Applewhite, Briles receive coordinator interviews

Harry

FAYETTEVILLE — Major Applewhite and Kendal Briles have emerged as leading contenders for the offensive coordinator job at the University of Arkansas.

Applewhite, an offensive analyst at the University of Alabama, was in town Tuesday and Wednesday interviewing for the position. Briles interviewed Monday.

Arkansas Coach Sam Pittman did not discuss the coordinators at his national signing day news conference Wednesday, nor would he confirm the additions of Rion Rhoades and Sam Carter on the defensive side of the ball.

“Well, I don’t think we’ve talked about a linebacker coach and a corners coach, but we like who we have on our staff,” Pittman said. “I would anticipate that would get completed, I don’t know, some time around Monday or Tuesday of next week.

read more:  https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019/dec/19/applewhite-briles-receive-coordinator-interviews/

30 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Hope neither gets to interview at NT. Briles because of the Baylor scandal, Applewhite, because he stinks... and he also has some baggage from that affair with the student trainer.

Wow, another "everyone has to be as perfect as me" post.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Hope neither gets to interview at NT. Briles because of the Baylor scandal, Applewhite, because he stinks... and he also has some baggage from that affair with the student trainer.

If Baylor continues to win under Matt Rhule and in the next couple years start beating out UT for the top recruits in Texas, one of 2 things will happen. Matt Rhule will either move on to the NFL or a P5 program that doesn't compete for Texas recruits, or Baylor will have another football scandal within 5 or 6 years. Mark the tape.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If Baylor continues to win under Matt Rhule and in the next couple years start beating out UT for the top recruits in Texas, one of 2 things will happen. Matt Rhule will either move on to the NFL or a P5 program that doesn't compete for Texas recruits, or Baylor will have another football scandal within 5 or 6 years. Mark the tape.

Sorry to pseudo hijack the thread, but Matt Rhule would be the perfect "next coach" for the Dallas Cowboys. The only problem with that is that Rhule would never tolerate JJ's meddling and JJ would never agree to (what I would guess to be) Rhule's "keep your hands off my daily operations".........Rhule. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Sorry to pseudo hijack the thread, but Matt Rhule would be the perfect "next coach" for the Dallas Cowboys. The only problem with that is that Rhule would never tolerate JJ's meddling and JJ would never agree to (what I would guess to be) Rhule's "keep your hands off my daily operations".........Rhule. 

He's a good coach but can we please recognize that Baylor's schedule was horrendous?  They played SFA, UTSA and Rice in their non conference and quite honestly this was a down year for little 12.

Just now, Harry said:

He's a good coach but can we please recognize that Baylor's schedule was horrendous?  They played SFA, UTSA and Rice in their non conference and quite honestly this was a down year for little 12.

Well, at least they didn't allow them to score 31 on us like ACU. 

But as a NFL coach Rhule wouldn't have to deal with recruitment. That would shift his focus to actually "coaching" and developing the players he has on his team.

Well, come to think of it, then he would have to shift his focus from the aggravation of recruitment to the aggravation of Jerry Jones.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I've noticed Nick Saban is in the habit of hiring bad coaches

If only he would understand what a good coach is maybe he could be successful 

Major Applewhite is not a coach on Nick Saban's staff, he is a reclamation project like Butch Jones known as an analyst. He makes like $30k a year. He was an actual coach for Nick Saban once. He was Nick's OC his first year at Bama when they lost to ULM. He was chased back to Austin where he became the running backs coach after only that one season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, at least they didn't allow them to score 31 on us like ACU. 

But as a NFL coach Rhule wouldn't have to deal with recruitment. That would shift his focus to actually "coaching" and developing the players he has on his team.

Well, come to think of it, then he would have to shift his focus from the aggravation of recruitment to the aggravation of Jerry Jones.  

ACU did score 27 against Baylor last season(2018).

15 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I've noticed Nick Saban is in the habit of hiring bad coaches

If only he would understand what a good coach is maybe he could be successful 

The joke woud have stuck...about three years ago. However turnover has been so high at Alabama in the last few years that Saban has indeed started to hire just about anyone who ever was an FBS level head coach, no matter whether they were any good. This wasn't necessarily of his choice either I think.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, outoftown said:

The joke woud have stuck...about three years ago. However turnover has been so high at Alabama in the last few years that Saban has indeed started to hire just about anyone who ever was an FBS level head coach, no matter whether they were any good. This wasn't necessarily of his choice either I think.

There’s a great documentary running on HBO right now, maybe ya’ll have seen it called “The Art Of Coaching”.   It’s about Nick Saban and Bill Belicheck,....the two most winningest, successful current coaches in college and pro football.

Its amazing but not surprising how similar they are.  But also not surprising is both are DEFENSE first coaches.  

Current and future coaches couldn’t have a more crystal clear example of how to succeed in football than the philosophy both men follow.  

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2