What is most important in luring the best G5 Assistants?

Harry

Some claim it is the salary which certainly doesn't hurt.  I think it may be more about the upward mobility of the head coach, location and G5 program support / funding / conference.  FAU was attractive to KPat because he is trying to swim his way back up to a P5 gig with P5 money and resources.  He sees that as a place left in good hands from Kif and under WIllie Taggart poised for good things.  Living in Miami is another plus.

I guess what I am saying is that it is nice to have a bigger assistant salary pool, when trying to attract the top tier assistants to your program.  It may mean more if they see it as a place that can get real successful quickly to allow them to get that coveted P5 gig.

10 hours ago, wardly said:

So which would be the better job? Since both are looking, O.C. at SMU or UNT.

Great question! I think it depends on where you are in your career and what you want to accomplish. 

If your primary focus is to springboard to a P5 job I think UNT is the play because you can look good and be in demand by winning the easiest G5 division in CFB. This is of course you believe in Seth and the direction he is taking. 

I think the money will be close between the two so I don’t think that is a big issue. I could be wrong here.  

I think SMU will be good again next year but after that it will be middle of the road in the American for them. It’s hard to stand out in the middle of the pack. 

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, Harry said:

Some claim it is the salary which certainly doesn't hurt.  I think it may be more about the upward mobility of the head coach, location and G5 program support / funding / conference.  FAU was attractive to KPat because he is trying to swim his way back up to a P5 gig with P5 money and resources.  He sees that as a place left in good hands from Kif and under WIllie Taggart poised for good things.  Living in Miami is another plus.

I guess what I am saying is that it is nice to have a bigger assistant salary pool, when trying to attract the top tier assistants to your program.  It may mean more if they see it as a place that can get real successful quickly to allow them to get that coveted P5 gig.

Nailed it.

Your fate depends most on whose star you hitch your wagon to.

• Upvote 2