Austin Aune

DeepGreen

Just now, DeepGreen said:

I've got tired head reading all of these coaching change posts, etc.  Regardless of who coaches the Mean Green in 2020, I want to hear more discussions on our next starting QB.  I'm thinking Austin Aune might be the guy who leads the offense this year.  Still need some evaluation during the Spring, but I'm high on Aune.

Think of the success UAB had with the older players(I know, more than just one) when they reinstated the football program.  What better position than a solid, good size, older QB?  And his high school numbers are nothing to sneeze at.

Agreed. I'm impartial to him and Bean. I do like that he is older and has maturity and poise. He has also been a professional athlete and knows what it takes to be successful at the next level, even if it was in a different sport. 

• Upvote 5

It has to be Aune out of the internal options. Bean has been a turnover machine and has averaged just 4.8 yards per pass in what has amounted to more than a game’s worth of action. I know even that’s not much of a sample size, but I just don’t see it with anyone outside of Aune on this roster. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Salsa_Verde said:

I’m hoping Aune (pronounced Aune) turns his potential into reality. Bean is fast but he looks very light and I worry about his health over a full season. Time will tell. 

I was pretty impressed with him last spring and was a bit surprised when Bean was put in when Fine went down. Here is who I'm most curious about this spring.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/will-kuehne/4108

• Upvote 3

Just now, SilverEagle said:

I was pretty impressed with him last spring and was a bit surprised when Bean was put in when Fine went down. Here is who I'm most curious about this spring.

Born and Bred to play here but the question will be if he is ready yet.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Born and Bred to play here but the question will be if he is ready yet.

Well, he had a pretty impressive career in Oklahoma playing in a much bigger program than Fine. He's had at least one year of being around one of the most driven and confident players to ever play at NT. I'm guessing he's very anxious for spring practice to start and show everyone what he's got.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, he had a pretty impressive career in Oklahoma playing in a much bigger program than Fine. He's had at least one year of being around one of the most driven and confident players to ever play at NT. I'm guessing he's very anxious for spring practice to start and show everyone what he's got.

I don't disagree. He is certainly putting in hardwork as I noticed on twitter. However, Shanbour also excelled at a pretty big Oklahoma school and never was a serious candidate for the starting job (whether fair or not).

Edited by Cr1028

28 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

"• Received offers from Maryland, New Mexico, Arkansas State, Brown, Columbia, Cornell and Dartmouth."

I mean damn. I (personally) wish he ended up going to Brown, Columbia, Cornell OR Dartmouth. I wouldn't pass up the Ivy league for any amount of DIV I football.   

But  now that he is here, I hope he gets the chance and crushes it. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not ready to give up on Bean.  His speed really intrigued me.  Perhaps we could look at doing a 2-quarterback system. Norm Van  Brocklin and Bob Waterfield of the Rams did this well as both made the pro bowl in 50 and 51.

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

For me with Kuehne, it’s all about arm strength. I didn’t see a lot of it in his high school film. A huge chunk of his completions were over the middle of the field and to the side he was scrambling. He has to be able to complete passes to the outside from the pocket. 

If he is showing adequate arm strength and ability to complete passes on the boundaries, he could jump into the mix too. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

He took down some big time programs in Oklahoma as well.  My gut feeling is it’s either Aune or him.

Rick

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Put me in the group that expects Bean to be starting next year, his track speed at that position and having a QB that can run 8-12 times a game will do wonders for the offense after losing a very talented QB.

I think Bean will probably be the starter simply because that has been the coaching staff's direction the past 2 years.  He's been the first off the bench.  Unless Aune (or someone else) clearly outshines him this spring and fall, the tie goes to the incumbent, and that's Bean.

I noticed there's not much talk in this thread about Kason Martin.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I think Bean will probably be the starter simply because that has been the coaching staff's direction the past 2 years.  He's been the first off the bench.  Unless Aune (or someone else) clearly outshines him this spring and fall, the tie goes to the incumbent, and that's Bean.

I noticed there's not much talk in this thread about Kason Martin.

Aune was warming up to come in for Fine when he got banged up against Rice. After that La Tech game he was the backup for the rest of the year, even though we only saw Fine.

• Upvote 1

Kason Martin - https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/kason-martin/4070

Kid is just a winner.  He is a goof off in practice which is why he has been #3-6 on the chart.  I am betting that now that the position is open he will button down and show what he is really made of.  There was this other winner who was 3 deep on the charts that surprised the hell out of us a few years ago.

His lack of focus at practice may keep him from opening the season as number 1 but in my opinion Kuehne or Martin will end the season starting and will start for the next several years.

You can not teach someone to be a winner, but you can teach a winner to be a leader.  From what I have seen Bean and Aune have everything on paper (size, speed) but I have yet to see them do anything that makes me excited to see them next year.

• Thanks 1

All of these valid questions everyone has is exactly why I posted This back on November 24th when the season was basically over with nothing else to play for.  

Everyone including the new coordinators would have that much more information on tape to go on and more to be excited about before spring.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Harry said:

I’m not ready to give up on Bean.  His speed really intrigued me.  Perhaps we could look at doing a 2-quarterback system. Norm Van  Brocklin and Bob Waterfield of the Rams did this well as both made the pro bowl in 50 and 51.

Uh, Harry...need I remind you of Morton / Staubach?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Harry said:

robin williams what year is it GIF

• Upvote 3