The remaining 2020 scholarships

97and03

In another thread I said I thought with 5 OL signees we did not need any more O-lineman. So who should we target?

For the remaining 4-5 spots, I think we need another WR (or 2), a pure cover CB, another HS DE, and JUCO or HS DT (or both). They might also still be trying to add a QB as well. 

What you do all think? Positions or specific names welcome.

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

In another thread I said I thought with 5 OL signees we did not need any more O-lineman. So who should we target?

For the remaining 4-5 spots, I think we need another WR (or 2), a pure cover CB, another HS DE, and JUCO or HS DT (or both). They might also still be trying to add a QB as well. 

What you do all think? Positions or specific names welcome.

Best available?  Whether it’s a QB, an OL, DL, WR, LB etc.  

• Upvote 1

Jeremiah Crawford would be my top priority. We need a JUCO or grad transfer offensive tackle, and getting one with three years of eligibility who can play would be the best fit to grow with a young offense next year. 

I think a JUCO DT should be the next priority, especially if we’re going with a 4-3.

Maybe a high school QB. Chandler Galban, who missed his senior season, is a guy I have my eye on. I think he already graduated so could come in this spring if we moved on it but I don’t see that happening.

After that I think you weigh your options in the transfer market. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Jeremiah Crawford would be my top priority. We need a JUCO or grad transfer offensive tackle, and getting one with three years of eligibility who can play would be the best fit to grow with a young offense next year. 

I think a JUCO DT should be the next priority, especially if we’re going with a 4-3.

Maybe a high school QB. Chandler Galban, who missed his senior season, is a guy I have my eye on. I think he already graduated so could come in this spring if we moved on it but I don’t see that happening.

What is the story on Galban?  

Just now, UNTLifer said:

What is the story on Galban?  

He transferred to Frisco Lone Star from the Houston area before his senior season this year. He was a good G5 level prospect and I really like his film, and I think he has a stronger arm than Kuehne and probably Bean/Martin as well. Then I believe he had to have groin surgery before the season started and missed the whole year, so they rolled with Garrett Rangel who was a really good sophomore QB and they went to the state semis behind one of the top receivers in the country.

I don’t think we’ve been in contact but I think it’d be a good fit, especially with him able to enroll this semester. HS QB market is pretty slim this time of year, especially since the enactment of the fall signing period.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He transferred to Frisco Lone Star from the Houston area before his senior season this year. He was a good G5 level prospect and I really like his film, and I think he has a stronger arm than Kuehne and probably Bean/Martin as well. Then I believe he had to have groin surgery before the season started and missed the whole year, so they rolled with Garrett Rangel who was a really good sophomore QB and they went to the state semis behind one of the top receivers in the country.

I don’t think we’ve been in contact but I think it’d be a good fit, especially with him able to enroll this semester. HS QB market is pretty slim this time of year, especially since the enactment of the fall signing period.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Chandler-Galban-46049954/

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:34 PM, BillySee58 said:

Rangel beat him out as the starter. I don't know the situation after that.  There were a lot of rumors floating around but I don't like messing with those.  As for Rangel we should have offered after about 6 weeks.  That kid is going to be a big time QB I think. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Rangel beat him out as the starter. I don't know the situation after that.  There were a lot of rumors floating around but I don't like messing with those.  As for Rangel we should have offered after about 6 weeks.  That kid is going to be a big time QB I think. 

That seemed to be implication reading between the lines on the quotes. But I still really like Galban’s film from his Junior year. But I don’t see it happening.

• Upvote 1

DT/OT. 

If a proven head hunting, ball hawking SS is out there floating around then grab him too. 

And I don't care 3/2, 1/1, 2/1, etc. We need to improve as a team in 2020 and those are the areas of improvement that need to be had. I would say corner but I think a great S can help mask a poor corner in a 4-3. And for some reason or another I think our cornerback ability isn't as bad as it played most of the year. 

• Upvote 1

Galban is an interesting story at the very least, and when it comes to HS QB we have a realistic shot at he's probably one of the better ones left.

Personal wish list would be Jett Duffey, Kaedric Cobbs (we are never offering), and a couple of DL who can come in and make a quick impact whether that's juco or transfer.

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Upvote 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:34 PM, BillySee58 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2019/08/28/with-nevada-bound-chandler-galban-out-indefinitely-frisco-lone-star-to-open-2019-with-absolute-stud-garret-rangel-at-qb/