FIU (1/9/2020)

greenminer

Just now, bstnsportsfan3 said:

And right when I say that he gets a monster dunk!!

Yeah. I was about to delete my post... haha.

Deng is doing what I thought Simmons was going to do. Hopefully he can get it back together. His time at UNT is running out and he has the build and ability to dominate if we can work him into the offense correctly. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I know it's a good thing that we lead the nation in, but it's almost comical how many charges we draw

Yep but like you said great signs.  Selfless, disciplined defense.  Hopefully that really helps us more as we go through conference play. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Is it just me or has Simmons really struggles to get anything going lately. 

He's like our Porzingis. Criticized for his lack of points on offense but does a lot of underrated things on defense. He's been solid on the boards today, something we really needed. 

• Upvote 4

On 1/5/2020 at 6:50 PM, BillySee58 said:

They had a decent non-conference showing, they have a veteran team, and had two home games. They got UTEP at a good time with all of their inner turmoil and starter leaving last week and beat them by 2, then got completely bailed out against UTSA where UTSA, with a 2-point lead and 2.9 seconds left, let the inbounds pass slip through their hands and FIU banked in a shot to tie the game and send it to OT. 

This is a game we should win, but this is also an opponent who is capable of beating us and is capable of pulling wins out at the end of the game. An area we have struggled. 

I posted this in the Marshall thread but in CUSA play the home team is 12-2. Both the teams we play this week went 2-0 at home this past week, so now it’s on us to take advantage of our home court.

All of these things considered, I was not impressed with FIU at all. Especially as the former leader in the conference standings, even if for a short while. I am glad we curbstomped them our of our home tonight, though. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

All of these things considered, I was not impressed with FIU at all. Especially as the former leader in the conference standings, even if for a short while. I am glad we curbstomped them our of our home tonight, though. 

We essentially get the same thing Saturday against 3-0 in conference FAU. We need to do the same thing to them, hopefully in front of a bigger crowd.

On a night where WKU and La Tech both lost by double digits on the road, we made a statement. Keep winning at home and opportunities will start to open up.

• Upvote 5

Just now, BillySee58 said:

We essentially get the same thing Saturday against 3-0 in conference FAU. We need to do the same thing to them, hopefully in front of a bigger crowd.

On a night where WKU and La Tech both lost by double digits on the road, we made a statement. Keep winning at home and opportunities will start to open up.

Agreed. FAU has a record padded by a cupcake OOC schedule. They haven't killed any worthy opponent they've faced yet so I like our chances at home. 

• Upvote 1

A fast start was key.  We can suffocate folks like the highest scoring team in the conference  if we stay out of foul trouble, have disciplined possessions, make free throws and play this beautiful brand of defense to get on top early and hold onto it.  Team basketball is going on right now and it’s been a beautiful evolution.  Hope these guys can keep building. 

• Upvote 2