Langston and Yellock will not return for 2020 Season

TheReal_jayD

I don’t get the love for Yellock. Our pass rush was non-existent this year. If you are giving him a pass for “did good for what he had to work with” then you have to do the same with Reffett. I think this was a great time to thank him for his service and move on, we can do better.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

This is the only one I can answer.

The sun's light is full spectrum, but when it hits the earth's atmosphere a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering occurs.  The different bands of the light spectrum are scattered by different amounts depending on their wavelength, the shorter blue end of the spectrum is scattered most and that is why it dominates the color of the sky.   During sunset and sunrise the light has to travel through more of the atmosphere, and it scatters the blue so much that the red and yellow end of the spectrum dominates instead. 

If you were sitting on a body with no atmosphere, like the moon, the sky would appear black at all times, even during the lunar "day".

I only know this because I had to explain it to an 11 year old during the holiday break. 

Thankyou....

7 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I thought Yellock did a really good job with what he had and he developed some studs for us on the line, but I understand new coordinators wanting to get their own guys.  A fresh perspective is needed on both sides of the line.

Hopefully with Yellock he gets to interview for his job. He turned Novil into a hell of a NT. Not his fault they only rushed three most of the year. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Coordinators do not typically (if ever) hire assistants

I get this, but I think they have a huge amount of input. If a coordinator feels strongly about a particular guy, I would imagine most HCs are going to adjust. See Seth Doege and John David Baker landing at USC with Graham Harrell.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, greenminer said:

Does Y’Barbo have coaching experience? I can’t remember what he’s been doing since graduation.

2015 grad asst UNT

2016 grad asst UNT

2017 Co-OC and O-line Coach, Fort Scott CC

2018 Northeastern Oklahoma A&M O-line coach

2019 grad asst Mizzou

Presently Denton High O-line coach 

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 5:50 PM, Cr1028 said:

I don’t get the love for Yellock. Our pass rush was non-existent this year. If you are giving him a pass for “did good for what he had to work with” then you have to do the same with Reffett. I think this was a great time to thank him for his service and move on, we can do better.

If your position group is limited to 3 down linemen because of scheme, I think that qualifies as "did good for what he had to work with".  He developed some studs along the line.  When you can take and develop a guy that was lightly recruited like Novil and turn him into a force that can get pressure, sacks, and TFLs from the nose tackle position while usually being double teamed, yeah I think he did a decent job developing our guys and coaching his position group.  With 3-3-5 you aren't supposed to get pressure from the line, that's supposed to come from LBs and safeties.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

If your position group is limited to 3 down linemen because of scheme, I think that qualifies as "did good for what he had to work with".  He developed some studs along the line.  When you can take and develop a guy that was lightly recruited like Novil and turn him into a force that can get pressure, sacks, and TFLs from the nose tackle position while usually being double teamed, yeah I think he did a decent job developing our guys and coaching his position group.  With 3-3-5 you aren't supposed to get pressure from the line, that's supposed to come from LBs and safeties.

I will try and go back to watch some game footage but just so I know what to look for, you are saying that our linebackers dropped into coverage nearly every play and did not apply pressure to the LOS? And this would be only the wrongdoing of the DC and nothing to do with the D-line or linebackers coach? Am I getting you correctly?

• Confused 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

I will try and go back to watch some game footage but just so I know what to look for, you are saying that our linebackers dropped into coverage nearly every play and did not apply pressure to the LOS? And this would be only the wrongdoing of the DC and nothing to do with the D-line or linebackers coach? Am I getting you correctly?

No, I'm saying that in this defense, pressure is generated by LBs and Safeties coming out of the back field into pass rush generally speaking.  The idea is you can be more versatile and unpredictable in this style of offense.  I don't think the Dline coach would be responsible for poor pass rush on the part of the DBs and LBs.  And it's hard to generate immediate rush at the line of scrimmage with only three down linemen. The scheme typically uses what is called a "Jack" linebacker as a hybrid DE/LB as the 4th standard pass rusher, but that's not the same as putting a true DE on the end.  I put most of the blame on Reffett because in this style of defense every play has to be well coordinated and executed to work properly.

• Thanks 2