Skip Holtz

TheReal_jayD

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

No coach in the country has done more with less. He has constantly had coordinators and assistants poached. But just reloads and continues to be consistent. La tech is paying Skip half what we pay Seth. We paid Reffett and Reeder $295k and $275k respectively. While our conference mates in Ruston paid their coordinators $185k and $165k. That's a difference of 220k for those keep track at home. If for some reason Seth leaves Wren first call should be to Skip. He has learned how to win at the G5 level. New Denton has gave all the resources to win. Now we just need some results.

I was one of the ones that would say no to Skip, I wanted someone young and relatable to the kids. But you cant argue the results and have done a complete 180 on Skip. I welcome such a move 1000%

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

You wonder about how much his success can be attributed to his geographic location, academics and their semester calendar?  There is a reason a P5 has not contacted him.

Do we know this with absolute certainty, or is this GMG.com-assumption because we haven't seen his name pop up as a finalist?

i'm super skeptical of that statement because, with his success and name, I think he has a ton of weight in the coaching community.  I also think the location and academics is exactly what makes his success so remarkable.  This is the first time I've heard anyone suggest the opposite and would love to hear your reasoning.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

No coach in the country has done more with less. He has constantly had coordinators and assistants poached. But just reloads and continues to be consistent. La tech is paying Skip half what we pay Seth. We paid Reffett and Reeder $295k and $275k respectively. While our conference mates in Ruston paid their coordinators $185k and $165k. That's a difference of 220k for those keep track at home. If for some reason Seth leaves Wren first call should be to Skip. He has learned how to win at the G5 level. New Denton has gave all the resources to win. Now we just need some results.

So what do you know about the plans for Seth?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, techdawg88 said:

Tech is on the quarter system, not semester 

That is what I was referring to. It gives a player 3- 4 times a year to transfer in not 2. Which can give a transfer an advantage of coming in early or later compared to most schools On the academics at one time if you were in state and had a C average you were accepted to a state school and in many cases with scholarship money. Dirkwitze ( App State) was a head coach for 1 year and got the Missouri job? P5’s knows Skip. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

They’re actually paying him LESS than half but I get what your saying.  And SL isn’t leaving anytime soon unless this ship turns around quick.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Lovely Take 1

Skip Holtz is the absolute model of G5 consistent coaching/recruiting.  He was a tremendous hire for Louisiana Tech and, if he ever leaves, will probably be a solid hire for whatever program next gets him. But, there's no chance in hell that he would ever leave LaTech for UNT, regardless of money.  If he did, it would be because his stock fell or somehow his relationship with the AD there soured.  

One thing I've always admired about Louisiana Tech's athletic department is that they so rarely are ever terrible at any major sport.  They aren't always conference championship caliber, but they are almost never at the bottom of the conference.  Meanwhile, at North Texas, history tells us that after things go south and we miss a bowl game, it usually takes MANY years of rebuilding before we are even competitive again.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Skip Holtz is the absolute model of G5 consistent coaching/recruiting.  He was a tremendous hire for Louisiana Tech and, if he ever leaves, will probably be a solid hire for whatever program next gets him. But, there's no chance in hell that he would ever leave LaTech for UNT, regardless of money.  If he did, it would be because his stock fell or somehow his relationship with the AD there soured.  

One thing I've always admired about Louisiana Tech's athletic department is that they so rarely are ever terrible at any major sport.  They aren't always conference championship caliber, but they are almost never at the bottom of the conference.  Meanwhile, at North Texas, history tells us that after things go south and we miss a bowl game, it usually takes MANY years of rebuilding before we are even competitive again.

You mean like after we went 1-11 and had the worst loss in school history it took us a whopping two years to go 9-5, beat La Tech in Ruston and win CUSA West? 

Did you know that since 2000 we've gone to eight bowls and La Tech has gone to nine? 

Granted, our lows have been lower than theirs but I'm not sure anybody cared when they went 4-8 and we went 3-9. 

Or do you mean when they let HOFer Kim Mulkey go because they wouldn't give her a five year contract and instead hired a 23 year old who subsequently slept with one of his players?

Or that they haven't been to the Men's NCAA tournament in thirty years? 

Look, overall they win more than us and do a lot with a little. But forgive me if i don't have any jealousy for Louisiana Tech. No thanks. Let's see what happens over the next thirty years, especially now that we have a competent AD. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

You mean like after we went 1-11 and had the worst loss in school history it took us a whopping two years to go 9-5, beat La Tech in Ruston and win CUSA West? 

Did you know that since 2000 we've gone to eight bowls and La Tech has gone to nine? 

Granted, our lows have been lower than theirs but I'm not sure anybody cared when they went 4-8 and we went 3-9. 

Or do you mean when they let HOFer Kim Mulkey go because they wouldn't give her a five year contract and instead hired a 23 year old who subsequently slept with one of his players?

Or that they haven't been to the Men's NCAA tournament in thirty years? 

Look, overall they win more than us and do a lot with a little. But forgive me if i don't have any jealousy for Louisiana Tech. No thanks. Let's see what happens over the next thirty years, especially now that we have a competent AD. 

We hired Todd Dodge and Tony Benford.  And, it's not even the hires that bother me but how long we kept both of them, despite historic failures.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Greendylan said:

We hired Todd Dodge and Tony Benford.  And, it's not even the hires that bother me but how long we kept both of them, despite historic failures.

BINGO !  We all absolutely hated that “do nothing “ athletic management at NT.  Wren Baker looks like the real deal so far right now. I don’t believe he will drag his feet if football or basketball show signs of atrophy. Wren is smart, young and needs to protect his own future growth potential: McCasland needs to start winning in conference, not there yet. Littrel can’t have another boondoggle failure like this  season.  Wren is a pretty good AD, don’t believe he’ll drag his feet.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cogido said:

BINGO !  We all absolutely hated that “do nothing “ athletic management at NT.  Wren Baker looks like the real deal so far right now. I don’t believe he will drag his feet if football or basketball show signs of atrophy. Wren is smart, young and needs to protect his own future growth potential: McCasland needs to start winning in conference, not there yet. Littrel can’t have another boondoggle failure like this  season.  Wren is a pretty good AD, don’t believe he’ll drag his feet.

If Seth wins 8 games and goes bowling he will be the n the hot list again. Two down seasons he would be gone. . His recruiting has been great and I hope we have a good qb. GMG 

Nobody ever takes into account a few details about La Tech that helps them immensely.

One, they have a long tradition of winning, going back for 50 years. And during that time, the did something that was not CATASTROPHIC to their program by dropping down to FCS for several years. 

Two, they sit in a hotbed for real legitimate college football talent. Besides LSU, they sit at the top end of the state for their loads of HS talent, which has proven to be way stronger than what Texas rolls out.

Skip Holtz is a very good G5 coach and knows how to take advantage of the surroundings.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Two, they sit in a hotbed for real legitimate college football talent. Besides LSU, they sit at the top end of the state for their loads of HS talent, which has proven to be way stronger than what Texas rolls out.

There is no way talent at the top of La is way stronger than what TX rolls out. If that was the case, they would not dip into Texas as much as they do. TX has proven to always be a hotbed for recruiting and has always been rated much higher than LA (and not because we are a larger state) and that's why the P5 teams raid the state like they do.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Big 12 play has impacted Texas football. That’s why I love the sec it’s got some old school in it. 

peach howl proof 

went to the cotton bowl and Memphis played a good game. Penn state just wore them down.

gmg

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

20 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Big 12 play has impacted Texas football. That’s why I love the sec it’s got some old school in it. 

peach howl proof 

went to the cotton bowl and Memphis played a good game. Penn state just wore them down.

gmg

LSU just appears 1) more physical in the trenches and, 2) still wants to fling it around like a TX 7-on-7 tourney.

Just now, greenminer said:

LSU just appears 1) more physical in the trenches and, 2) still wants to fling it around like a TX 7-on-7 tourney.

Orgeron is a former D lineman. He understands that games are won and lost in the trenches, and really puts a priority on collecting outstanding linemen on both sides of the ball. Riley is a Leach guy. None of the coaches from the Leach coaching tree pay enough attention to the lines. So, LSU is dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. It is that simple.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Orgeron is a former D lineman. He understands that games are won and lost in the trenches, and really puts a priority on collecting outstanding linemen on both sides of the ball. Riley is a Leach guy. None of the coaches from the Leach coaching tree pay enough attention to the lines. So, LSU is dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. It is that simple.

I enjoyed watching Air Force’s Triple Option roll over Wazzu with the nation’s smallest O line in FBS for their 11th win of the season.

Rick.  

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

This has got to be one of the most factually incorrect and ridiculous threads I have ever read peppered with a few good takes. 

Here are a few of the jemstones:

La has real talent and Tx doesn’t. 

Anybody ever associated with the air raid doesn’t care about defense. 

Anybody ever associated with the air raid doesn’t care about offensive linemen. 

Only a former lineman truly understands that games are won in the trenches. 

La Tech has some sort of other worldly advantage because they are on the quarter system and not the semester system. 

Tis the offseason. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 1