Austin Aune

DeepGreen

21 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

For me with Kuehne, it’s all about arm strength. I didn’t see a lot of it in his high school film. A huge chunk of his completions were over the middle of the field and to the side he was scrambling. He has to be able to complete passes to the outside from the pocket. 

If he is showing adequate arm strength and ability to complete passes on the boundaries, he could jump into the mix too. 

Haven't seen a pocket at UNT for several years now.  So it sounds like you've seen all you need to see and he's a shoo-in for the starting job.  Haha

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think Bean has the higher ceiling but I definitely think Austin has the the higher floor. With Jason speed though it's just such a dynamic factor hopefully he can get the fluid part figured out.

Do you think Bean has a higher ceiling as a passer, or just the fact that he brings a better running threat to the table?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Do you think Bean has a higher ceiling as a passer, or just the fact that he brings a better running threat to the table?

with wheels like Bean he doesnt have to be a lights out passer to be an all conference player. he is such a threat to take it to the house on any play the defense cant rush 3 and drop 8 like they did on fine at times

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

with wheels like Bean he doesnt have to be a lights out passer to be an all conference player. he is such a threat to take it to the house on any play the defense cant rush 3 and drop 8 like they did on fine at times

He definitely has good wheels . . . but I'm skeptical on how high his ceiling is.  He certainly does not pose a threat to break tackles like Tim Tebow or even J'Mar Smith.  He throws a pretty looking ball, tight spiral and all, but it seems 1 out of 4 of his passes is a terrible miss or a terrible decision.

I think he will probably win the starting position by default, and I'll be cheering on his development.  But he hasn't shown me nearly as much as Mason Fine had this many snaps into his college career.

• Upvote 2

@TheReal_jayD, out of curiousity, how much faster is Bean than Aune? Not in the 100m but in something realistic to football, like a 20 or 40 yard dash? It seems to me that they are both considerably faster than Fine ever was. Aune looks at the worst, just as fast as Shanbour was and he was a much better running threat than Mason.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

@TheReal_jayD, out of curiousity, how much faster is Bean than Aune? Not in the 100m but in something realistic to football, like a 20 or 40 yard dash? It seems to me that they are both considerably faster than Fine ever was. Aune looks at the worst, just as fast as Shanbour was and he was a much better running threat than Mason.

I have heard bean is in the tops as fastest on the team as top 1 or two

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

I have heard bean is in the tops as fastest on the team as top 1 or two

Yes but as far as a quarterback goes, is a 4.2 or 4.3 vs a 4.6 40 yard dash worth measurably reduced accuracy, arm strength, and the ability to read a defense?

I get wanting 4.2 speed out of a wide receiver but straight line speed isn't as important for a quarterback as agility and the ability to move laterally. Bean reminds me more of the RG3/Vince Young mold where they can go if they get loose but they don't get out of trouble as often as someone with the ability to juke like a Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Yes but as far as a quarterback goes, is a 4.2 or 4.3 vs a 4.6 40 yard dash worth measurably reduced accuracy, arm strength, and the ability to read a defense?

I get wanting 4.2 speed out of a wide receiver but straight line speed isn't as important for a quarterback as agility and the ability to move laterally. Bean reminds me more of the RG3/Vince Young mold where they can go if they get loose but they don't get out of trouble as often as someone with the ability to juke like a Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson.

Dont get me wrong i think Aune can be great as well. Looks like Bean and Aune will be the two choses when we roll into camp. Will be fun to watch

• Upvote 2

Watching some of the bowl games, I would love to see a variation to our RPO's with two backs, one on each side of the QB.  You can fake the dive and then run the option with the remaining back.  For example, Bean is your QB with Siggers to one side and Torrey to the other.  Depending on the read, he fakes the dive/off tackle to one and then runs the option with the remaining back.

12 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Pretty skeptical of this.  We have playmakers all over the field and I would be super hesitant to put a guy on the field that can't get them the ball because he's too happy on his feet.

Don't need a rocket arm, but a guy that can go through the reads, manipulate a defense and place the ball at the right time and place...is that asking too much?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1