OC wish list

Cr1028

I've found two name that make sense to me...

Gunter Brewer- WR Coach at Louisville ($350,000 current salary)

Joker Phillips- WR Coach at Maryland ($375,000 current salary)

Rich Rodriguez is out as the Ole Miss OC, but we probably don;t have a shot at him.

Thought Police, enjoy down-voting this post.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

When it comes to potential, we have some sort of chronic inferiority complex.

We should be looking at the FAU hires and put this BS, don't-bother-trying, attitude to rest.  

I agree. I believe we should be hiring on par with FAU. That's why I questioned the Bowen hire. My comment about Rich Rod is based on the likelihood of another P5 snatching him up.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, meangreen10 said:

I think he’s gotta be in a good position for a decent P5

Here's my rationale on Chris Petersen:

Chris Petersen just quit his job at Washington citing too much stress and anxiety associated with the job. North Texas needs to present him with a job package tailor-made to his present circumstances. North Texas could offer him full control of the offense with little stress associated with the job. He would not have to deal with the boosters, university officials, business people, and other hangers-on that inevitably come along with big-time college football jobs. All he has to do is be the offensive guru. Would he make as much money as being the head coach at Washington? No, of course not. But he also wouldn't have to deal with a lot of the problems.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

That's Mr. Safeway Bowl himself, former UNT head coach Matt Simon.

When did he coach there? Wait. I just googled it. I had just left UNT to enter active duty military service the year before his arrival and spent most of his tenure at UNT stationed in Germany. Wasn't hearing anything about UNT football in Europe. No internet readily available at that time and AFN sucked back then. Could only watch whatever football game they decided to show and UNT was not one of them.

Edited by Venson
Grammar
  • Lovely Take 2

7 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

Here's my rationale on Chris Petersen:

Chris Petersen just quit his job at Washington citing too much stress and anxiety associated with the job. North Texas needs to present him with a job package tailor-made to his present circumstances. North Texas could offer him full control of the offense with little stress associated with the job. He would not have to deal with the boosters, university officials, business people, and other hangers-on that inevitably come along with big-time college football jobs. All he has to do is be the offensive guru. Would he make as much money as being the head coach at Washington? No, of course not. But he also wouldn't have to deal with a lot of the problems.

Worth the thought

• Lovely Take 3

19 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

My pick for OC is Tim Beck. He check a lot of boxes.

Seth Connection- Check. Was with Mangino at Kansas. Was with Ed Warinner at Ohio State and Kansas.

Play Calling Experience- Check. Has called plays at Nebraska, Ohio State and Texas

Success - Check. He has has offensive success at every stop. If you watched Texas this year offense wasn't the problem.

TXHSFB connection - Check. He has spent over half a decade as a TXHSFB head coach

Why would he come to North Texas? To get out of the dumpster fire that is currently UT football. He and Orlando were the scapegoats for the season that was on the 40 acres. His contract runs out after Texas bowl game. He has been removed a play caller. I believe coaches are prideful creatures and he would rather have an OC job than take demotion as QB coach. Even thought we are down on Seth at the moment I still believe in the NCAA coaching community Seth is still viewed as a rising star and on the up and coming. Tim could turn the OC job into another P5 OC job or potentially a HC job. 

Coaching Career

1988–1989 Miramar HS (FL) (assistant)
1990 Illinois State (LB/P)
1991–1992 Kansas State (GA)
1993–1995 Saguaro HS (AZ)
1996–1997 Missouri State (assistant)
1998 Missouri State (OC)
1999–2001 R. L. Turner HS (TX)
2002–2004 ) Mansfield Summit HS (TX)
2005–2006 Kansas (WR)
2007 Kansas (WR/PGC)
2008–2010 Nebraska (RB)
2011–2014 Nebraska (OC/QB)
2015–2016 Ohio State (co-OC/QB)
2017–2019 Texas (OC/QB)
2019–present Texas (QB)

I like it. That kind of high level experience on both sides of the ball would do wonders. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Not only that but I was hearing that Beck would be let go before their spring game anyhow, either after the bowl game or after the regular signing day in February.

and Herman is even on record saying its not due to performance. Just at Texas 7-5 wasn't acceptable and he had to find some scapegoats

• Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

So what was the deal with Simon. Was he that bad of a coach at NT, or did he loudly complain too much about the no-win schedule he was presented with every year?

Wow, you asking this question had me look up the records for the coaches and the schedules they faced the 1995 schedule may be the toughest I’ve ever seen. The 1998 schedule wasn’t far behind.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Seth Connection- Check. Was with Mangino at Kansas. Was with Ed Warinner at Ohio State and Kansas.

Play Calling Experience- Check. Has called plays at Nebraska, Ohio State and Texas

Success - Check. He has has offensive success at every stop. If you watched Texas this year offense wasn't the problem.

TXHSFB connection - Check. He has spent over half a decade as a TXHSFB head coach

Why would he come to North Texas? To get out of the dumpster fire that is currently UT football. He and Orlando were the scapegoats for the season that was on the 40 acres. His contract runs out after Texas bowl game. He has been removed a play caller. I believe coaches are prideful creatures and he would rather have an OC job than take demotion as QB coach. Even thought we are down on Seth at the moment I still believe in the NCAA coaching community Seth is still viewed as a rising star and on the up and coming. Tim could turn the OC job into another P5 OC job or potentially a HC job. 

Coaching Career

1998 Missouri State (OC)
2005–2006 Kansas (WR)
2007 Kansas (WR/PGC)
2008–2010 Nebraska (RB)
2017–2019 Texas (OC/QB)
2019–present Texas (QB)

So what could we pay this guy? He’s probably around $750k a year. Are we at the point that we can do $500k?

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Coaching Career

1998 Missouri State (OC)
2005–2006 Kansas (WR)
2007 Kansas (WR/PGC)
2008–2010 Nebraska (RB)
2017–2019 Texas (OC/QB)
2019–present Texas (QB)

To add to what you said, he can look out West to Graham Harrell and see what a worthwhile OC can achieve coming out of Seth’s program. Additionally, I love the Warinner connection.

My Texas season ticket holder friend says he is a great recruiter and qb coach, he just questions his play calling, well I question Tom Herman’s so I think we are good.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

If you watched Texas this year offense wasn't the problem.

I did watch Texas football this year and it was a problem against OU, TCU, Baylor, and Iowa State. It's not surprising how much they scored on inferior Big 12 defenses in the instances they won.  His play calling is predictable. Texas offense, when the passing game didn't work he basically just relied on Sam Ehlinger as a battering ram.  We do not need Tim Beck.  He is a horrible coach and the only reason Texas had any success on offense this season is because Sam Ehlinger is a helluva competitor.  He carried that team as far as he could with ***** coaching from his OC and it's been ***** OC coaching since Beck got there. 

• Downvote 1

Coaching Career

1998 Missouri State (OC)
2005–2006 Kansas (WR)
2007 Kansas (WR/PGC)
2008–2010 Nebraska (RB)
2017–2019 Texas (OC/QB)
2019–present Texas (QB)

Beck would make a lot of sense. It also explains why we are still waiting for an announcement on the OC hire. FAU hired Mehringer as their new OC (formerly the WR and passing game coordinator at Texas. Was fired on Dec 1).

With both Line coaching position open, I would who the new coordinators are looking to hire?

Great job of finding a home run OC option TRjD!

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I did watch Texas football this year and it was a problem against OU, TCU, Baylor, and Iowa State. It's not surprising how much they scored on inferior Big 12 defenses in the instances they won.  His play calling is predictable. Texas offense, when the passing game didn't work he basically just relied on Sam Ehlinger as a battering ram.  We do not need Tim Beck.  He is a horrible coach and the only reason Texas had any success on offense this season is because Sam Ehlinger is a helluva competitor.  He carried that team as far as he could with ***** coaching from his OC and it's been ***** OC coaching since Beck got there. 

when your quarterback is a running back it is hard to air it out.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

when your quarterback is a running back it is hard to air it out.

Sam has a good arm.  He's made some pretty passes.  I blame play calling, though that actually might be on Herman.  I think I forgot that he took over play calling after last year or the year before...with that being said do we really want Beck if he had play calling duties taken from him at his last job?  I'm just saying I am not at all impressed by him or his offense.

Just now, peanuts104 said:

Sam has a good arm.  He's made some pretty passes.  I blame play calling, though that actually might be on Herman.  I think I forgot that he took over play calling after last year or the year before...with that being said do we really want Beck if he had play calling duties taken from him at his last job?  I'm just saying I am not at all impressed by him or his offense.

well at least he would be prepared for when SL puts him in the corner in order to call plays again 😉