Langston and Yellock will not return for 2020 Season

TheReal_jayD

27 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

No, I'm saying that in this defense, pressure is generated by LBs and Safeties coming out of the back field into pass rush generally speaking.  The idea is you can be more versatile and unpredictable in this style of offense.  I don't think the Dline coach would be responsible for poor pass rush on the part of the DBs and LBs.  And it's hard to generate immediate rush at the line of scrimmage with only three down linemen. The scheme typically uses what is called a "Jack" linebacker as a hybrid DE/LB as the 4th standard pass rusher, but that's not the same as putting a true DE on the end.  I put most of the blame on Reffett because in this style of defense every play has to be well coordinated and executed to work properly.

Thank you. You understand the nuances of the defense better than I do for sure. I’d like to know what you would need to see I. This defense to determine that the D-line coach was doing a poor job? I’m curious if there is a measuring stick for d-line in this defense or if they get a pass as long as 4 or 5 o-linemen are occupied.

36 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Thank you. You understand the nuances of the defense better than I do for sure. I’d like to know what you would need to see I. This defense to determine that the D-line coach was doing a poor job? I’m curious if there is a measuring stick for d-line in this defense or if they get a pass as long as 4 or 5 o-linemen are occupied.

I would look at a couple of things. First, the development of recruits. LaDarius Hamilton(Sr) and Dion Novil (Jr) have shown improvement year to year. I'd also see if linemen never pressured the passer, which wasn't the case this year.  It was usually our 3 Dlinemen that were creating the most pressure on the QB, which is especially commendable for Dion Novil at nose tackle who typically got double teamed (Novil was tied for 3rd in sacks) . It was the other positions (Jack LB, LBs, DBs) that could not generate the pressure we needed them to, though to be fair both KD Davis and Tyreke Davis at LB struggled with injuries at times. If I'm not mistaken, in this type of system, you should see a lot of sacks from LBs and DBs. 

I know part of the staff's reason for picking the 3-3-5 was concern over depth in the Dline.  I don't really have a good measuring stick to see how good or bad Yellock was doing, I just didn't see a lot of bad stuff out of the Dline on defense. My bigger complaint was linebacker and defensive backs. In 2018 with EJ and Brandon Gardner at LB, and Brooks at cornerback we had the personnel  to run the 3-3-5 well. With the turnover and no real studs coming into those positions, we couldn't run the 3-3-5 well.

I don't know how he was as a recruiter either. Maybe there were some deficiencies there but I think the main reason he was let go was probably because our new DC has one or two guys in mind that he likes more.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, peanuts104 said:

I would look at a couple of things. First, the development of recruits. LaDarius Hamilton(Sr) and Dion Novil (Jr) have shown improvement year to year. I'd also see if linemen never pressured the passer, which wasn't the case this year.  It was usually our 3 Dlinemen that were creating the most pressure on the QB, which is especially commendable for Dion Novil at nose tackle who typically got double teamed (Novil was tied for 3rd in sacks) . It was the other positions (Jack LB, LBs, DBs) that could not generate the pressure we needed them to, though to be fair both KD Davis and Tyreke Davis at LB struggled with injuries at times. If I'm not mistaken, in this type of system, you should see a lot of sacks from LBs and DBs. 

I know part of the staff's reason for picking the 3-3-5 was concern over depth in the Dline.  I don't really have a good measuring stick to see how good or bad Yellock was doing, I just didn't see a lot of bad stuff out of the Dline on defense. My bigger complaint was linebacker and defensive backs. In 2018 with EJ and Brandon Gardner at LB, and Brooks at cornerback we had the personnel  to run the 3-3-5 well. With the turnover and no real studs coming into those positions, we couldn't run the 3-3-5 well.

I don't know how he was as a recruiter either. Maybe there were some deficiencies there but I think the main reason he was let go was probably because our new DC has one or two guys in mind that he likes more.

Thanks for that, I just though Hamilton had regressed since he was first team CUSA last year and only honorable mention this year.

11 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

No, I'm saying that in this defense, pressure is generated by LBs and Safeties coming out of the back field into pass rush generally speaking.  The idea is you can be more versatile and unpredictable in this style of offense.  I don't think the Dline coach would be responsible for poor pass rush on the part of the DBs and LBs.  And it's hard to generate immediate rush at the line of scrimmage with only three down linemen. The scheme typically uses what is called a "Jack" linebacker as a hybrid DE/LB as the 4th standard pass rusher, but that's not the same as putting a true DE on the end.  I put most of the blame on Reffett because in this style of defense every play has to be well coordinated and executed to work properly.

And the DC switched to a conservative approach after the Cal game, which resulted in many times when the 3 man line had to try to generate pressure without blitzing LBs. They were able to occasionally, but 3 against 5-7 isn't really fair. (On the flip side, our opponents didn't seem to have much trouble getting in our backfield without blitzes but that is an entirely different story.)

• Upvote 4

Just realized former North Texas tight end Beau Davidson  is an offensive quality control coach with Virginia Tech. His dad was an offensive lineman for us that went on to play with the Oilers. Beau has a good amount of Both Texas high school and lower level college experience as a D-line coach, O-line coach, and DC. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2