So what are hour conference play expectations?

Andrew

1 minute ago, dml7007 said:

ESPN power index has us going 11-3 in the first 14. Which I would I believe get is pod one.   

I think they are off in the WKU game since they have lost a few players. If we can get Wins at WKU and Marshall to start conference play I will feel much better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I know Benford had only four wins against D1 non conference opponents one year. Mcasland joins him there. Is there anyone who has had less than 4 non-con D-1 wins? 

Stop analyzing that in a silo. We have the third highest NET ranking in CUSA heading into conference play. We had a good non-conference showing.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Stop analyzing that in a silo. We have the third highest NET ranking in CUSA heading into conference play. We had a good non-conference showing.

4 Division 1 wins in 13 games doesn’t really give off that impression to most people. I believe we are a better team this year and our guys have grown leaps and bounds from day 1, but I would expect our conference mates to have done the same. Southern Miss had a relatively tough schedule and looks a bit worse than us. I don’t think people are going to be singing their praises either. I believe we will be a top 4 team by the time the conference tournament comes around, but the OOC games still won’t look good to the average fan. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

4 Division 1 wins in 13 games doesn’t really give off that impression to most people. I believe we are a better team this year and our guys have grown leaps and bounds from day 1, but I would expect our conference mates to have done the same. Southern Miss had a relatively tough schedule and looks a bit worse than us. I don’t think people are going to be singing their praises either. I believe we will be a top 4 team by the time the conference tournament comes around, but the OOC games still won’t look good to the average fan. 

Andrew are you an average fan?   I guess you had to be predicting a national championship with last year's 16-1 start.

Look at the schedule and the teams played or one of the many ranking sites.  

This year's start is much better than last year, despite the records.  It does not take much analysis to figure that out.   

Most rankings currently have NT third in CUSA behind La Tech and WKU.   WKU's big lost by 17 at home to Belmont today should move NT up a notch.

So yes, I think that NT has a good chance to win ten out their 19 league games.   

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

4 Division 1 wins in 13 games doesn’t really give off that impression to most people. 

Stats and rankings are so ubiquitous and accessible now that nearly everyone I know is of the opinion that you can't judge a team by simply looking at the number up front.  Most are very capable of looking up SOSs, RPIs, etc...

This isn't rocket science and we're not living in 1999.  There are literally preteens out there with a grasp of APIs, data mining, and basic statistical analysis.

Edited by greenminer

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

Stats and rankings are so ubiquitous and accessible now that nearly everyone I know is of the opinion that you can't judge a team by simply looking at the number up front.  Most are very capable of looking up SOSs, RPIs, etc...

This isn't rocket science and we're not living in 1999.  There are literally preteens out there with a grasp of APIs, data mining, and basic statistical analysis.

I wouldn’t say that’s true because there are a lot of people who are still opposed to analytics in sports. I would say the average fan would be like the people who sat behind us who may know the game of basketball, but didn’t even know what conference UNT was in. They wouldn’t be “data mining” anything. 

I believe we are amu I better team and can see us going 14-4 at least. 20-11 heading into conference play looks nice. (I’m assuming we play 18 conference games). 

My biggest issue is we are no longer a young team. In two years we lose pretty much everyone. 😕

Edited by Andrew
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

I think we can easily have 10 wins. We played a tough non conference schedule with a lot of newcomers. We did really well as those newcomers were trying to gel. I think if this team of today had to play OU, Utah St, Rhode Island, and Eastern Michigan again; I think we win. The VCU and Arkansas game maybe even are wins. The Dayton game, we definitely still lose. However, they are coming together at the right time and I can see us in the top pod this year.

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I think we can easily have 10 wins. We played a tough non conference schedule with a lot of newcomers. We did really well as those newcomers were trying to gel. I think if this team of today had to play OU, Utah St, Rhode Island, and Eastern Michigan again; I think we win. The VCU and Arkansas game maybe even are wins. The Dayton game, we definitely still lose. However, they are coming together at the right time and I can see us in the top pod this year.

I agree. I wish we could go back and have another shot at a few of those games. The EMU and OU games still bother me. Probably because we were at home. I’m really like what I an seeing from our four transfers. I wanted more freshman, but we need to win now. Next year will be our big year. 

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

I wouldn’t say that’s true because there are a lot of people who are still opposed to analytics in sports. I would say the average fan would be like the people who sat behind us who may know the game of basketball, but didn’t even know what conference UNT was in. They wouldn’t be “data mining” anything. 

I believe we are amu I better team and can see us going 14-4 at least. 20-11 heading into conference play looks nice. (I’m assuming we play 18 conference games). 

My biggest issue is we are no longer a young team. In two years we lose pretty much everyone. 😕

We brought in 7 new guys this year and will probably continue that trend going forward. We should be REALLY good next year only losing Geu, Smart and Draper. We should be a favorite to win the conference next year.

10 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

We brought in 7 new guys this year and will probably continue that trend going forward. We should be REALLY good next year only losing Geu, Smart and Draper. We should be a favorite to win the conference next year.

That’s my thought although it does worry me a bit for the future. Geu is the only real big loss. Hopefully we can get at-least one solid big and Alcindor comes ready next season to bang without fouling to much). 

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

I wouldn’t say that’s true because there are a lot of people who are still opposed to analytics in sports. I would say the average fan would be like the people who sat behind us who may know the game of basketball, but didn’t even know what conference UNT was in. They wouldn’t be “data mining” anything. 😕

nah

• Eye Roll 1