OC wish list

Cr1028

8 hours ago, southsideguy said:

How do we know we don't have a qb, didn't see our backup guys play much but I am not sold on Bean as the starting qb at all.

Not sold on him, but admit you have not seen him play much.

Apparently, It would be impossible for you to be sold on any QB currently on the team or likely any that QB could conceivably get. 

Bean looked fine ( no pun intended) in what little he played last year.  He would add a dimension as a dual threat QB that NT hasn't had in a long time. 

Is Bean the answer, I don't know anymore than you know he is not. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sold on him, but admit you have not seen him play much.

Apparently, It would be impossible for you to be sold on any QB currently on the team or likely any that QB could conceivably get. 

Bean looked fine ( no pun intended) in what little he played last year.  He would add a dimension as a dual threat QB that NT hasn't had in a long time. 

Is Bean the answer, I don't know anymore than you know he is not. 

I am only going my the amount of INT he threw while in the game, he is fast for sure but I think he might have had more completions to the other team.

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

I'm officially concerned that there has been NO news on any potential hires. Prepare to be underwhelmed. 

Coaches convention starts a week from now. I’d imagine some news would start trucking out within a week or two after that. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I am only going my the amount of INT he threw while in the game, he is fast for sure but I think he might have had more completions to the other team.

Actually he was 22-35 with 3 interceptions.

Way too many interceptions, but really not much to base an opinion on: good or bad. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Way too many interceptions, but really not much to base an opinion on: good or bad. 

One pick for every ten passes isn’t great. Him as QB makes us a true RPO offense. That’s okay, but it is what it is. He’s not Fine, and that’s okay, too. GMG!

• Upvote 1

Regarding an OC, I would rather have the right hire than the splash hire.  What I mean is, back when Clemson elevated Sweeney to head coach, it barely made a blip with the media.  He had been their WR coach for the majority of his time there and look how that has turned out.  I trust SL and WB to make the right decision to move us forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Regarding an OC, I would rather have the right hire than the splash hire.  What I mean is, back when Clemson elevated Sweeney to head coach, it barely made a blip with the media.  He had been their WR coach for the majority of his time there and look how that has turned out.  I trust SL and WB to make the right decision to move us forward.

Although I’d argue Graham Harrell was more of a splash hire than ho-hum hire and he seems in retrospect to have been the right hire 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Although I’d argue Graham Harrell was more of a splash hire than ho-hum hire and he seems in retrospect to have been the right hire 

I'm not sure that it's been mentioned in this thread, but I think it's more to the point that Harrell was never on OC before coming here, and only had one year as a position coach (outside wide receivers for WSU under Mike Leach). I think it's relevant to mention this, since a lot of this thread has focused on those with OC experience. So, maybe we should start thinking about position coaches in systems where the HC does the play calling, like this guy: https://wsucougars.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/steve-spurrier-jr-/2763. I mean, it may not be a "splash hire" based on OC experience, but the name might resonate, and the guy can probably coach.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Pittman at Arkansas has completed putting his new staff together.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/pittman-completes-on-field-staff/

Pittman is a big time recruiter.  I don't mean that to say he's flashy or anything, just that he just understands the recruiting process very well and is a very hard worker.   His staff seems to reflect that as well.  Interesting that two of our former assistants are there.  Brad Davis was a stud recruiter for us when he was here, albeit for a cup of coffee.  LeBlanc was here after Kentucky and was also a good recruiter.   Kendall Briles is a proven OC who can land talents.  That said they are in the SEC West.   It will be interesting to see how Pittman fares at Arkansas. 

On 1/6/2020 at 1:02 AM, GrandGreen said:

Drew Brees also threw 3 INTs in his first game in the NFL and look how that turned out. Just saying we have too small a sample size on Bean to already cast judgment on him. Especially in a game I seriously doubt he thought he would be playing in. Give him time to grow and learn. I like him because it is clear the game is shifting towards dual threat QBs. Look at which QBs are still left in the NFL playoffs 

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Drew Brees also threw 3 INTs in his first game in the NFL and look how that turned out. Just saying we have too small a sample size on Bean to already cast judgment on him. Especially in a game I seriously doubt he thought he would be playing in. Give him time to grow and learn. I like him because it is clear the game is shifting towards dual threat QBs. Look at which QBs are still left in the NFL playoffs 

Sometimes you can just tell right away.

I think most people saw Brees' first game and could see the potential, despite the potential.  All I keep reading about Bean is speed...not potential.

Bean has been with the program for one year right? In his defense, there could be a ton of room to develop.  Similar to how Mason developed his long ball going into year 2.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Sometimes you can just tell right away.

I think most people saw Brees' first game and could see the potential, despite the potential.  All I keep reading about Bean is speed...not potential.

Bean has been with the program for one year right? In his defense, there could be a ton of room to develop.  Similar to how Mason developed his long ball going into year 2.

I mean, yeah, saw his potential so much that they threatened to bench him where he forced their hand into trading him to the Saints. 

His interceptions also came against some of the best defenses we faced this season. Not easy for any freshman. 

He has the gifts, I think it just boils down to his decision making which comes with game reps. I am not ready to throw in the towel on him yet. Though, I am impartial to Bean or Aune, just based on very limited evidence I have seen. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Beer4Pres said:

What are the opinions on Mainord?  OC experience in SEC, flexible with WR or QB coaching. With Seth calling the plays, why not promote Mainord and hire a WR/QB coach?  Does Mainord not want the job?

I like Mainord a lot and have heard very good things about him.  I would be ok with him being OC, I just figured maybe he didn't want the gig.  He certainly has the experience and to my understanding is a good recruiter.

I think what hurts him is he was part of the 4-8 staff and perhaps they want to reboot and bring in some new ideas etc..