look like there under his watch.

there is the problem Leach has never had a good defense. Sure light it up and I am sure the fans will love putting up 50+ pts a game yet lose and go 8/4 tops each year. 

Auburn and Clemson both have much better defenses as does Alabama as always. 

20 minutes ago, untbowler said:

there is the problem Leach has never had a good defense. Sure light it up and I am sure the fans will love putting up 50+ pts a game yet lose and go 8/4 tops each year. 

Auburn and Clemson both have much better defenses as does Alabama as always. 

Who did SL learn under again? 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

It is hard to say UA is on the rise before they play a game; unless you think they could be no worse.

• Upvote 2

On 1/9/2020 at 3:02 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

You realize just about every SEC team gave up +40 points in a lot of games. LSU has no Defense, BAMA’s defense was way off. Aggies did OK, but couldn’t score.  Leach might do rather well. He will get a lot of 4 and 5 star skill players for sure to light it up. 

8 of the 14 SEC teams gave up 40 points in a game once or not at all.

Also, 8 of the 14 SEC defenses are ranked in the top 30 in “Scoring Defense”.

Wazzu under Leach just in the past two seasons alone scored 34 points or more and still lost, including one game in which they scored 63.  

The SEC is a defense dominant league and on paper looks like dangerous waters ahead for the pirate.  And sure, like always he’ll win some games, sell tickets, run up the score on the bottom feeders and get some people excited but he won’t likely compete for the conference unless he adjusts his philosophy.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick