S - Marcus Trice

S - Kishawn McClain

K - Trevor Moore

P - Will Atterberry

KR - Brelan Chancellor

Abbey > Novil

Lee > McClain just barely.

Akunne > Garner

I cant think of anyone, but it seems someone should have been better than Darden at this point... maybe Carlos Harris? After next year, i'll probably agree with Darden on this list. 

QB - Mason Fine

RB - Lance Dunbar

WR - Rico Bussey

WR - Brelan Chancellor

TE - Kelvin Smith

OT - Antonio Johnson

OG - Mason Y’Barbo

C - Aaron Fortenberry

OG - Cyril Lemon

OT - Jordan Murray

DE - Brandon McCoy

DT - Rod Young

DT - Big Dick Abbe

DE - LaDarius Hamilton

OLB - Derek Akunne

ILB - EJ Ejiya

ILB -Zach Orr

OLB - Craig Robertson

CB - Kenny Buyers

CB - Nate Brooks

S - Marcus Trice

S - Lairamie Lee

K - Trevor Moore

P - Eric Keena

KR - Brelan Chancellor

• Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, Marty said:

QB - Mason Fine

RB - Lance Dunbar

WR - Rico Bussey

WR - Brelan Chancellor

TE - Kelvin Smith

OT - Antonio Johnson

OG - Mason Y’Barbo

C - Aaron Fortenberry

OG - Cyril Lemon

OT - Jordan Murray

DE - Brandon McCoy

DT - Rod Young

DT - Big Dick Abbe

DE - LaDarius Hamilton

OLB - Derek Akunne

ILB - EJ Ejiya

ILB -Zach Orr

OLB - Craig Robertson

CB - Kenny Buyers

CB - Nate Brooks

S - Marcus Trice

S - Lairamie Lee

K - Trevor Moore

P - Eric Keena

KR - Brelan Chancellor

I respect this list!!! Except for Murray... i'd hope we've had someone better in the past 10 years... 

• Upvote 1

I know this is not a favorite list but I would call an audible and select Riley Dodge ahead of Mason Fine. I would go with the better threat to take it to the house, on any play, and select Jeffrey Wilson ahead of Lance Dunbar. (very very close) Didn't leave on the best of circumstances but I would insert Jaylen Guyton & Carlos Harris ahead of others. I like John Shorter in the secondary and Brandon Akpunku ahead of Garner. I know Dodge against Fine is going against the grain but I'm brave enough. (my list is more of a who would I prefer to go win a championship)

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

QB Mason Fine

RB Tough one, Lance Dunbar with Wilson a close 2nd now that I recall the bout with fumblitis 

WR Rico Bussey Jr

WR Brelan Chancellor

TE Jason Pirtle

OT Antonio Johnson

OG Cyril Lemon

C Mason Y’Barbo

OG Kelvin Drake

OT Victor Gill

DE Andy Flusche

DT Roderick Young

DT UlaIasi Tauaalo 

DE Ladarius Hamilton

OLB Craig Robertson

ILB Zach Orr

ILB EJ Ejiyah

OLB Derek Akunne

CB Nate Brooks

CB Kemon Hall

S Marcus Trice

S Lairamie Lee

K Trevor Moore

P Eric Keena

KR Brelan Chancellor

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Cooley said:

I know this is not a favorite list but I would call an audible and select Riley Dodge ahead of Mason Fine. I would go with the better threat to take it to the house, on any play, and select Jeffrey Wilson ahead of Lance Dunbar. (very very close) Didn't leave on the best of circumstances but I would insert Jaylen Guyton & Carlos Harris ahead of others. I like John Shorter in the secondary and Brandon Akpunku ahead of Garner. I know Dodge against Fine is going against the grain but I'm brave enough. (my list is more of a who would I prefer to go win a championship)

Akpunku was a defensive end, while Garner was a linebacker

• Upvote 1

• Harry featured this topic
2 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Abbey > Novil

These are all valid arguments and below is how I came to my decisions.

Novil has 20 TFLs through his junior season and Abbe had 8 for his whole career. Abbe was great at eating blocks but Novil is really good there too.

Lee > McClain just barely.

McClain had about 120 more career tackles, 7 more TFLs, 2 more interceptions, 2 more forced fumbles, and made an all-CUSA team in 2016 while Lee never did.

Akunne > Garner

I had the most trouble with this one. Akunne had far more tackles but Garner was so good at making splash plays. He had 10 more TFLs than Akunne and 8 more sacks. I think Akunne probably would get it but my lasting memory of Akunne was him making all these tackles 7-11 yards downfield in 2014 while my memory of Garner is him blowing up plays in the backfield. Maybe not fair to Akunne but both were really good.

I cant think of anyone, but it seems someone should have been better than Darden at this point... maybe Carlos Harris? After next year, i'll probably agree with Darden on this list. 

I think Harris over Darden is very fair as well. I think Darden is a better player but Harris really made a lot of plays, especially for those teams with bad QBs in 14 and 15. But for my team I’m taking Darden. 

Personally I put Buyers at CB despite other worthy options, also for his general contribution to the team because he was ok to move to WR, where he was also decent

No space for Guyton is also sad for me, and in SLs system with GH, one might have argued for having 3 WRs on this list. I took off the TE as I don't see a TE that that I absolutely need to have on it. Smith was the best but in SLs system that didn't matter much. Wilson had to be on it for me even more than Guyton though, so I put him there, not just for his running, but also for his blocking, which almost made him a TE at times.

OT seemed the weakest position to me.

edit: argh somehow I deleted it when posting

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Novil has 20 TFLs through his junior season and Abbe had 8 for his whole career. Abbe was great at eating blocks but Novil is really good there too.

McClain had about 120 more career tackles, 7 more TFLs, 2 more interceptions, 2 more forced fumbles, and made an all-CUSA team in 2016 while Lee never did.

I had the most trouble with this one. Akunne had far more tackles but Garner was so good at making splash plays. He had 10 more TFLs than Akunne and 8 more sacks. I think Akunne probably would get it but my lasting memory of Akunne was him making all these tackles 7-11 yards downfield in 2014 while my memory of Garner is him blowing up plays in the backfield. Maybe not fair to Akunne but both were really good

When considering statistics, remember to consider how good the 2013 defense was and that there were only so many tackles to go around. We also had a pretty good offense that didn’t turnover the ball nearly as much as some of our other season offenses.

As far as Lairamie Lee? I will just leave this here. 

• Upvote 2

QB  Mason Fine

RB  Lance Dunbar

WR  Brelan Chancellor

WR  Rico Bussey

TE  Marcus Smith

OT  Matt Tomlinson

OG  Mason Y'Barbo

C  I'm drawing a blank on this one.  I'll have to get back to you.

OG  Cyril Lemon

OT  Antonio Johnson

DE  Aaron Bellazin

DT  Roderick Young

DT  Richard Abbe

DE  Ladarius Hambone

OLB  E.J. Ejiya

ILB  Zach Orr

ILB  Brandon Garner

OLB  Craig Robertson

CB  Nate Brooks

CB  Kemon Hall

S  Marcus Trice

S  Laramie Lee

K  Trevor Moore

P  Will Atterberry

KR  Brelan Chancellor

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

QB  Mason Fine

RB  Jeff Wilson Jr

WR   Jaelon Darden

WR  Rico Bussey
WR Carlos Harris

TE  Marcus Smith

OT  Matt Tomlinson

OG  Mason Y'Barbo

C  Aaron Fortenberry

OG  Cyril Lemon

OT  Antonio Johnson

DE  Aaron Bellazin 

DT  Roderick Young

DT  Dion Novil

DE  Ladarius Hamilton 

LB  E.J. Ejiya

LB  Zach Orr

LB  Craig Robertson

LB Derek Akunne

CB  Nate Brooks

CB  Kemon Hall

S  Kishawn McClain

S  Laramie Lee

K  Trevor Moore

P  Will Atterberry

KR  Brelan Chancellor

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Copy and paste an fill in the blank with your vote for the all decade Mean Green Football team. Any one the played from 2010-2019. Team will be announced tonight. 

QB  -  Fine (all time leader in everything... no-brainer.)

RB - Dunbar (this one sucked and I agonized over this one more than any other. I had to ding Dunbar a little since 2 of his years were in the aughts, but even still, his 2 years in the '10s were better than any 2 years Wilson had.  Wish I had 2 RB spots instead of a TE spot.)

WR - Harris (just go look at his stats... he's a no-brainer.  He's all over NT's top-10 all-time receiver lists, statistically.  I know a lot of y'all hated his personality, but you can't deny what he produced on the field.)

WR - Bussey (this one was also made more difficult by him going down this year and Darden performing so well in his absence, but again, when comparing their best seasons, Bussey gets the nod.)

TE - M.Smith (Didn't matter if it was Dodge/McCarney/Littrell, this position just was never used... so due to Smith's 6TDs in 2014, he gets the nod.)

OT - A.Johnson (The road graders during the McCarney era are going to show up heavy here, and Antonio was a rock while here.)

OG - Y'Barbo (The Badger was just a mean dude.  The embodiment of what you want an OL to be.)

C - Kirby (Thought about Fortenberry here, and both were great walk-on stories.  Wish Kirby didn't walk away.)

OG - Lemon (Thought about Woodworth here, but he was moved back & forth to Tackle so much I couldn't put him over Cyril.)

OT - Tomlinson (Thought about Murray here, but Tomlinson's Sr year in 2011 was so good.)

DE - Belazin (he was a menace & just got better & better every year while here.)

DT - R.Young (he was disruptive no matter where he lined up.)

DT - Abbe (he had a fantastic Sr. year.  Got the nod over Atkinson's Sr. year simply because he was here longer.)

DE - L.Hamilton (a force that had to be accounted for on every snap.)

OLB - Akunne (so fast, and a great nose for the ball.)

ILB - Orr (One of a kind.  Just an amazing player.)

ILB - Ejiya (had 3 years during this decade, and that's why he gets the nod here over Craig's awesome 2010 year.)

OLB - Akpunku (even though he played DE here, I think he would have been a Joker in our current setup, which is what I'm guessing this 4th LB spot was designed for... and I think he would have been better than Wheeler/Jojo.)

CB - Brooks (persevered through a bumpy Jr. year after such a promising start to have an incredible Sr. year.  I love that.)

CB - Hall (closest thing we had to a 'lock-down' CB we've had here since I've been watching: shoutout to Don McGee though.)

S - Trice (I feel like this guy was the heart of the team during his time here.  His positive personality rubbed off on everyone & gave the defense a ton of confidence.)

S - McClain (Gave him the nod over Lee because he was one of the only bright spots during his time here.)

K - Moore (What a career.)

P - Atterberry (barely over Keena.  Both were fantastic.)

KR - Chancellor (is this even in question?)

Hope I'm not too late!

EDIT:  Saw JayD said there will be 3 WRs (again, wish it was 2 RBs instead), but my 3rd WR is Darden over Guyton.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Copy and paste an fill in the blank with your vote for the all decade Mean Green Football team. Any one the played from 2010-2019. Team will be announced tonight. 

QB Mason Fine

RB Lance Dunbar

WR Ricoh Bussey jr

WR Brelan Chancellor

WR Jalen Guyton

TERB Jeffrey Wilson (as previously said: TE was never much used in this decade, particularly by SL and Wilson just deserves it sooo much)

OT Antonio Johnson

OG Cyrill Lemon

C Fortenberry

OG Mason Y'Barbo

OT Matt Tomlinson

DE LaDarius Hamilton

DT Roderick Young

DT Dick Abbe

DE Brandon McCoy

LB Derek Akunne

LB EJ Ejiah

LB Zach Orr

LB Brandon Garner

CB Nate Brooks

CB Kenny Buyers (CB was also a position with quite a few deserving options)

S Laramie Lee

S Marcus Trice

K Trevor Moore

P Will Atterberry

KR Brelan Chancellor

Here again. Hopefully I chose the same folks

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

QB: Mason Fine

RB: J. Wilson

RB: Dunbar

WR: Bussey Jr.

WR: Chancellor

TE: Marcus Johnson

OT: A. Johnson

OG: Y'Barbo

😄 A. Fortenberry

OG: Lemon

OT: Tomlinson

DE: Bellazin

DT: R.  Young

DT: Novil

DE: Hamilton

OLB: Wheeler

ILB: Orr

ILB: Ejiya

OLB: Garner

CB: K. Hall

CB: K. Buyers

S: Trice

S: Lee

K: Moore

P: Keena

KR: Chancellor

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:33 PM, BillySee58 said:

I had the most trouble with this one. Akunne had far more tackles but Garner was so good at making splash plays. He had 10 more TFLs than Akunne and 8 more sacks. I think Akunne probably would get it but my lasting memory of Akunne was him making all these tackles 7-11 yards downfield in 2014 while my memory of Garner is him blowing up plays in the backfield. Maybe not fair to Akunne but both were really good.

I think Harris over Darden is very fair as well. I think Darden is a better player but Harris really made a lot of plays, especially for those teams with bad QBs in 14 and 15. But for my team I’m taking Darden. 

I'm biased... I just like Abbe more as of now. KMAC is probably gonna be in the HOF over Lee because of his tackles, but Lee put the fear of God in WRs coming over the middle. Akunne was one of the best overall atheletes we've had this decade and was super effective, but overshadowed by a future probowl LB in Orr. 

• Upvote 2

Novil > Abbe. Sorry no question about it. 

A name that didn't get mentioned was Sarge McCoy.  He was a really solid DE for us. 

Kelvin Smith > Marcus Smith.  I copied and pasted another post that was the most similar to my thoughts to save work and accidentally kept the wrong Smith.  Kelvin was even up for a national award in 2018 for most versatile player.  Had he been healthy this year, he would have really stood out to everyone voting on this.  His blocking was essential to the success our RBs had.

Eric Jenkins really deserves a spot here but Hall and Brooks had such and amazing 2018 it just barely keeps him off. 

I would love to see AK47 play Jack LB in this defense. Would have been much better suited than in the 4-3.

Lee > Trice or McClain.  As much as everyone gives credit to 2013 Trice, I also remember an average 2012 Trice. Lee did it better for more years. And despite was @BillySee58 said I am pretty sure Lee was All-CUSA. 

I had forgotten about Kirby at Center. Probably the correct choice there.  We were pretty lucky at Center for a run of several seasons. 

• Upvote 1